Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Trying To Understand The Requirements For SMC S

Rate this question

Okemos_Veteran74

Question

I admit it.  I am lost. I don't understand a lot a lot of the posts or responses concerning the concerning SMC S orhow to qualify for it.  

In my case all of my injuries occured from one service connected injury.  So would that mean that I would never qualify for SMC S because my additional disabilities are related to my tbi accident/injury?  I Have heard Buck52 write something about that onlybeinv one of three ways of qualifying for SMC-S.

Maybe someone could write a bookentitled "VA Benefits, For Dummies", if someone hasn`t already.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

16 hours ago, Okemos_Veteran74 said:

I admit it.  I am lost. I don't understand a lot a lot of the posts or responses concerning the concerning SMC S orhow to qualify for it.  

In my case all of my injuries occured from one service connected injury.  So would that mean that I would never qualify for SMC S because my additional disabilities are related to my tbi accident/injury?  I Have heard Buck52 write something about that onlybeinv one of three ways of qualifying for SMC-S.

Maybe someone could write a bookentitled "VA Benefits, For Dummies", if someone hasn`t already.

OK PVA of America made a great book its dated 2004 but it still applies for the most part so I am going try to upload it PDF for you SMC Guide.pdfSMC Guide.pdf

Post a redacted copy of your E-Ben SC disabilities page showing what each SC is and it's Rating Percentage. Is there (1) SC at 100% or Multiple SCs that have a Combined Service Connection "CSC," that get's to 95% rounded up to 100%?

Take a look at the VA non-Scheduler Housebound Medical questionnaire that is required to be completed by your treating Dr., when filing an HB claim other than Scheduler. How would your Dr answer the Housebound questions? 

• HadIt.com Elder

Okemos_Veteran 7  

sorry for the confusion, SMC is hard to understand and can be very confusing to say the least.

SMC S H.B. is in the Normal range for most veterans , unless your s.c. condition  leaves you helpless and you need someone to help you with your ever day needs  then they have higher criteria to reach different levels of the severity of the s.c. conditions.

Here is the criteria for the SMC S H.B.  in two ways to reach it.

Housebound Benefits (Category S)

Special Monthly Compensation under Category S is given if the veteran has at least one condition rated 100% and one or both of the following:

– The veteran is completely and permanently housebound becuase of his service-connected conditions, meaning that the veteran cannot leave his area of abode (this can include his own home, a hospital ward, or a care facility) at all, and this is expected to be the case for the rest of his life.

but with this said they have some va revisions that can help a veteran get to smc s h.b.  ....and LOU of body parts/

&to include ridisusuals of the TBI. .... I can't remember these revisions exactly just off the top of my head  but there here on hadit. 

-OR-

– The veteran has another condition rated 60% that is unrelated to the 100% condition (They affect different body system, or are a different type of disability, etc. For example, they can’t both affect the arm.)

This Special Monthly Compensation is given INSTEAD of Special Monthly Compensation under Categories L through O.

Edited by Buck52