• Searches Community Forums, Blog and more

Okemos_Veteran74

Trying To Understand The Requirements For SMC S

Question

I admit it.  I am lost. I don't understand a lot a lot of the posts or responses concerning the concerning SMC S orhow to qualify for it.  

In my case all of my injuries occured from one service connected injury.  So would that mean that I would never qualify for SMC S because my additional disabilities are related to my tbi accident/injury?  I Have heard Buck52 write something about that onlybeinv one of three ways of qualifying for SMC-S.

Maybe someone could write a bookentitled "VA Benefits, For Dummies", if someone hasn`t already.

4 answers to this question

16 hours ago, Okemos_Veteran74 said:

I admit it.  I am lost. I don't understand a lot a lot of the posts or responses concerning the concerning SMC S orhow to qualify for it.  

In my case all of my injuries occured from one service connected injury.  So would that mean that I would never qualify for SMC S because my additional disabilities are related to my tbi accident/injury?  I Have heard Buck52 write something about that onlybeinv one of three ways of qualifying for SMC-S.

Maybe someone could write a bookentitled "VA Benefits, For Dummies", if someone hasn`t already.

OK PVA of America made a great book its dated 2004 but it still applies for the most part so I am going try to upload it PDF for you SMC Guide.pdfSMC Guide.pdf

Ad

Thank you very much.

Post a redacted copy of your E-Ben SC disabilities page showing what each SC is and it's Rating Percentage. Is there (1) SC at 100% or Multiple SCs that have a Combined Service Connection "CSC," that get's to 95% rounded up to 100%?

Take a look at the VA non-Scheduler Housebound Medical questionnaire that is required to be completed by your treating Dr., when filing an HB claim other than Scheduler. How would your Dr answer the Housebound questions? 

Posted (edited)

Okemos_Veteran 7  

sorry for the confusion, SMC is hard to understand and can be very confusing to say the least.

SMC S H.B. is in the Normal range for most veterans , unless your s.c. condition  leaves you helpless and you need someone to help you with your ever day needs  then they have higher criteria to reach different levels of the severity of the s.c. conditions.

Here is the criteria for the SMC S H.B.  in two ways to reach it.

Housebound Benefits (Category S)

Special Monthly Compensation under Category S is given if the veteran has at least one condition rated 100% and one or both of the following:

– The veteran is completely and permanently housebound becuase of his service-connected conditions, meaning that the veteran cannot leave his area of abode (this can include his own home, a hospital ward, or a care facility) at all, and this is expected to be the case for the rest of his life.

but with this said they have some va revisions that can help a veteran get to smc s h.b.  ....and LOU of body parts/

&to include ridisusuals of the TBI. .... I can't remember these revisions exactly just off the top of my head  but there here on hadit. 

-OR-

– The veteran has another condition rated 60% that is unrelated to the 100% condition (They affect different body system, or are a different type of disability, etc. For example, they can’t both affect the arm.)

This Special Monthly Compensation is given INSTEAD of Special Monthly Compensation under Categories L through O.

Edited by Buck52

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Our picks

• Sleep apnea- does the DBQ cover the "medically necessary/required" language?
      Hey everybody! Long time lurker, first time poster.

My question is regarding the sleep apnea language that specifies that a prescription of a breathing assistance device is "medically necessary" for a 50% rating:

Assuming that a vet is already prescribed a CPAP/APAP by the VA, does the sleep apnea DBQ portion under 2B "IS CONTINUOUS MEDICATION REQUIRED FOR CONTROL OF A SLEEP DISORDER CONDITION?" fulfill that language requirement?
      • 15 replies
    • VBA testimony and GAO report-C & P examiners
      As you all know, C & P exam results control almost all types of claims. VA employees have no choice but to go along with a negative C & P exam that will deny a claim. Some vets are quite willing to rebutt faulty exams and ask for a new C & P exam. For others, it will take a costly IMO/IME in most cases. Ben Krause has this article at his site today: http://tinyurl.com/y9co6zac
      • 9 replies
    • Lumbosacral Strain and Vertebrae fractures caused by osteopenia
      Hi.  I have a couple questions and welcome all recommendations for my disability claim.  I am currently 10% disabled for lumbosacral strain and deferred decision for this and vertebrae fractures caused by osteopenia.  I had a MRI February 2018 and results include moderate compression fracture of L1, mild to moderate compression fracture of L2, moderate to severe compression fracture of L3, mild compression fracture of T11.  Additionally, L3 moderate spinal canal stenosis, L2 mild to moderate retropulsion with mild spinal canal stenosis, multilevel degenerative changes, multilevel disc bulges, disc herniations, L1-L2 mild broad-based disc bulge with mild spinal canal stenosis, L2-L3 mild broad based disc bulge with mild to moderate spinal canal stenosis,  L3-L4 mild to moderate broad based disc bulge and severe bilateral neuroforaminal narrowing.   I have read that these malfunctions should have been claimed individually.  Will the VA evaluate/rate each condition separately?  If not, I may have to appeal or submit a new claim.  What are some thoughts and suggestions.  Do these disabilities belong in the lumbosacral strain or the vertebrae fractures caused by osteopenia.  I am totally in the dark on this stuff.  I am pretty sure no diagnosis codes have been assigned.  What can I do to support my claim?  HELP!!!!!
      • 1 reply
    • Ignore Members Who Annoy You - How To
      How To Ignore Members Who Annoy You

