Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question on Loss of Hearing/Tinnitus

Rate this question

Wayne TX

Question

I was given a VA Choice exam on Dec. 14, 2017 and examiner stated I had tinnitus and bilateral sensorineural hearing loss in left ear.  He cleared me to proceed with getting an hearing aid through VAMC Audiology Clinic......now happening on Feb. 16th.   I intend to file this as a new claim secondary to existing VA disabilities.  My question do I need to get an IMO or does the VA examiner's report diagnosing my condition and medically clearing for an hearing aid is all I need to get the claim into a favorable light with RO?  Has anyone else filed for this and what did you submit to get approved?  Thanks. 

Edited by Wayne TX
typo

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

That would be a NO and a NO. The results of the Vet Choice Hearing Exam, if you didn't get a copy, should be in your MHV records by no or in the very near future.

You're SC 50% so regardless of a Hearing SC, you're eligible for Hearing Aids, possibly at no cost.

As to a Secondary Tinnitus Claim, no testing available, just your reported symptoms and timeline. Do you have a CIB, Heart or Bronze w/V?

Which SC do you believe is the Nexus for your Secondary Hearing loss? How about posting the redacted copy of your MHV ClinivianTreatment Notes from the 12/17  Audiology exam. 

Hearing loss, if Service Connected will be rated based on the Hearing C & P computer Generated Frequency Loss Hearing Test and the Recorded Results of the Wisconsin Word Recognition actual or "Guess" results. Anything over 90% is a problem, usually ends up with an SC 0% for the Hearing loss.

As to whether or not you need an IMO/IME, this largely depends on the evidence.  Did the audiologist opine that your hearing loss was related to a Service connected condition?  This is the evidence you need, and if you have it you probably dont need an IMO/IME.  

However, if you do "not" have the nexus statement in your records, yes, you will need that evidence either with another VA doc or audiologist, or with an IMO/IME.  

With Secondary conditions, you need 2 Caluza elements:

1.  Current diagnosis of hearing loss.

2.  Nexus, or statement from a qualified medical person (or audiologist) that your hearing loss is at least as likely as not due to (your secondary condition), and then he has to give his reasons for saying this.  

Yes, I am service connected for hearing loss, but not secondary to other SC conditions.  Even tho I had the "full" CAluza element deck, I had to appeal to get the stubborn VA to award SC for hearing loss.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Once service connection has been established  then it depends on the hearing test #  how bad your hearing is ?  it is pretty rough to get a % for hearing loss  unless your dang near deaf  testing is  done without hearing aids.  

Broncovet can tell you the rating criteria threshold  #'s for the ratings in hearing loss  and the percentage of the Maryland CNC Word discrimination testing  I think there pretty high....for 50% or more for hearing loss.

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

BroncoVet.......the civilian examiner did not include it as being svc. connected in his report but he had no other records or my C-File either.......so I guess I need an IMO now before filing.   I have (1) covered and need to obtain (2).

Gastone......will answer your questions tomorrow.......going back to VAMC in the morning to get a copy from Release.........it will have the numbers reading.

• HadIt.com Elder

Wayne Tx

Just a suggestion

AS I understand you have a DRO HEARING ON APPEAL Correct? for another condition?

if you file a new claim for hearing loss it may delay your Appeal   not so sure  but  unless you already filed for the hearing loss and is in part of your appeals if this claim for hearing loss is new?

you may want to file the ITF ( INTENT TO FILE) for hearing loss before you actually hit the send button if this a  new hearing loss claim?

Also if you get the test back from records fioa release  put the  testing # on here .

if you don't meet the rating criteria for hearing loss don't worrying  because  if you have noise induced hearing loss it will get worse over time. if you get a 0% rating for hearing loss thats a good start. service connection is a big deal   ..you can always file for increase in your hearing loss.

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!