Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

2 & 1/2+ years still no decision

Rate this question

Anthonye

Question

In 2002 at fort knox a lt col ortho said you can't serve, you need surgeries and this is to much for the army to do, once you get out the va will take care of you he said.  A MEB 40 via walter reed, im out, go to the va in Lexington cause you gotta get the va approval for medical treatment, in 2002 a nurse practioner who examines my injuries reads my meb 40, notes from fort knox ortho looked at me and said I think you are lying, there is nothing wrong with you. I 26 years old at the time, shocked, I had never been accused of something so freaking outlandish, especially the only thing in my life I have great pride in, my service, my oath, my life the past 6 years, I was f*cking floored silent! it took weeks for it to soak in and then I flip my f*cking lid.  the next 11 years after that continued to show me the va was a joke and did not give a damn, Percocet, Lortab or both at the same time till I could personally afford to see a orotho privately, 3 surgeries later 2012-left knee replacement, 2014 2 phase surgeries to place 6 in my hips and back. for over 5 years through a hell I don't have much memory of, many many times a day I struggled to not walk down in the woods to end it all, or just drive away and abandon my wife and kids, I was sure their lives would have been so much better. just 1 symptom to give you a glimse of what I felt was for over 5 years it felt like hornets stinging in my testicals 24 hours a day 356 days a year all the time.

Service connected for, knees, back, hips, ED/low t/hypogonadism, left thigh muscle-tissue loss, and depression 

Currently ongoing-Filed a claim in 6/2016 following heart cath (diagnosed with Endothelial dysfunction, Cardiologist states caused by low t) my claim was closed 10/2016 because I couldn't attend c and p (stated I refused to schedule) in 10/2016 because I was on federal jury duty from 10/2016-1/2017.  8/2016 I went to 1 c and p for heart and 1 for audio but 10/2016 said I need to attend 2 more c and p's.  I submitted jury summons and letter from Us attorney's office VA still closed my claim, also took 20% away (for ED) to 0% cause c and p examiner said I refused to cooperate with full nude examination, BULLSH*T! After jury duty completed I had my private cardiologist, urologist and ENT all MDs holding state licenses and board certified in their respective fields,then asked VA to reopen as of 3/2017 due to new medical evidence and posed it as all claim info submitted review for decision. the va reopens the claim, what have they done since, 2 (contracted) c and p exams for psych despite VA psycharchist completed dbq, 1 c and p from contracted MD, 1 echo cardio, 1 hearing c and p with a contracted audiologist, 1 hearing c and p with va audiologist, 1 more c and p physical examination with va PA. the va clinic here at home admitted me to the hospital  may/2018 and the va regional medical center called on Friday while admitted saying they needed to schedule c and p, told them I was in the hospital double ivs and would call them back the next week after I was home and could talk (without being heavily medicated). also told the scheduler that I was in the hospital per local va clinic, call the next week, they sent the c and p request back to regional office stating veteran couldn't schedule, what does that mean, veteran refuses, GodDam**. who has the phone number to the lousiville regional office, NOONE, despite my calling begging, pleading, sent hospital records to prove I was admitted, told my psych, va md, claim rep, they closed the claim, HOLYFU**.  after a month regional finally shows some common sense and gets everything back open this time more c and ps, requested 4 times for VA cardiologist to answer some question, after 3 months wait no va cardiologist ever responded to their request.  va out of no where said I requested special housing allowance, no I didn't, that took a month to resolve, now when I think I might get closure they mailed me a application they say I have to complete for unemployability, I never freaking asked for unemployability. Perhaps I have my expectations to high, cause I thought a veteran that held top secret security clearance, served honorably, Ive never claimed anything that wasn't backed up an inlineof duty, or well documented medical records with expert medical opinions, and currently working for SSA Hearing Operations for over 5 years with a security clearance, would be treated as an honest veteran but HELLNO I am treated like a freakin liar, abusing the system, frauding they system and they keep sending me to more c and ps till they get the answer they want.   Really!?!? I just about can't keep it freakin together, the last 2 years have been sh*t, wife has a brain tumor, step son that lives with me well his dad dies, we decide to adopt 1 1/2 years ago before we knew my wife had a brian tumor, my new son's been through hell and to just be only 7 and he is forever my son, but he has some hurdles, don't we all, my middle son is trying to figure out where he fits in with all the things going on.  I requested 4 months ago that not more medical records and make a decision but no more c and ps.... I need closure, deny or grant whatever I need to move the freak on, everytime I try to put in the back of my mind and accept they will make a decision when they get to it I get another call for c and p or a letter saying to complete this application for something else, seriously! I can't freak take anymore! for those who crique my grammer, spelling, sentence structure whatever, im to damn tired to give a f*ck!

