VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Agent Orange - What does VA consider Proper protocol

Rate this question

VN-Vet

Question

Hey Guys,

Several Questions on Agent Orange.

1. Does getting registered on the Agent Orange Registry hurt, help, or otherwise affect any future disability claim?  

2. Do I need to file/open a claim in order to be on the Agent Orange Registry?

3. Do I need, or is it good, to take the physical the 'Agent Orange Registry Health Exam' ?

4. What should I expect?

5. Would applying for the 'Agent Orange Registry and Subsequent Health Exam' , jeopardize any 'Intent to File' submitted?

6. any other suggestions?

I recommend you go to VA docs first.  Why?  Well, because they shouldnt cost you anything, and free is better than something you have to pay for.  

Also, VA does not accept a private care docs PTSD diagnoisis.  VA makes it clear..it does not have to be fair, you just have to play by VA's own rules.  Thus, VA requires a PTSD diagnosis be made by a VA doc.

Then if your VA doc does not supply the requisite nexus is a good time to see a private physician for an IMO/IME.  This is the order most Vets do it.  

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with Bronco  seeing the VA Doc first, if you file for PTSD you need the diagnose to come from the VA..THEY WON'T ACCEPT A PRIVATE PTSD Diagnose.

if your not signed up at the VMC (Veterans Medical Center) VAMC (Veterans Administration Medical Center) then go to your local VMC, take your DD -214 AND pic ID (Drivers License)  SS Card or and Military ID  usually its the same as your SS# & Birth Certificate 

Your RVN Military Service and MOS should be documented on your DD -214  not sure if your unit and location will be on it?  if you travel in-county and had in-country travel orders.

Mine was not on my DD-214.  for some odd reason I got home with my in -country travel orders,From  my RVN Military service and MOS was on the DD- 214  but not my Duty MOS or my Unit.

I was with HHC Saigon Support Command (TMP) Operations Branch. traveled in-country Driving a Holmes 850 Wrecker they were 3 of us that drove/only 3 special Holmes wreckers ...loud stack pipes without mufflers  10 speed tranny with 2 speed transfer case changer, We  retrieved all Military disabled vehicles,  they were fun to drive  until we had to go out side the perimeter. if you were in Saigon and Long Bein around  1968-1970/71 -72 you might remember them?

Not sure my unit was still there during the Fall of Saigon 1975? ...I had left in 1971

but back to the signing up at the VMC

There they will sign you up and make you a VAMC ID Card....you can ask to been see by a Dr for the A.O. Exam to be placed in the A.O. Registry   once you get assign to a VA PCP  HE/She will examine you and you can let them know what all is wrong and that you have some A.O. Conditions you need seen about and that you will be filing claims for these conditions  and ask if the Dr will help you or fill out an A.O. DBQ (Disabilities Questionnaire) If they place you in the A.O Registry   and you have some presumption A.O. Disease.   ask the Dr for a A.O. CURRENT LIST OF DISEASES AND ILLNESS/INJURIES.

You need to do this ASAP  I THINK THE TIME LIMIT FOR US Vietnam Vets is running out.

Edited by Buck52

I have no info at all on any time limit for claims from Vietnam vets-

Do you Buck?   Maybe you mean the presumptive list.???

Secretary Shulkin is considering additional presumptives that he may or may not add to the standing list of 14 AO presumptives. If he adds any, then more AO vets will file claims. No time limit there.

If anyone here has a disability that he is considering and they servied incountry-Vietnam, I suggest they write to Secretary Shulkin and make a strong case for why their disability should be on the presumptive list.

I made the best argument I could for Stroke, particularly if it is ischemic in nature, particularly if the veteran has already established AO IHD. ...but I also pushed for ischemic stroke if the vet does not had AO IHD.He is also considering bladder cancer, HBP, hypopthyroidism, and Parkinsonian-like  tremors ( although Parkinsons is already a presumptive).

I do agree that Time is running out this way  because as I stated to the Secretary, Vietnam vets are dying, and even their elderly spouses are, (regarding potential DIC costs) so the "cost factor" of more AO presumptives will  probably not be as high as the last Nehmer court Order was. It definitely wont be if they add Stroke to the list.

Maybe if enough vets make their case on any of the potential presumptives, directly to the Secretary, he will start making some decisions....and then maybe we will have a new Nehmer....which might  hold the extraordinary conditions of Footnote One Nehmer 2010- meaning lots more retro, to any vet who already was denied or deemed NSC in the past for any potential new AO presumptive.

Secretary David Shulkin                                                                                     

Veterans Administratiom

810 Vermont Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20420

Copy to President Donald J.Trump

The White House

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW

Washington, DC 20500

• HadIt.com Elder

No I don't Ms berta I meant were running out of time with our age.

if we keep living  vietnam vets should be able to file claims.

I was just pulling at straws  because there's not that many of us Vietnam Vets left...since president Nixon(at the time) order the Phase down II with draw of all the troops from the RVN in 1972...they started getting most of the toops out  so by 1975  the last of the American troops were gone..So this would put an average age of the last veterans who served in the RVN Boots on the ground in the late 60's early  70's at around 63 to 70 years of age..so most who served in the RVN is not spring chickens anymore.

but I do think if they can find a way to stop veterans who served in the RVN back in the mid 70's  congress will certainly find a way to stop all claims from them who served in the RVN Conflict.

Now I am not saying it's the age of a Vietnam Veteran  it's just that time is at an essence for conditions to arise or if the Veteran has been putting off filing his claim for whatever reason   some don't want to face the reality of being diagnosed with a mental illness and just hide it 'per-say...

I believe they have proposed it several times  and could get it to stick someday in the near future.

so I tell all Vietnam Vets who think they have a disease caused by the A.O. OR was injured while serving over there to gather up medical evidence and file that claim ASAP.

I agree Buck, you are right , File the claim.

We never know when our  own expiration date will arrive.

The B's pretty much covered about everything you need to know regarding  AO Claims based on the Current/Future Presumptives.   Keep in mind, even if your DX'd Disability doesn't make it to the AO Presumptive List, you can still file an AO Associated Direct SC Condition for a DX.   Much more difficult, but it has been done.          Review BVA/CAVC Decisions regarding AO Direct SC for "Chronic Neuropathy," which for years only Acute PN was an AO Presumptive.         Before Chronic PN finally made it to the AO Presumptive list (2013?), some Vets got the Award on a Direct Basis or on Appeal.