I'd love it if we all got along, no one had a bad day and everyone respected each other however, living in the real world it just doesn't work that way.

If you find a member adds no value to your knowledge on a topic hover over their name and then choose Ignore User. You cannot ignore moderators and admins but you can ignore others.

Thousands of veterans have come here for over 20 years to find answers and support. I wish we could help each and every veteran, but some we cannot. Sometimes folks just rub each other the wrong way and that is where the Ignore User feature comes in. Ignore the user and move on...
      • 0 replies

I'd love it if we all got along, no one had a bad day and everyone respected each other however, living in the real world it just doesn't work that way.

If you find a member adds no value to your knowledge on a topic hover over their name and then choose Ignore User. You cannot ignore moderators and admins but you can ignore others.

Thousands of veterans have come here for over 20 years to find answers and support. I wish we could help each and every veteran, but some we cannot. Sometimes folks just rub each other the wrong way and that is where the Ignore User feature comes in. Ignore the user and move on...
      • 0 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News
  • Our picks

• Sleep apnea- does the DBQ cover the "medically necessary/required" language?
      Hey everybody! Long time lurker, first time poster.

My question is regarding the sleep apnea language that specifies that a prescription of a breathing assistance device is "medically necessary" for a 50% rating:

Assuming that a vet is already prescribed a CPAP/APAP by the VA, does the sleep apnea DBQ portion under 2B "IS CONTINUOUS MEDICATION REQUIRED FOR CONTROL OF A SLEEP DISORDER CONDITION?" fulfill that language requirement?
      • 15 replies
    • VBA testimony and GAO report-C & P examiners
      As you all know, C & P exam results control almost all types of claims. VA employees have no choice but to go along with a negative C & P exam that will deny a claim. Some vets are quite willing to rebutt faulty exams and ask for a new C & P exam. For others, it will take a costly IMO/IME in most cases. Ben Krause has this article at his site today: http://tinyurl.com/y9co6zac
      • 9 replies
    • Lumbosacral Strain and Vertebrae fractures caused by osteopenia
      Hi.  I have a couple questions and welcome all recommendations for my disability claim.  I am currently 10% disabled for lumbosacral strain and deferred decision for this and vertebrae fractures caused by osteopenia.  I had a MRI February 2018 and results include moderate compression fracture of L1, mild to moderate compression fracture of L2, moderate to severe compression fracture of L3, mild compression fracture of T11.  Additionally, L3 moderate spinal canal stenosis, L2 mild to moderate retropulsion with mild spinal canal stenosis, multilevel degenerative changes, multilevel disc bulges, disc herniations, L1-L2 mild broad-based disc bulge with mild spinal canal stenosis, L2-L3 mild broad based disc bulge with mild to moderate spinal canal stenosis,  L3-L4 mild to moderate broad based disc bulge and severe bilateral neuroforaminal narrowing.   I have read that these malfunctions should have been claimed individually.  Will the VA evaluate/rate each condition separately?  If not, I may have to appeal or submit a new claim.  What are some thoughts and suggestions.  Do these disabilities belong in the lumbosacral strain or the vertebrae fractures caused by osteopenia.  I am totally in the dark on this stuff.  I am pretty sure no diagnosis codes have been assigned.  What can I do to support my claim?  HELP!!!!!
      • 1 reply

• 0 replies

• 0 replies
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines