VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Veterans "gaming" the system for PTSD claims?

Rate this question

Jimmer

Question

Hi Everyone, I wanted to share with you a article that I read on military.com in which a Bruce (whatever his last name is) testified to a group on how the veterans are "gaming" the system, and getting PTSD claims approved.  First of all, I would like to meet this guy face-to-face and tell him what an idiot he is. (I would like to do more, but restraint  would be necessary).  First of all a V.A. doctor has to determine that you have PTSD, not someone from the outside.  Does this clown think the V.A. doctors are willing to "look the other way" on claims?  Quite the opposite.  Then you have to have a "stressor", that ties the PTSD with an military event related to the PTSD.  It took me four years to get PTSD disability, and the V.A. went thru everything with a fine tooth comb.  Lucky, I c-file confirmed my "stressor", and I had been going to the V.A. mental health facilities, meeting with various doctors, sessions, etc.  I still see them three times a month, and take five different  medications.  This guy, Bruce, based his information on veterans talking to one other about applying, saying it was easy, blah, blah, blah.  I don't know of any vet that has received disability compensation for PTSD, that had an easy road, and I have talked to a lot of them.   It is comments like this, that really anger, me, and gives the false impression, that vets are just "scamming" the system, and a way to give fuel to cut disability benefits.   I would love to here you comments, especially those of you getting PTSD disability benefits.  I am sure you did not have any easy road, the V.A. makes sure of that!

16 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

I think its for evaluations.

Disability Evaluation for Retention, Retirement, or Separation

Yes, the medical board in Vietnam didn’t know the reason, but at first thought it might be Chloroquine, so they gave it to me and observed over and over and over, but nothing. The swelling was abnormal, and I know it wasn’t the Chloroquine, but maybe something else they were testing. We were given Chloroquine in the USA before we went over to prevent these future allergies weren’t we? DoD would not do something so stupid as send troops to the other side of the earth and just hope there was no problems. 

They didn’t know about Agent Orange supposedly, and I believed it for a little bit, until I woke up to the VA WAY. 

They do deceive, cover up, LIE, and what ever it takes to stall, put off, and allow you to parish without any remorse. They may correct something, when they get nailed, and not because they want to.

victor ray

• HadIt.com Elder

Victor

When you got out at separation..where was you separated (location)

for me it was Oakland Calif , I vaguely remember part of it, they gave me a some paper pencil and clip board I had to go to each of these check out stations , they had me turn in everything I had brought back from Nam called it contraband even pics & souvenirs ...anyway I was suppose to go through all these test and have the Sgt or Officer to check the list I had and put a check mark in the box   from that particular station/dept.

like Qquartermaster,  , Shipping & Receiving, turned in most of my Army Fatigues,got to keep a field jacket and liner one of the NCO's pitched to me  said here stuff this in your duffel.

I was suppose to had a complete medical physical  but all the Dr did was grab my clipboard and sign off on it, they was suppose to check me out pretty good  instead the just ask me if I had any medical problems at this time..I said no  ..I was suppose to have been given a Hearing Test, Eye Sight Test,

A complete medical physical..I was not 

they all just check off the boxes that were there dept..I was Greengo Back then...all I wanted was to just get out & go downtown with my buddy (he was in the Special Forces G beret ) and wore his uniform..I went and got me some new civilian Duds

They gave us a Steak Dinner and some locals was telling us where to go to check out some nice women(I was Not Married) 20 years old..,Down town San Francisco 

After that night I woke up in a slummy Motel Room  my wallet laid in the floor by the door  yep empty...My fault..anyway called my Mom  she paid for my plane fare back to Dallas  and that was the end of my military

...I had known today I'd need all my records  any records  you betcha I would have ask for everything and kept everything...I tell my grand son Medic in US Army, if he he goes in for a cold or nnose bleed  get that on record and ask for the record few days later...if you have something bad that happens later after Military  your going to need every Record the Army has on you.

Maybe you have this record check out list?

1 hour ago, Berta said:

Victor-this is my search link because much popped up for AR 635-40 and one link is supereded by the other- so it has changed-dont know what regulation your discharge would fall under.

https://www.google.com/search?q=AR+635-40&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS695US695&oq=AR+635-40&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.4023j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

PEBLO Physical Evaluation Board Liason Officer-

I noticed here years ago OEF vets needed a PEBLO but the Mil had not hire enough of them...

" If they had their way completely, we would still not know what AO is, or what it did and continues to do."

Yeah , and the movie "Unnatural Causes" is a true story:

https://www.nytimes.com/1986/11/10/arts/nbc-film-on-agent-orange-dispute.htm

When Maude Devictor, as a VA employee, started to see unusual disabilities in Vietnam vets ( attributed now to AO) she was reduced too having her office at VA ,put into a broom closet.

They did this not long ago to aother VA employee, a doctor, because he spoke out about too much the VA wants to hide.

Agent Orange is still killing Vietnam vets- and the Shulkin fiasco again put the potential new AO presumptives on the backburner----but maybe Blue Waters will finally have a chance wityh HR 299.

Berta, I read the review and can’t believe I missed it, but in 1983 when they lied and denied any service connection, for any skin conditions, Residuals, after I was issued a P-3 permanent profile with permanent defects, medivac’d out of Vietnam, developed one condition after the other, all in the Line of Duty as recorded, I was crushed. I couldn’t even talk about the VA for the hatred, so I avoided everything I saw about it.

