VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD Does Not Cause Migraines

Rate this question

Rakkasan

Question

So I received the notes today from my migraine C&P. Under the remarks at the end he says that my migraines are less likely as not due to or the result of PTSD. His rational is: PTSD does not cause tension headache or migraine headache. Also states that "He is not on any medication for headache." I am prescribed Sumatriptan by the VA!

I know several people who have migraines secondary to PTSD but the real kicker is that I am not claiming migraines to PTSD. I am claiming secondary to anxiety. I even had a nexus written by my neurologist stating that my migraines are connected to my anxiety. I am not for sure the C&P examiner had access to my nexus that I submitted. Am I screwed?

Edited by Rakkasan

35 minutes ago, Berta said:

Here is another BVA award- Migraines, secondary to PTSD.

https://www.va.gov/vetapp14/files4/1426734.txt

In this case the veteran had been a registered nutse and was qualified to opine on some of  their conditions.

GEEZ, I read this too fast-I am always pressed for time these days- sorry---

"I know several people who have migraines secondary to PTSD but the real kicker is that I am not claiming migraines to PTSD. I am claiming secondary to anxiety. I even had a nexus written by my neurologist stating that my migraines are connected to my anxiety. I am not for sure the C&P examiner had access to my nexus that I submitted. Am I screwed?"

Are you service connected for PTSD or specifically for anxiety?

It really should not matter as PTSD is an anxiety disorder.

It sounds like you have a good basis to appeal right away if they deny-maybe even have a potential CUE that would go faster, than NOD, maybe, based on the C & P- if they deny and they  fail to consider the IMO you have.

Yes I am already s/c for anxiety.

I would recommend you get a letter from your manager and coworkers about the effects of migraine on your job.  These really helped me.

@Rakkasan  First, as Broncovet states: You are not screwed.  You are just in the fight, that's all - do not give up!!

My first question: Are you S/C for PTSD?  If so, what %?  Second, it might help some of the elders if they knew all disabilities you currently receive from the VA?

Now  -----  the C&P exam.  Its obvious that the person performing this C&P Exam for you DID NOT review your medical file.  I have a TN Education and I can figure this out.  I say this with almost 100% conviction. Why?  Because he did not see your current medication for migraines. Having said that, here is where homeboy made his second tactical error, which is to your advantage!!!

With regard to his statement below:

On 5/10/2018 at 5:39 PM, Rakkasan said:

His rational is: PTSD does not cause tension headache or migraine headache.

Well, here is a few scholarly articles I found as I scoured the web for your review: 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3974501/

https://americanheadachesociety.org/news/post-traumatic-stress-disorder-ptsd-migraine/

https://migraine.com/migraine-and-mental-health/post-traumatic-stress-disorder/

Amazingly - all these scholarly sites indicated how migraines are connected to PTSD!!! REMEMBER -- These are OPINIONS backed by research!!!!  HIS OPINION IS BACKED BY WHAT???  His lack of reviewing your file???  MINUS ONE FOR HIM....

So, now we have a tactical error from the examiner, scholarly evidence in support of your condition, and you are now receiving guidance on how to present your counterattack through this site!!

I am currently not prescribed medication for migraines, nor have I ever been.  I just told the Neurologist that I take Motrin and deal with it by resting in a dark, quiet room until I can function, which is the truth.  However, I received a TBI C&P from a neurologist - just as you did - and moved from a 30% to a 50% increase from Post Concussion Headaches viz., migraines, which is the highest one can receive for migraines.  Actually, many lawyers view this rating/condition as a TDIU award.

Where am I going with all this????  First, the others that provided you with steps to take are WAY more knowledgeable than me.  Instead, I wanted to offer you some insight I learned from a series and history of many C&Ps.  Always be nice and thank the examiner, regardless of how they treat you.....to a point.  Do your research on past cases through the BVA.  And lastly - this one is super important!!!  You have to learn how to tread water with your hands tied behind your back until it is time to freestyle swim.  

