Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I'm 100%PT my wife is being medically retired from Army

jsimon757

Question

So back story. I am 100%P&T, but my wife is being medically retired from Army, and we have 2children under 18 and one 18yr old living at home going to school. I am curious how the coverage works. During her out-processing they said she has to make a choice in which Tricare she is going to go with. Do we not have a choice between Champva vs Tricare?

Thank you for the help. I did read the FAQ but wasn't sure if rules have changed with any of the latest changes passed by congress.

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

On 1/12/2019 at 10:08 AM, broncovet said:

Now I wish I would have let him stumble earlier, and let him learn on his own I wouldnt be there to pick up the pieces forever.  I cant believe I am still making parenting mistakes after more than 40 years of being a parent. 

@broncovet

we all make mistakes, just don't repeat them.

My Daughter turns 42 May 30th. I am so glad I did not follow your path. I let her fall and stumble along the way. Never anything serious when she was younger, but she learned that actions had consequences and choices had costs. When she han tantrums and said mean things it hurt my heart, but I held my ground. She learned the word NO very early. She also learned tantrums did not change a darn thing.

One example is that when she went to college, NYU Double Masters in Economics and International Business. I refused to pay her way. She needed to apply for loans and grants and work waiting tables etc to have pocket money, she lived in the dorms. Then for her graduation present I had put away the full cost of her loans and paid them off the day after she graduated. I found it was the best way to make her earn her way and still be "dad" and take care of her.

I did give her an emergency credit card and insisted if she used it she had to pay it off each month or lose it. I also paid for holiday flights home, but she went to school year round, no break, so there were not as many as I would have liked. I visited her and did little stuff, but the main weight was on her shoulders.

My own mother told us from jump street that when we turned 18 we had to either be in college or be able to support ourselves. She was going to sell the house the minute we graduated college or turned 18. I went into the military, my sister got a job and moved in with her soon to be husband. My mother sold the house and herself got a one bedroom trailer with no couch. She was serious about not having adult kids living at home.

I see my friends struggle with similar issues to yours and I feel glad I went with my path instead. She stands on her own two feet and takes no crap from anyone. She has earned everything she has and knows the value and pride in hard honest work.

I have empathy for your situation, but I am really glad I did not go that path.

after receiving 100 % p and t i feel so stupid.... yes i love the money but wow..... i was under the assumption that my dependent children would get college for free. i was under the assumption that my dependents would get health care for free.... wow was i WRONG..... IF I DIED THEN YES... IF I CANT WORK TO DEVELOP A BETTER LIFE BECAUSE I WAS HURT WELL IM UP SHITS CREEK AND SO ARE MY KIDS.... WHAT WAS I READING THAT MADE ME THINK THIS? ITS ALL A FARSE. YES THE MONEY HELPS BUT I STILL CANT AFFORD CAR INSURANCE FOR MY DEPENDENTS, COLLEGE FOR THEM OR HEALTH CARE.