VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SMC (S1)

Rate this question

25Unifrom50

Question

I received this notice on eBenifits after my claim was complete. Is this a permanent deal or is this a temporary award.

Entitled to special monthly compensation under 38 U.S.C. 1114, subsection (s) and 38 CFR 3.350(i) on account of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) (also claimed as acquired psychiatric condition) rated 100 percent and additional service-connected disabilities of diabetes mellitus type II, right lower extremity radiculopathy (also claimed as lower extremity diabetic neuropathy), axillary cyst (claimed as cyst under arm), pseudofolliculitis barbae and tinea pedis (formerly evaluated separately as DC 7806 pseudofolliculitis barbae and DC 7820-7806 tinea pedis), right knee patellofemoral syndrome, patellofemoral spurring and arthritis, obstructive sleep apnea with bronchitis (formerly evaluated as bronchitis), ventral hernia, lumbar spine strain with degenerative disc disease, hypertension (claimed as high blood pressure), left knee patellofemoral syndrome, left lower extremity radiculopathy (also claimed as lower extremity diabetic neuropathy), degenerative disc disease of the cervical spine (claimed as cervical spine injury), erectile dysfunction, irritable bowel syndrome (claimed as functional GI disorder), headaches, independently ratable at 60 percent or more from 07/10/2017 to 10/01/2017.

Rating Date : 01/08/2018

Thanks

• HadIt.com Elder

Congratulation  with the SMC S. 1 H.B.

They are required to award the SMC-S when a Veteran has another separate rating 60 % or more above the 100%

Obviously you meet the SMC-S Criteria.

some times they don't award the SMC And the Veteran has to file for it.

It's a permanent rating  unless you show improvement   ...if the VA gets word from your treating Dr's  then they will usually call you up for a C&P  other wise enjoy the $$ until that  actually happens ( if it does?)

It's permanent, as long as the PTSD doesn't get reduced.

The SMC S (1) "Statutory Housebound" is based strictly on a Vet having "1" SC Disability either rated itself as 100% or as in your case having an IU Award where the IU causative SC is now paid at the 100% Comp Level and you have additional SC's that excluding the IU SC, total a CSC of  a minimum 60%.

Vet's that are Scheduler CSC 100% but don't have a "Single" SC Rated individually as 100% can't get the SMC S (1) Award, they would actually have to be Housebound and have a Dr complete a supportive Housebound application.

Recently a Det Nam Vet 72+, IU T & P  No Future Exams (PTSD), filed a New FDC to get his adult Daughters Learning Disability Claimed as a possible Future AO Presumptive Award. His DAV VSO said it was a good idea, NOT!

Not only did he receive the Denial he and the DAV were expecting, he also received a notice of significant PTSD SC Reduction, that would eliminate his IU Rating and take away the SMC S (1). Of course he's Appealing the Reduction. He certainly is kicking himself in the A$$ for filing what I believe was an imprudent Claim.

Buck52, Gastone and Broncovet, thanks for the helpful information you've provided, I wasn't expecting this but I'm truly grateful indeed. I will wait for my letter before I start my happy dance.

I say Hoooah!!!

Temporary SMC S is most often associated with an add-on for a surgery where VA gives you a temporary medical 100% for a set period during recovery. It is revoked at the end of the temporary period in most cases (or reduced to a permanent rating based on the outcome. Unless VA can find a reason to reduce the 60% or more independent rating(s) that entitles you to the SMC S, you can presume it's going to be permanent. Congratulations, sir.