Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Benefits

Rate this question

Guest jangrin

Question

Guest jangrin

Met a veteran that served in vietnam. He recently had heart surgery, was diagnosed with DMII long time ago and now has had his Drivers Lic. taken away because of blindness from DMII.

This vet spent 18+/- years in army, then worked for civil service for many years, was in army reserves many years, I think finished up as a master sargent and he is currently retired with a combined retirement but draws social security.

He is bronze star for valour recipient. He has never filed a claim for disability except he got a settlement for hearing loss back in the 70's.

He is afraid to file the claim because he doesn't want to loose his SS, he lives pretty tight to the budget wire.

What can I tell him about the money part of compensation. If he files a claim how will that part work. Offset or what. I know nothing about civil service and combined retirements.

I need to convince him to go to a SO. He can't see well enough right now to come on Hadit.

Thanks,

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Jangrin-he won't lose his SSA retirement benefits but I dont know about civil service benefits- John 999 would know that-

Does he get a retirement from the military too?

That would affect his potential VA comp- what I mean is here:

http://www.military.com/benefits/military-...aring-crsc-crdp

This site, Military.com has the latest on this too---and a whole forum as I recall---(CRSC and CRDP)

"He has never filed a claim for disability except he got a settlement for hearing loss back in the 70's"

I guess you mean he got a lump sum disability retirement amount?

But he did not pursue the hearing loss in any claim with the VA?

He does need a good SO's help but I sure can understand that he would want to find out how any VA comp would affect or be affected by any of his military or civil service retirement.

This is info on the ten year phase out program regarding the offset-

http://www.dod.gov/prhome/mppcrsc.html

"The Department of Defense has two programs designed to reduce the reduction in retired pay due to receipt of Veteran Administration compensation, for certain disabled retirees.

Concurrent Retirement and Disability Payments (CRDP) provides a 10-year phase-out of the offset to military retired pay due to receipt of VA disability compensation for members whose combined disability rating is 50% or greater . Members retired under disability provisions must have 20 years of service.

Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC) pays added benefits to retirees who receive VA disability compensation for combat-related disabilities and have 20 years of service . "

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

jangrin

VA benefits don't affect federal retirement benefits. You can get the SSA, OPM And VA. The SSA has an offset on OPM, however, if you are under the FERS retirement plan.

Guest jangrin

John,

What is OPM?

I'm not sure how they retired him. I know he draws SS and I know he got out of actice duty with 17+ years because they gave him orders to go back to Vietnam and he got out of the service because he felt he would die there if he went back.

Then he went to work for Civil Service for many years and was in the army reserves. He said they combined his retirement? I am sure he had OVER 30 years combined. I don't think he retired that long ago and his birthday is in 1939.

I just know he needs to file a claim for DMII and secondarys> I don't think he will file for the PTSD, but from the sounds of things he would be granted. At this point he needs Aid and attendence or at least housebound. But first he needs to file a claim. He has been in the hospital 3 or 4 times over the last couple of years.

I am trying to see if I can get an SO to call and talk to him by phone.

Jangrin

• HadIt.com Elder

Depends if he is getting SSD or SSI. SSD is not affected bt VA or voce versa but SSI is.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Guest jangrin

He is getting SSI.oops regular SS (not ss disability).

All the physical stuff has gotton worse since he retired. But the DMII I think was diagnosed quite a few years ago. Then heart problems and all the rest.

Edited by jangrin

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• Troy Spurlock went up a rank
      Community Regular
    • KMac1181 earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • jERRYMCK earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • KMac1181 went up a rank
      Rookie
    • Lebro earned a badge
      First Post
  • Our picks

• I met with a VSO today at my VA Hospital who was very knowledgeable and very helpful.  We decided I should submit a few new claims which we did.  He told me that he didn't need copies of my military records that showed my sick call notations related to any of the claims.  He said that the VA now has entire military medical record on file and would find the record(s) in their own file.  It seemed odd to me as my service dates back to  1981 and spans 34 years through my retirement in 2015.  It sure seemed to make more sense for me to give him copies of my military medical record pages that document the injuries as I'd already had them with me.  He didn't want my copies.  Anyone have any information on this.  Much thanks in advance.  
      • 3 replies
    • Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   
    • Welcome to hadit!  

There are certain rules about community care reimbursement, and I have no idea if you met them or not.  Try reading this:

https://www.va.gov/resources/getting-emergency-care-at-non-va-facilities/

However, (and I have no idea of knowing whether or not you would likely succeed) Im unsure of why you seem to be so adamant against getting an increase in disability compensation.  

When I buy stuff, say at Kroger, or pay bills, I have never had anyone say, "Wait!  Is this money from disability compensation, or did you earn it working at a regular job?"  Not once.  Thus, if you did get an increase, likely you would have no trouble paying this with the increase compensation.  

However, there are many false rumors out there that suggest if you apply for an increase, the VA will reduce your benefits instead.  

That rumor is false but I do hear people tell Veterans that a lot.  There are strict rules VA has to reduce you and, NOT ONE of those rules have anything to do with applying for an increase.  

Yes, the VA can reduce your benefits, but generally only when your condition has "actually improved" under ordinary conditions of life.  

Unless you contacted the VA within 72 hours of your medical treatment, you may not be eligible for reimbursement, or at least that is how I read the link, I posted above. Here are SOME of the rules the VA must comply with in order to reduce your compensation benefits:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/3.344

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use