Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

AO and Hypertension?

Rate this question

john999

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Has the VA made a service connected and compensable link between exposure to AO and high blood pressure.  I got the AO Registry letter today and I can't decide what they are saying except it sounds like a time delaying hedge.

• Answers 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes,  and if the spouse is married for at least 8 years before the vet croaks she/he is entitled to an extra couple of hundred dollars in DIC.  All told it is about $1400 a month.  This is not much money and I can't quite understand why the spouse is not entitled to the full amount of the vet's compensation.  With SSA the surviving spouse is entitled to all of the dead spouse's SSA.   Let us say the surviving spouse is 70 years old.  Now she/he must survive on half the money they were getting before the death of the vet.  If they have rent, mortgage,  loan or car payment you can't pay that on less than 50% of vet's pay.  I don't have a scanner but I could mail my copy of AO Letter to Hadit or your address Gastone.   One question I have is after 20 years of being P&T TDIU will that rating become permanent?  I am 90% now and need a new 50% rating to get to scheduler 100%.  I don't see this in my future unless I get a lot sicker.

• HadIt.com Elder

John999 

I'm not Gastone

but on your TDIU P&T rating  if you have that rating 20 consecutive years  the 20 year rule should be good for your permanent rating disability.

check out the M-21 CFR'38 3.951  3.952  (a) & (b) on The 20 year protection Rule.

Just go from your TDIU Award date and count  20 years.   some say we can go by the EED But from my understanding on this they go by your original Award date for the 20 year rule.

if they go back to a 90% combined rating  that  don't seem right to me and I'd sure raise cane about it if they did that.

all that changes when you have your 50% extra rating is that you will be considered the scheduler 100%  but also remember  TDIU Rating is 100% because your being paid at the 100% rate.

Here is some of my VA PCP  Diagnoses, some are for just general sickness  but some I could file claims on .Although I do have a s.c. PTSD Rating at 70%

Not sure what THIS MEANS?

DIAGNOSIS: Administrative reason for encounter (SCT 185351004) ???

DIAGNOSIS: Administrative reason for encounter (SCT 185351004) Gastroesophageal reflux disease (SCT 235595009) Dupuytren's contracture (SCT 274142002) Bronchitis (SCT 32398004) Dyslipidemia (SCT 370992007) Osteoarthritis (SCT 396275006) Megaloblastic anemia due to vitamin B>12< deficiency (SCT 49472006) History of male erectile disorder (SCT 429031006) Chronic post-traumatic stress disorder (SCT 313182004) Inflammation of bursa (SCT 84017003) Sleep apnea (SCT 73430006) Allergic rhinitis (SCT 61582004) Enlarged prostate (SCT 249607009) Post-traumatic stress disorder (SCT 47505003) Gastroesophageal reflux disease (SCT 235595009) Depression (SCT 35489007) Dupuytren's contracture (SCT 274142002) Rosacea (ICD-9-CM 695.3) Bronchitis (ICD-9-CM 490.) Upper Respiratory Infections (ICD-9-CM 465.9) BENIGN NEO SKIN EYELID (ICD-9-CM 216.1) REFRACTION DISORDER NOS (ICD-9-CM 367.9) HYPERLIPID

Edited by Buck52

Gastone stated:

"The Spouse is only eligible for DIC during the 10 Yrs after the initial SC Award if the Vet Dies of an SC condition. After the 10 Yr mark is reached, regardless of cause of the Vet's death, she's DIC eligible."

Right- if the death certificate is for a non SC issue ( Primary condition # 1) but if  a SC condition is put into # 2 on the death certificate as substantially contributing to death, that too should attain a DIC award.

"I believe there is one additional qualify for pre and post 10 Yr eligibility, she has to have been married to the Vet for something like 10 months, no last minute sign on."

The regs say married to the veteran ' for one full year 'prior to death.......

This is why Carlie's legal wife was not eligible for DIC. The only reason.

I think VA's rationale long ago for the one year requirement was to protect vets who were expected to die.

We had a widow at hadit many many years ago who claimed she married her husband in a VA hospital and he died a few weeks later. Her DIC was denied. She didnt even know what he was SCed for- if anything.