My Point??? There is nothing we can do during the waiting of the results from the C&P until it is available on Ebenfits. SO VERY MANY ELDERS ON HERE tried to pound this into my head.  They were RIGHT - I WAS WRONG!!   Only then after the examiner has posted his or her comments can we react, accordingly or in objection. This is more of a philosophy during this mind-bending affair waiting/reacting to this roller-coaster with the VA.  I almost lost my mind during mine...even my wife told me: "You need to go down to the VA and get your head looked at."  I drove her crazy as I waited in between many C&P exams...patience, which I lacked, got the best of me during that time.  And after it was all over and the VA had basically looked at me with a microscope - I was awarded 100% P&T.  I was floored and felt like I had worried about things that I had no business worrying about..

In the end - what is meant to be will happen, plain and simple!!!  But one thing is as solid as life and death: You have HADIT.COM to ALWAYS HELP YOU!!!  There are some incredibly brilliant people on here that will bend over backwards for Vets!!!  Some of them should be lawyers - that's how competent they are!

My best to you...let us know if there's anything we can do to leverage your situation!!

RLTW!!

Grumpbox out...

1 hour ago, Grumpbox said:

@Rakkasan  First, as Broncovet states: You are not screwed.  You are just in the fight, that's all - do not give up!!

My first question: Are you S/C for PTSD?  If so, what %?  Second, it might help some of the elders if they knew all disabilities you currently receive from the VA?

Now  -----  the C&P exam.  Its obvious that the person performing this C&P Exam for you DID NOT review your medical file.  I have a TN Education and I can figure this out.  I say this with almost 100% conviction. Why?  Because he did not see your current medication for migraines. Having said that, here is where homeboy made his second tactical error, which is to your advantage!!!

With regard to his statement below:

Well, here is a few scholarly articles I found as I scoured the web for your review: 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3974501/

https://americanheadachesociety.org/news/post-traumatic-stress-disorder-ptsd-migraine/

https://migraine.com/migraine-and-mental-health/post-traumatic-stress-disorder/

Amazingly - all these scholarly sites indicated how migraines are connected to PTSD!!! REMEMBER -- These are OPINIONS backed by research!!!!  HIS OPINION IS BACKED BY WHAT???  His lack of reviewing your file???  MINUS ONE FOR HIM....

So, now we have a tactical error from the examiner, scholarly evidence in support of your condition, and you are now receiving guidance on how to present your counterattack through this site!!

I am currently not prescribed medication for migraines, nor have I ever been.  I just told the Neurologist that I take Motrin and deal with it by resting in a dark, quiet room until I can function, which is the truth.  However, I received a TBI C&P from a neurologist - just as you did - and moved from a 30% to a 50% increase from Post Concussion Headaches viz., migraines, which is the highest one can receive for migraines.  Actually, many lawyers view this rating/condition as a TDIU award.

Where am I going with all this????  First, the others that provided you with steps to take are WAY more knowledgeable than me.  Instead, I wanted to offer you some insight I learned from a series and history of many C&Ps.  Always be nice and thank the examiner, regardless of how they treat you.....to a point.  Do your research on past cases through the BVA.  And lastly - this one is super important!!!  You have to learn how to tread water with your hands tied behind your back until it is time to freestyle swim.  

My Point??? There is nothing we can do during the waiting of the results from the C&P until it is available on Ebenfits. SO VERY MANY ELDERS ON HERE tried to pound this into my head.  They were RIGHT - I WAS WRONG!!   Only then after the examiner has posted his or her comments can we react, accordingly or in objection. This is more of a philosophy during this mind-bending affair waiting/reacting to this roller-coaster with the VA.  I almost lost my mind during mine...even my wife told me: "You need to go down to the VA and get your head looked at."  I drove her crazy as I waited in between many C&P exams...patience, which I lacked, got the best of me during that time.  And after it was all over and the VA had basically looked at me with a microscope - I was awarded 100% P&T.  I was floored and felt like I had worried about things that I had no business worrying about..

