VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Medicare and other insurance

Rate this question

Kingair

Question

Your age?   

This is kind of important.  If you are 65, then you have to decided permanently whether to opt in to part b or not.  

Part b is the part of medicare you have to pay for, its about 134 per month.  It includes doctor visits and doc bills.  

While I dont have tri care, it sound like you are familiar with it, and if its sufficient you probably dont need 3 kinds of insurance.   

Years ago I was an insurance agent and some people would buy 10 different insurance to cover the same thing.  You always knew you would make a sale tho I did not always do so, I told them they had enough.  

My spouse thinks the term "no insurance" is horrifying.  

She learned better.  She bought part b, and a prescription supplement (bad idea).  

So, Champ VA's has a co-pay with each perscription.  Some of these copays are 147 per month!

Well champva has their own med by mail, and its zero copay.   But you can not get it if you have any other (prescription) coverage.  

So, her prescription plan cost us more than 350 per month.  

we cancelled it, at my insistence, and she gets meds by mail.  We saved enough to buy a car by eliminating unnecessary insurance.  

I love how SSA calls me asks me if I want Part B I said no VA covers me for everything since I live. Ten minutes from their hospital and when it’s outsourced using choice it’s paid for so the Va said it’s not needed. Then elect me for B anyways I swear if I don’t check I wouldn’t have noticed. Is their a way to opt out now for B or is permanent I’m only 33?

I have Tricare and when I turn 65 I must change to Tricare for Life (only me since the rest of my family is under 65). I was told by Tricare that this is not an option for me. I have to sign up for Medicare part B (I am not positive on part A). Is what happens is Medicare becomes my primary and Tricare becomes my secondary.

Ok the facts-----

If you have tricare and go on social security at any age   the law requires you to sign up for Medicare part B otherwise you will lose tricare . That's the law. This applies to anyone with tricare,  spouses as well .

Part A Medicare is automatic, because you paid into it all those years prior to retirement Part A  only covers care inpatient care  , while part b covers  Outpatient only

Medicare becomes first payer Tricare second. If you are enrolled at a Military Hospital or  Clinic,  you will not pay co-pays. If you have both and get medical care off base normally you will not pay a copay with both., so it would be a waste to purchase addition health insurance.

Once you signup for Part B Medicare you will pay about $135.00 a month but you will not pay for tricare anymore.. also if your spouse is younger than you she/he retains Tricare and you must make payment for one person instead of 2 , if you have dependent children tricare payments remain the same for them.

https://tricare.mil/tfl

On 5/25/2019 at 8:11 AM, jfrei said:

Is their a way to opt out now for B or is permanent I’m only 33

If you did not elect Part B, they cannot charge you for it. Part A is automatic.  I am surprised the VA would tell you its not needed.... first they normally don't get involved with Medicare ,second they cannot charge Medicare for care so why would they get involved.

I also  use VA for much of my medical care,  but I still pay for Part B Medicare  because it gives me another option. 

For example,  while I can get care on Fort Hood, sometimes they refer me out of the system and then Medicare and Tricare pick up the cost.  If I didn't have both I would have to pay a co-payment. 

I only use VA  because of prosthesis ie wheelchair, auto adapted equipment etc, so I must be in their primary care system to get items to support my service  connected disability. I do not trust the VA to do any surgery, in fact, I would not even agree to be admitted to the VA. 

And another kicker if I was admitted to the VA I would lose my Aid & Attendance  for the period I was in the VA Hospital.

Instead, I would go outside the system  or to a military hospital for admittance and I get what I consider better care, and keep my A&A even if in a military Hospital.  ( I have been admitted twice since Feb 2019 into Darnell Army Medical Center , even the Food is Free).

With Medicare  part B I have three options for medical care,  you only have one...... think about what would happen if you were miles from home and involved in an auto accident and your not near a VA hospital.. what will you do then ? you will pay out of pocket  that is what you will do.

Sure no one wants to pay for Part B,  but when you need it you will be glad you have it.

Edited by Richard1954

I agree with you, I just think it is a shame we need to also have medicare B when we already have tricare. For me right now I don't spend that much on co-pay. I live near Langley AFB and Ft. Eustis my family and I are able to see the doctors there. My wife even had major surgery at Langley a few weeks ago and nothing out of pocket. 

But I know I will be required to buy Medicare part B when I turn 65, just another expense to look forward to.