Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Never quit, never surrender.

Rate this question

vetquest

Question

Funny, the Marines taught me this.  Several years ago when I got TDIU my lawyer wanted to quit (as I would be taking time at the RO or BVA that another veteran needed) and I wanted to press on.  We pressed on and I was awarded 100% P&T at the RO with SMC S.  I still wanted to press the issue but my lawyer said we should quit, he had just gotten paid.  I ended my relationship with my lawyer and filed a NOD for EED of SMC S.  I also found out that my lawyer had written a letter to the VA stating I was done with my case and to not return it to BVA.  I cited to the VA that my lawyer no longer represented me and I wanted my case to go back to BVA.  I have had more luck at the BVA the five times I have gone there.

I just received the BBE from BVA today.  They gave me a 6 year EED on my PTSD and awarded tinnitus.  I cannot receive more compensation from the VA for this but my PTSD is now only 9 years from being locked in.  The RO is still working (if you can call it that) on my EED for SMC S, which I believe is stronger after my new BVA decision.

Lawyers can help a lot if you are caught in a situation where the VA is flouting the laws as they were doing in my case.  Even so, they may not always give the best council after getting paid.  VSO's more so should be questioned.  Some do a really wonderful job but others are just collecting their pay (many from the VA).  

Do not be bullied or scared into not appealing to the BVA or ending your case prematurely.   There are several reasons:

You might get reduced if you appeal : You are taking the time at the BVA that another veteran needs :  You have been awarded enough : You should feel lucky to have won : etc....   

Edited by vetquest

4 answers to this question

This is Wonderful News!!!!!!

And again I state that the BVA CAN READ!

It is unconscionable that we cannot always depend on our VAROs to do that.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

I agree.  There is NO ONE who knows more about your case than you.  The lawyer did not go to your hundreds of medical exams.  The lawyer experienced none of your pain.  

Further, even tho you are paying a lawyer to represent you, he still has a different agenda than you do.  He has other clients he can serve also, and he may feel some of them have 

Congratulations on the EED...you deserve it.

I agree that one should never give p and you must always keep appealing when the VA is wrong...as far as taking up space at the BVA of another veteran...you are also a veteran who has also earned the right to have your case to be looked at to get the proper decision and the correct EED.

As far as worrying you will get reduced if you rock the boat...I was taught in the military to never give up!!

I am also sure that 99% of the vets on this site would gladly give up all their VA benefits to not gone through and see the things they did in service of their county. I know I would gladly give it all up not to have the issues I now have! 

Sorry this is JMO

I am not an attorney or an a credited VA rep. These are my personal opinions and experiences, always remember what worked for me may not work for you.

You as the veteran are your own best advocate and no one knows your disabilities better than you. It is highly recommended that you as the veteran research and verify that any opinion given meets your specific situation.

• HadIt.com Elder

Good Post Vetquest! 

I'm glad you posted this!

Congratulation on your new EED win.

Way to go buddy!

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!