In the end - what is meant to be will happen, plain and simple!!!  But one thing is as solid as life and death: You have HADIT.COM to ALWAYS HELP YOU!!!  There are some incredibly brilliant people on here that will bend over backwards for Vets!!!  Some of them should be lawyers - that's how competent they are!

My best to you...let us know if there's anything we can do to leverage your situation!!

RLTW!!

Grumpbox out...

I am 70% PTSD and 60% GERD. The thing with your research that you provided is that my neurologist put sources in his Nexus that link migraines and PTSD. My claim was sitting at Preparation for Decision until the a couple days after this report and is now back to gathering of evidence. I am hoping that someone noticed how terrible that report looked and has decided on ordering another one or at least get clarification on these issues.

1 hour ago, Rakkasan said:

I am 70% PTSD and 60% GERD. The thing with your research that you provided is that my neurologist put sources in his Nexus that link migraines and PTSD. My claim was sitting at Preparation for Decision until the a couple days after this report and is now back to gathering of evidence. I am hoping that someone noticed how terrible that report looked and has decided on ordering another one or at least get clarification on these issues.

Did you see the Neurologist before or after the C&P?  I will assume after.

If your claim was at the, "Preparation for Decision" phase and then went back to, "Gathering of Evidence" this is a GOOD thing!  I see this from personal experience...here is why. Although, this is just my opinion.

Your VA Reviewer that is ultimately handling your case, might have noticed a hiccup in the process.  For example, this reviewer might have seen the notes from the Neurologist and put two and two together.  Meaning, its not ready for a decision. Why, because maybe there is another C&P required.  This is what happened to me.

I was up for my five year PTSD Review. At the time I was 100%.  When I completed my C&P for my initial PTSD, I noticed the doctor never checked my records...HOW DO I KNOW? Because he didn't check TBI nor did he checked other mental issues/illnesses.  Here's a prime example of how waiting to see what happens plays to your favor.  A few weeks pass and I get a call for a TBI C&P and it was with a Neurologist.  She did her tests and asked me specific questions, as to the DBQ for TBI.  As a result, she recommended an increase in my Post Concussion Headaches award and acknowledged my TBI....FINALLY - after many years coupled with loss of money!

This prompted me to yet again, another C&P - this time for another PTSD C&P.  When I arrived to this one, the lady doctor apologized for all that had occurred and how the previous doctor failed to not only review my records, but how he failed to list other mental/illnesses (TBI).  I could hardly believe that right in front of me, here is a doctor from the VA apologizing about another doctor's inadequacies.  In the end, VA found me 100% P&T.  

Most noteworthy....I never inquired, called, raised hell, or filed any kind of complaint or additional claims. I was calm, always thanked everyone, tried to answer my questions to the best of knowledge (which is a negative factor for me.)  In the end, I just let it ride.

I am glad I did for two reasons: 1) if I had tried to fight the system while it pursued, I might have knocked my fate off course; and, 2) even if I had tried to argue or file another claim during the whole process, I wouldn't be able to see the final reason from the VA ---  "WHY" they denied me various disabilities. (NOTE/DISCLAIMER: THIS DOES NOT ALWAYS APPLY FOR EVERY VETERAN'S SITUATION.)  What I mean is this.  Once they finish with your claim, they will send you documentation describing the WHY.  This WHY  is your NEW TACTIC to take in order to debunk the VA's reason for denying your claim(s).  It gives you the next direction to take - that's all I am trying to say; however, without this form of intel, you have zero information in order to develop your next future move.  Like chess - I suppose...

I'd be curious to see what happens next after the, "Gathering of Evidence."  Please keep us updated so we can guide you, accordingly. 

GB

Actually my neurologist saw me and wrote my Nexus BEFORE my C&P exam. This is what is so frustrating that he should have r as my file but he clearly has not.