VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hearing Loss......need someone to interpret the numbers?

Rate this question

Wayne TX

Question

Got a copy of my C&P Exam today at VAMC......... under Diagnosis, got X's in Right Ear for Sensorineural hearing loss between 500-4000 Hz and frequency range of 6000 or higher,  and in Left Ear X's s for Mixed Hearing Loss, sensorieneural hearing loss in 500-4000 Hz and frequency range of 6000 and higher.  Hoping someone here can tell me something who can decipher what all this means.........basically did I pass or fail  my Hearing Test in VA's World? 

Hearing Test.jpg

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

• HadIt.com Elder

Wayne TX,,

Since you have this C&P Loss of Hearing report in your hand

(which is good I never seen them get them out that fast  usually its a week or at least 3 business days.)

Anyway

This chart may help you  check your exam #''s and compare them with this chart.

http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/theears.html#system

:Source Military Disability Made Easy

Edited by Buck52

Based on 94% speech discrimination, this looks like a maximum of 10 percent for hearing loss, or, more likely, 0 percent.  Yes, if you reported "ringing in the ears", you should get tinnitus at 10 percent.  

My estimate for hearing loss/tinnitus would be 10 percent.  

I didn't see anything addressing Tinnitus Symptoms. What was your MOS?

Is this a Direct or Secondary Hearing Claim? With a Maryland, Recorded Speech Recognition Score of (94%) expect a 0% SC.

If you are not already service connected for hearing, your SMRs will need to show a threshold shift from your entry exam to get the important service connection. They do not use the 6000 level, however. You need a Sensorineural Hearing Loss (in the frequency range of 500-4000hz)

The following was judged for me:  the Veteran’s DD214 reflects that his military occupational specialty (MOS) was an Explosive Ordinance Disposal, Deep Sea Diver, Boatswain’s Mate (Assault Boat Coxswain) and Engineman. These MOSs have been determined by the Department of Defense (DOD) to involve high to moderate probability of hazardous noise exposure. See DOD Duty MOS Noise exposure Listing and VA Fast Letter 10-35 (September 2, 2010) (discussing the Duty MOS Noise Exposure Listing).

I did not have a record of Tinnitus while on active duty, but the presumption was made based on the threshold shift (hearing loss) and the Fast Letter that I was probably telling the truth. 

• HadIt.com Elder

As i understand it the lower the percentage is on the word discrimination test the higher the rating  100% would normal.

Normal speech discrimination is 100%, mild 85-95%, moderate 70-80%, poor 60-70%, very poor 40-50%, below 35% very severely impaired.'' 

if you answer more than 50 %of the words then that would fall under the moderate area  which is only about a 10% rating.

Gastone as I understand it has established S.C. and mention to the Audiologist about the ringing in his ears  (they wrote that down) hopefully as tinnitus.

As  most of know this as tinnitus , I believe they will give him the 10% for tinnitus  but will probably screw him out of his hearing loss.

what gets me is   on his left ear its showing he has severe hearing loss and word test is  better? on his right ear it has no loss of hearing or anything for comp purposes but has a worse word test score.  something don't seem right on that.

• HadIt.com Elder
19 hours ago, Wayne TX said:

Got a copy of my C&P Exam today at VAMC......... under Diagnosis, got X's in Right Ear for Sensorineural hearing loss between 500-4000 Hz and frequency range of 6000 or higher,  and in Left Ear X's s for Mixed Hearing Loss, sensorieneural hearing loss in 500-4000 Hz and frequency range of 6000 and higher.  Hoping someone here can tell me something who can decipher what all this means.........basically did I pass or fail  my Hearing Test in VA's World? 

Hearing Test.jpg

EODCMC

They show the 6000 on the Air Conduction test, look at the results above.

Also look at the word test in his left ear  then look at the results in his right good ear? something seems fishy  but they could have mixed up the number in the wrong ears?

it should be the other way around  in my opinion  but I don't understand how to read this  so my opinion is not set in stone.

Note: click twice on the graph to enlarge it.

Edited by Buck52