Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Roll call to all o Labor Day weekend

Rate this question

jfrei

Question

I hope everyone has been doing alright wanted to say hi to all and hope everyone had a safe hot summer...

Edited by jfrei

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

• HadIt.com Elder

Thank you L I tend to agree with you!

I am going to try my best with it

Thanks & Thank you jfrei.

@Buck52  hi Buck,

i did at least 12-14 weeks.  For me they did not help I’m sorry to say.  I get the theory of telling your conscious mind statistically the “stressor” won’t happen to you again or that you can see on paper that your thoughts and fears are not rational but 14 weeks can not change 30 years of reflex reactions or behaviors that have been your daily way of surviving and coping.  For me I would be lying to my therapist... and on the worksheet if I started changing the percentages in the direction they would like and I was more frustrated that I wasn’t going in the direction they would like and I felt sick on the day of each session so I know what you are going through.  They did mention exposure therapy and that’s just not something I can do based on my personal situation.  

Right when I was going to quit my therapy I was rear ended in an auto accident and I had a TBI with many complication that I am still recovering from now 7 months later.  I messaged the VA that I could no longer attend my CBT sessions due to my injuries.   They went ahead and officially ended my therapy but then after eight weeks when I had recovered to a point  they reassigned me with a new therapist  to help me cope with my escalatng medical issues.   Although it wasn’t specifically for PTSD the therapist has much experience with PTSD as she references or connects frequently things that I experience or say to my PTSD trauma.   Personally this therapist is making more of a difference just in her counseling style and counsels me in a much  more customized way to who I am and my personal situation than a preset packet of questions and predicted outcome answers.   I really don’t know how it will affect me that I opted out of the CBT sessions in terms of my service connected rating.   I’m not sure anything any of this is helpful information for you but that’s my situation as of now. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Michigander

yes it helps, I too am in this same situation  not that I have other injuries like your auto accident, but mine or Mental  and I am not so sure its all about my strssor's that happen in military 40 something years ago ,  I am sure they don't help, but when I disagree with some of the VA Theory  like the CPT Therapy  I tell them what I think...my therapist says  thoughts and reality are way two different things...you can think about something that is or is not true  in reality thoughts are just that thoughts  a thought & something real are two different things.

I said what do you mean..she said  well thoughts are just thoughts  you can say I think he wants to kill me (ok he never touches me) but you think he wants to kill you but he don't  but you thought he did  and the reality part of it  you only thought he did''...I do not understand that at all.   although I can see the meaning or reality of her statement.

I want to forget my past that's what I want to do and this digging up bones from the past is making things worse for me, I re-live all these stressor's with more intense night mares and its wrecked my sleeping pattern and it seems to only make things worse for me. I've talked to other Veterans that went to this type therapy and they said it helped them  so I don't know what to do?

I can have fun with my 8 Year old granddaughter when she comes to visit, We take her places where she can have fun Amusement parks ect,,ect,,, and I enjoy the time I get to spend with her and after a log day and time for bed..I do have a good nights rest, maybe from just being exhausted from the day  or just give out and tired   I do sleep pretty good and don't have these night mares...but once my granddaughter leaves and goes back home  ..THESE FREAKING NIGHT MARES START BACK UP.

I do everything possibly that I can during the day  to help prevent these NM's Like I don't watch war movies on TV or think about my past or dwell on my past..but for some reason I am taunted with these NM's

Actually I look forward to when my grandaughter comes to visit, its the only time I feel safe and can get a good nights sleep....who would have ever thought...I've never mention this to my therapist.

I dread my therapy but I will keep on going until I see the light  hopefully someday I will.

I realize this CPT therapy is kinda like  Reverse Physiology  in a way to change the way we think about the past . I'm just not so sure it will help me but I am going to try to stick with it and hopefully it will remove some of the stuck points I am in.

Thank you for your time and your post I appreciate that.

Take Care

20 hours ago, Buck52 said:

Thank you L I tend to agree with you!

I am going to try my best with it

Thanks & Thank you jfrei.

Atta Boy @Buck52 - I abhore the VA but - I must say I have gotten excellent mental health care. Hang in there buddy! 

The Exposure therapy was almost like being hypnotized for me - MY perception-

not saying I was hypnotized, just that it was a relazxed calm state.....  and it was focusing on my night terrors.

I must say it was powerful and it did help.... jmo.... https://www.anxietybc.com/adults/exposure-therapy-ptsd

Edited by L
added link - google things ppl!