Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Total Knee Replacement on June 6

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

Im getting my right knee replaced at the VAMC on June 6.  Its a Zimmer NexGen, installed by the VA ortho surgeon.  

I have been told that I will be using a walker for up to 3 months after the surgery.  The arthritis in my knee is, even tho I fractured my leg in service, NSC, because VA never bothered to adjuticate it.  There was just a note ("rating sheet") that says its NSC.  While I dont like to use resources needed by other Vets, I am considering re applying, then fighting them for the effective date.  Im currently 100 percent plus 20 percent plus 10 percent.  So, if the knee replacement is 50 percent, that should be enough for SMC S.  

Im posting this in case others are considering TKR, and will let you know the results.  

I wish you well, but myself I would not trust the VA to do any surgery .. .I did once and now I only have one eye......

I am not a lawyer so take my opinions with a grain of salt...

If I had listened to the nay sayers, I would never have acheived any ratings after I was awarded TDIU in 1999. Now I have not one but two 100% ratings, a TDIU  and 4 SMC awards !  I say JUST GO For It

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” -Albert Einstein.

Gastone..incredibly I have both TDIU and a single 100 percent (but at different time periods).  Yes, I read about the Zimmer recall, and it is on my mind.  (I wouldnt put it past VA to install a knee they know to be defective).  Most of this boils down to trust.  Altho, I can not say I trust all, or even most VA employees, I can say that I do trust my God, and he has my back on this.  

Hollie...Thank YOU

Richard...VA is definately NOT my first choice.  However, VA "wont" refer me to an outside clinic, not when VA has their own orth clinic and time to do this.  A knee replacement is about 18 grand, and, there is also no guarantee a private surgery would go without a hitch, either.  

I have met with the surgeon twice, and he has 19 years experience putting in new knees.  And, he had a good reputation with my rhumetologist, who I trust.  

If the VA messes it up, then I will have an 1151 claim, and I once heard Berta say (Please correct me if I have this wrong, Berta)  that they had to pay double if circumstances permit:

That is, if Im already 100 percent and VA messes up the knee, and I get rated for 100 percent again (1151)  because of knees, then I "understood" Berta that VA has to pay both.  This should guarantee SMC S.    This is moot, however, as I was prayed for in church today, so I know it will go well.  

Edited by broncovet

Bronc, any idea of how long the VA has been using the Z NexGen? The whole LowBid deal gives a #10 Pucker Factor.

A few yrs ago, I already had the VMC Heart Echo Evidence I needed for both the SA Secondary PH 0% SC and subsequent SA Increase to 100% Claim. However, my VMC Cardio Dr unaware of any Comp Associated Filings, suggested the Heart Cath which is not only invasive but is also considered to be the "Gold Standard" when it comes to Cardio Tests. A couple months later, I met with the VMC Staff Cath Drs, young knowledgeable and seemed very competent. After careful consideration, I postponed my NON-Emergency Right-heart Cath. Immediately contacted my Medicare United Health supplemental Carrier and Started the "Full Boat" $145.00 per mos plan.

Following week, contacted my non-VA Cardio Dr that was involved in my "06" bypass surgery, a few weeks later a Full Heart Cath was completed at a local Area Top State Hospital. He decided to do a Full Heart cath rather than just the Right Ventricle because it had been 10 yrs since the Surgery.    I like the VMC and the Drs, however, for life or Death or even any invasive surgery of any kind; I'm going to stick with the "Pro's from Dover." I know this is an exaggeration, but I want the Cutter with 4000 successful procedures under his belt, instead of the young Knife with 800. No matter the Dr's age, they're all still "Practicing Medicine;" but I want the Doc with the most practice and best Batting Average.

• HadIt.com Elder

If I needed TKR I'd have to use the VA I don't think medicare would pay for it? although I never checked it out, but if were faced with who is going to pay the Bill and VA will do it and have a fairly good chance everything will come out right...then there's the answer.

I'd just have to trust the VA Dr's and hope  and pray for the best.

Being VA is the largest Health Care Facility in the nation  That's fairly good odds that this type of health care is probably at least 95% favorable. especially with experienced surgeons. 

As broncovet mention there's no guarantee everything will go right in the private sector too.

Broncovet, if you go through with this on the 6 th I wish you the best with it my friend , just do as they say

After the surgery &  all is ok  you may want to try to walk as soon after the surgery as you can  or what the surgeon recommends .

if you can muster just a few feet a day as you want to get your circulation going to prevent any forms of blood clots. they might put you on some type of blood clot meds? but circulation is important after this type surgery.  how soon will probably up to you and the pain?..but of course ask your Dr to be sure and get his ok.

Just from my experience with two people I knew that had this type surgery.

Again I wish you well my friend & prayers sent your way  and you have a speedy recovery and get back on here as soon as your able  and help these Vets that need your Help

God Bless

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

I wish you well and that the surgery is a success/Maybe it won't take 3 months  just depends on how fast you heal up ?? some folks heal pretty fast and some don't...I 

Had a good friend had both knees  replaced about 15 years  ago at age 58 years ago and he was  up and going in 6 weeks  and he said that was one of the best thing he ever did.....    things are more modern and better now  so your surgery should go great.

I wish you a speedy recovery .. Our Prayers sent your way.

Yes file that claim , maybe file before you have the surgery   the ITF Claim at least.

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!