The VA recognizes common law marriages if they are in common law states and satisfy the one year prior to death requirement.

It is good this subject pops up here and is covered well in our DIC forum.

It is always possible that-if the VA adds more AO presumptives, there might well be widows of vets who died with a new AO presumptive as causing or contributing to their death and they will have a valid DIC claim, unless they already get DIC.

I just hope that all incountry Vietnam veterans and/or  their survivors will learn of any new presumptives, if they are added-either through news media or the internet.

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder
On 12/16/2017 at 9:14 AM, Gastone said:

Nehmer Ruling will take care of any Staged Retro related to an improbable future addition of Hypertension to the AO Presumptive List. If you were Denied pre-12/2017 for AO related Hypertension, just have to see how this plays out for you and/or your Heirs. A new HBP 10% SC won't present any financial gain for a 70%+ SC Vet.  Risk verses Reward?

If a Nam Vet, say around 72 yrs of age with an IU Rating based on 70% PTSD less than 5 years old were to file a New AO Hypertension Claim, that IU Rating would be open for Review.

That just happened (09/17) to a Local Nam Vet that was just trying to get his 26 yr old daughter on an AO associated Learning Disability List in the event her condition was ever added to the AO Presumptives List.

Both he and his VSR thought that it was a good idea to file the Claim, right up until he got the PTSD C & P followed by an FDC Denial and Rating Dept notification that his 21/2 yr PTSD Rating was being substantially reduced and consequently he was loosing the IU T & P No Future Exam Rating. He's Appealing the Reduction but from talking to him, he really regrets filing the New Claim.

Gastone   I was thinking if a veteran had  his rating  no matter what %   if he had that rating consecutively for 20 years  then they can't reduce or propose a reduction  other than  if the V.A. proves Freud.

• HadIt.com Elder

I AM NOT SURE WHAT ALL THESE DIAGNOSE ARE?

IF ANY ARE on  the  A.O. Presumption List?

? Megaloblastic anemia due to vitamin B>12< deficiency (SCT

(IP: 47.187.229.119) ·  

Not sure what THIS MEANS?

DIAGNOSIS: Administrative reason for encounter (SCT 185351004) ???

DIAGNOSIS: Administrative reason for encounter (SCT 185351004)

Gastroesophageal reflux disease (SCT

235595009) Dupuytren's contracture (SCT

274142002) Bronchitis (SCT 32398004)

Dyslipidemia (SCT 370992007

) Osteoarthritis (SCT 396275006)

Megaloblastic anemia due to vitamin B>12< deficiency (SCT 49472006)

History of male erectile disorder (SCT 429031006) Chronic post-traumatic stress disorder (SCT 313182004)

Inflammation of bursa (SCT 84017003)

Sleep apnea (SCT 73430006)

Allergic rhinitis (SCT 61582004)

Enlarged prostate (SCT 249607009)

Post-traumatic stress disorder (SCT 47505003)

Gastroesophageal reflux disease (SCT

235595009) Depression

(SCT 35489007) Dupuytren's contracture (SCT 274142002

) Rosacea (ICD-9-CM 695.3)

Bronchitis (ICD-9-CM 490.)

Upper Respiratory Infections (ICD-9-CM 465.9)

BENIGN NEO SKIN EYELID (ICD-9-CM

216.1) REFRACTION DISORDER NOS (ICD-9-C

anyone know ?and know the codes to these?

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't think those DX's are directly AO related, but with a DX of PTSD many things including heart disease can be secondary.  That is like DMII which is AO presumptive.  Many other disorders can be secondary to DMII.  I wonder about the anemia.  Megaloblastic anemia should be investigated because I don't even know what it means, but all sorts of leukemia are AO presumptive.  My brother has a form of leukemia that is present but not active.  They only way you can tell is bloodwork which shows too many white blood cells.  Anemia usually means blood cells  are not acting right or too many white cells and not enough red cells etc.  That is suspicious to me. I am not a doctor but I would get a second opinion on the anemia from a real doctor.