Edited by Anthonye

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

I'm certainly no expert, but all I can really tell you is, you need to keep fighting and see this through. 2 1/2 years is a long time yes, but the system is so broke, it took me almost 9 years. I'm NOT saying it will take that long, but every step, every phase of this process takes too long.

I did not see anywhere in your post where you have someone or some organization helping you. There are varying degrees of opinion here on who that should be, but the consensus here is, you should not be filing these claims on your own. You need the assistance of a VSO, whether that be a county or parrish VSO, the DAV, an attorney...someone to help you. Some of these organizations are free, some will have a type of a charge scale (I used my county and state VSO). I think you need to make this priority.

As for being treated like a liar, many if not most of the veterans on this site have at one time or another (I certainly have) been accused of lying. If they really thought you were lying, they'd open an investigation on you and you'd be charged, blah, blah, blah. They're just trying to discourage you. You know the evidence is there. More often than not, the veteran who puts his nose to the grindstone will win. DON'T GIVE UP. DON'T GIVE IN. Pay them back by fighting. If you give up, you're validating THEIR arguments. Don't do it. Stay in the fight for yourself. Stay in the fight for your family. Stay in the fight for every other veteran who let the VA win. When the VA screwed me over, I got mad and then I dug in. Other veterans have given up and now they have nothing to show for it. Even if they deny, don't give up. If they grant, they will try to low-ball you. Don't give up. When you hear nothing for weeks or months, don't give up. If you're tired, take a nap. But when you wake up, you still don't give up. When you think you can't take anymore, take one more. You can always take one more. It's the VA, not an incoming artillery round. It sucks. It sucks real bad I get it. But when you win, it will have been worth it the fight.

Sgt. Wilky

BOHICA

Welcome to hadit.  You are not alone.  I was jerked around for years by VA until I lost my home to foreclosure.  Having been through this similar stuff, my advice is:

1.  First, and you may not want to do this, but you should anyway, is to calm down and try to find a VA employee on your side.  If you are throwing rocks at people, its hard to ask them to be friends.  You may need to decide which is better...fulfilling your anger, or getting benefits for your family, even tho you have good reasons to be mad, you will still get better results without anger.  If you can learn to control and chanel your anger you will do better.  Alex Graham was denied by VA as they said he was never in Vietnam and did not have a gunshot wound from there, even tho all you had to do was look at his scar as it was obvious it was a GSW.  He didnt get mad, he got even, not only eventually winning a half million or so in retro, but he has won benefits for countless other Vets as he is now a "non attorney practioner", which is sort of like an independent VSO.  Sort of, but he is much better.  

2.  Get you a great representatitive, not just the one who is available.  Again that will take patience.  

3.  Send an IRIS email inquiring as to the status of your claim.  Refrain from telling them how bad the VA is, even tho its true.  Its probably not the fault of the person you are talking to.  

4.  Call/email the white house.  Ask your wife to help you clarify exactly "what you need" them to do, and why.  In other words, to write a letter for you, you sign it, without swear words and well written.  

EXAMPLE:   My name is Joe Veteran.  I applied for benefits on June 2016, and its yet to be resolved, in no small part because I was called to jury duty at the same time as a c and p exam.  I have proof of same.  My family and I are in serious needs, and I have suicidial ideations.  My family needs this red tape cleared up soon as I cant take it anymore.  I need my benefits now.   Please help.