10 years earlier (1974) at 22 years old I wound up in a rehab for alcohol and drugs, and was a bone with skin on it. I hated the alcohol, but loved the numbness and altered State it put me in, but no idea why. I knew I changed the second I felt a pop in my brain, and I have never recovered, but found out I have some dead white brain matter, and that has to be in the records they are hiding. They would rather me croak than admit it. 

So far I have had 24 intentional tumors/polyps removed and am due for another colonoscopy because it’s been 3 years. I qualified for FAP TESTING, having over 10 polyps removed at the same time(actually 18), and the test showed they were environmentally acquired, not inherited. I have had malignant shin cancer removed, so it’s a matter of time. My atherosclerosis is off the chart though so anything can happen. Life is one day at a time.

I think this whole thing has been one big CUE or MALPRACTICE. If those records would have been given to me, I would have been granted disability retirement, and the outcome totally the opposite.  Thanks for all your help Berta. You all are great!

victor ray

33 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

Victor

When you got out at separation..where was you separated (location)

for me it was Oakland Calif , I vaguely remember part of it, they gave me a some paper pencil and clip board I had to go to each of these check out stations , they had me turn in everything I had brought back from Nam called it contraband even pics & souvenirs ...anyway I was suppose to go through all these test and have the Sgt or Officer to check the list I had and put a check mark in the box   from that particular station/dept.

like Qquartermaster,  , Shipping & Receiving, turned in most of my Army Fatigues,got to keep a field jacket and liner one of the NCO's pitched to me  said here stuff this in your duffel.

I was suppose to had a complete medical physical  but all the Dr did was grab my clipboard and sign off on it, they was suppose to check me out pretty good  instead the just ask me if I had any medical problems at this time..I said no  ..I was suppose to have been given a Hearing Test, Eye Sight Test,

A complete medical physical..I was not 

they all just check off the boxes that were there dept..I was Greengo Back then...all I wanted was to just get out & go downtown with my buddy (he was in the Special Forces G beret ) and wore his uniform..I went and got me some new civilian Duds

They gave us a Steak Dinner and some locals was telling us where to go to check out some nice women(I was Not Married) 20 years old..,Down town San Francisco 

After that night I woke up in a slummy Motel Room  my wallet laid in the floor by the door  yep empty...My fault..anyway called my Mom  she paid for my plane fare back to Dallas  and that was the end of my military

...I had known today I'd need all my records  any records  you betcha I would have ask for everything and kept everything...I tell my grand son Medic in US Army, if he he goes in for a cold or nnose bleed  get that on record and ask for the record few days later...if you have something bad that happens later after Military  your going to need every Record the Army has on you.

Maybe you have this record check out list?

Buck.

I came  back from Vietnam on C-141 medical plan,  I think that was the model, and we were all changed over to military medical buses in beds,  and taken to our respective wards  at Great Lakes Naval Hospital Chicago Illinois.  I was taking to the infectious disease ward for further observation and came back in a light blue hospital gown, flip-flops, and wallet in hand, that’s it,  besides a folder with medical records for the hospital.

I was discharged from Redstone Arsenal missile base in Huntsville Alabama.  I had a hearing test and they changed my profile from (PULHES) One 1 to a two 2, and recommended further testing which they did not give. I had a physical and was told that if I said I had any issues on anything, I would not be discharged, but held on duty. I went along with everything just to get out to get real help. I still had lung issues, migraines, fatigue, everything, but they didn’t even treat me with antibiotics for GAS/GAB. 

Luckily, a buddy got out  couple days before me, but weighted until I got out and drove me home to my wife and 2 kids, and we towed his motor cycle. I’m grateful that he stayed to help, cause I don’t know how it would have been done. Within 6 months I was in ER in a comatose state, fever of 106+,  convulsions, seizures, but ice baths and antibiotics of some sort saved me and stabilized me for a while. 

No party or celebration. I was sick but glad to be home. I had my DD214, P-3 profile and the rest must have gone to the National Gard Unit I got assigned to due to an early out, because I didn’t have anything that I remember. I think a few finance papers, travel orders home, some cloths, the records I do have came from the NPRC, NARA and VA. I couldn’t get the medical records even from the clinic across the street.

it would be different if I would have gotten them. I was pissed, but what can you do when it comes to the government. Plenty, I have learned, but at the time I thought no one can argue with the government. 

Victor ray

• HadIt.com Elder

Roger That

I was looking at how to get your DD 214,If you didn't get one  or it never had your military service on it.

The place that checks on this mention that any type record a veteran has can help them, any travel records, TDY Orders, unit reports, if he had any awards or certificates, training exercise certificates  , the certifications with a weapon from basic training  like expert rifle badge  sharpshooter badge any military form with your name on it and service #

I was thinking if you get a New DD 214 they will have all your military awards certificates, badges metals ribbons ect,,ect,,, on your new DD 214...

I also check on a place that did reconstruct of military records  but I think it was the same place I got this DD 214 Information??  

I'll  recheck

If the VA Concedes your Records are no where to be found...They should be away for you to get your claims adjudicated  from presumption of facts..your lay statements? 

This is why maybe its better for you to talk to an attorney with this type claims  or no records ,so how would a Veteran such as your self prove his claims....with no records the VA or Military Lost?

• HadIt.com Elder

VictorRay  Not sure this will help  I been researching things about Presumption of facts to adjuicate claims 

This is a long read but you may wan to just scroll down until you come to some interesting reading.

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R41405.pdf