Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Should I apply for a higher rating?

Rate this question

david dupe

Question

I really need some direction please. I receive 100% I/u pt. They rated me as follows, All service connected. Bronchitis, chronic 10%, Arteriosclerrotic heart disease 60%, hypertensive vascular disease 10%, radius impairment 10%, degenerative arthritis (spine) 10%, chronic adjustment disorder 10%, prior to my rating I lost my spleen due to a infarction and it’s not rated. I was also denied on my central sleep apnea, I went through va sleep study and given a nasal cpap machine, they said it’s not service connected. Since all of these ratings I have the following wrong with me. Stroke,afib, stent(heart), aorta heart valve replaced(leaking), they noticed minutes before my surgery that I was enemic and gave me blood.ive been diagnosed with congestive heart failure a few times lately, I was first diagnosed with it and put on lasics in 2005. Should I apply for a higher percentage? I need some direction please!!!!

• Answers 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA is supposed to automatically grant SMC if you qualify,  but don't count on it.  I had to file a CUE to get my SMC Housebound.

• HadIt.com Elder

That's right John999

When I was rated TDIU P&T  For a few years  I finally broke down and filed my PTSD Claim  IN 2015.

I was just sick and tired fighting the VA with what I'd got...so my spouse and my VA PCP & MH Doc talked me into filing the PTSD Claim (which is highly usual)

I had figured it was a waist of time and stress to file,  but I just made my mind up If I would be denied and wonder about Appeals all over again. SO I THOUGHT WHY THE HELL NOT.

Well I filed the PTSD claim  and had my QTC forensic C&P Exam with a Private (Phyistrist  Ph.D.) and with all my stressor's and medical records  they Approve it first time around, (70%) and I guess I was lucky that the rater looked at my Combined 90% IU P&T Rating Being paid at the 100%rate that  I had already since 2002 and he/she check the SMC Special rating table  and mention I met the SMC S Criteria...I had thought  they inferred it but they don't infer the SMC  but suppose to look at what the Veteran is rated at present and award the correct SMC ..in my case it was SMC S House Bound.

I filed for ED  SMC K and got that too  because I had medical records from the VA DX and filed secondary to my PTSD Meds...I did go see a private urologist and he gave his opinion on my ED as related and caused by my PTSD Medications...but they never used his opinion letter in my claim, but its in my medical records now.

Had I known they would just use the VA Dr's opinion  I would not have wasted the $$$ seeing the private Urologist.

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

davis dupe quoted

''If they approve my % increase like I expect, will they automatically file for smc if I qualify??

Yes they should  as John999 mention but they don't always do this.

with  your s.c. disability's should get you up there on the SMC Criteria level  they give SMC for the severity of the condition since  you are 100%   if any of these other conditions warrant a 60% or higher   this is automatic rating for SMC...

When you filed for all theses conditions and if you were already at 100%   you could request them look at the SMC Rating table and rate you in accordance with the SMC Rating table and grant the correct SMC Award, you could possibly meet the A&A SMC Critera   as Richard1954 mention   SMC Is a Additional compensation paid out above the 100& rating   which is a lot more $$$  to help a veteran & his family financially .

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

I appreciate all your info.  The $$$ help would go along ways, I already pay people to mow my yard, clean my house & laundry. 

Let me try to understand this I don't comprehend things as well since my stroke. If I get atleast a 60% rating to go along with my 80% I/u p/t I will qualify for smc s??

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes , Being IU p&t qualify's you for the SMC if you get another separate rating 60% or higher....being IU your actually 100%  B/C Your being paid at the 100%rate but your combined rating is 80% 

Also it depends basically on your condition and the severity  and rather or not its chronic and not expected to improve in your life time with no future exams scheduled....it should have mention that when you got the P&T

Edited by Buck52

If it mentioned that I don't remember, that rating was back in 2005. I wish my heart blood vascular problems etc. would get better, but it doesn't appear that they will. Fluid on my heart and body keeps holding on along with exaustion hard time breathing etc. they pulled 20 something pounds of fluid off of me after they replaced my aortic valve in march. I'm so tired of feeling this way!!