Name, Phone number, contact information.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Great Advise from broncovet!!1

Anthonye quoted

''in 2002 a nurse practioner who examines my injuries reads my meb 40, notes from fort knox ortho looked at me and said I think you are lying, there is nothing wrong with you. I 26 years old at the time,''

VA Employers are not suppose to call us lying, if you have medical records to prove this NP wrong  thats what wins claim   medical evidence.  so gather up all your medical records and submit them in your claim...

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

It is my firm opinion that the hypogonadism - heart claim can succeed.

BUT- most of not all of us here have gotten to the point you are at- do NOT let those bastards get you down!!!!!!!

I dont see how TDIU is the issue if I understand this correctly:

, "and currently working for SSA Hearing Operations for over 5 years with a security clearance, would be treated as an honest veteran but HELLNO I am treated like a freakin liar, abusing the system"

If you are employed by SSA, the VA will not award TDIU. The VA could award 100% however. (same amount as TDIU)

But this is what I mean as to the heart condition.

Hypogonadism as low testosterone readings, does have a medical association with heart disease:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5512682/

You will need a strong independent medical opinion from a doctor with expertise in this field of disability to service connect the hypogonadism with your heart disease.

They will need to follow the IMO/IME criteria here at hadit, will need ALL of your medical records, and will need any C & P exam results for this condition-

unless your cardio doctor has made this statement documented into the record and it is  medically clear to the VA:

(diagnosed with Endothelial dysfunction, Cardiologist states caused by low t)  “

Has the VA opined yet at all on that statement?

Is this a VA cardio or a private cardio?

VA does not hunt for anything to support a claim in medical records, they need to be told everything like they are 10 years old-that is why a strong IMO/IME , might be costly, but it will give a full medical rationale of the opinion, unlike  some VA quack opinions ( which MANY here have overcame with strong IMO/IMES.

“gets everything back open this time more c and ps, requested 4 times for VA cardiologist to answer some question, after 3 months wait no va cardiologist ever responded to their request. “

Do you know who this VA cardiologist is?

Have you contacted him/her yourself to see why no response?

Have you googled his name to see what expertise he actually has?

If he has cardio expertise but no experience with hypogonadism, his opinion might be useless and too speculative and you have the chance to get a far better IMO from the cardio doc who knows of the nexus between these conditions.

They need to follow the IMO/IME  criteria here and will have not only the link above to bolster their medical rationale I gave above but will surely some recent other medical abstracts on the low testosterone-heart nexus.

"Service connected for, knees, back, hips, ED/low t/hypogonadism, left thigh muscle-tissue loss, and depression "

Did you ask for a higher rating on the depression as well as the SC low T - heart claim?

My longest claim took from 2003 to 2012- my RO cant read and the director does not know basic VA case law.

It was set finally for VA transfer but a miracle happened.(Nehmer) and awarded in a heartbeat by a different RO.

They want us to GIVE UP and I say piss on that!

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Welcome Anthoyne.  I was discharged from the Marines after almost eight years due to physical disability.  The VA doctor who examined me declared I was a hypochondriac.  My mental evaluation showed I was mentally ill, not service connected.  Your story sounds familiar to me.  If you quit now you are just letting the VA win.  I won by finding employment and fighting the VA in my spare time.  If you are a disabled veteran see if the DAV will take your case and request that you can speak to the National VSO.

As Sgt. Wilke pointed out 2 1/2 years in the VA system is not that long.  I am sorry but this is a hard fact in dealing with the VA.  After I was discharged I believed the VA was there to help me.  Very quickly I learned the opposite.  It was ten years before I was declared 50% disabled and twenty five years later after I lost my job due to my disability it was another ten years before I was declared 100%.

As far as taking a walk into the woods, I once put one bullet in a revolver and played Russian roulette.  That first click woke me up.  I was going to leave a family wondering what they did wrong. 

Do not quit, just make it your hobby.