Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Opened claim from 2005

Rate this question

Point_break

Question

Hello. I served in Iraq from early 2003-2004 as a reservist. My unit burned human waste and trash in barrels right outside our building that had no windows. I would constantly wake up to our room filled with smoke. I also burned and computer parts on a weekly basis  the whole time I was there. I eventually developed a cough. I went to the VA in 2005 about my cough. They set up an appointment for me but I never received anything for it. I never followed up with it and decided to just suck it up. I eventually developed bronchitis that last months and then a not so bad cough/clear throat that last a few more months every year for the last 14 years. There are other things but I won't  get into that now. I finally went back to the VA and they told me they would reopen the case. If approved for disability would I get back pay from 2005 when I first opened the case or just when I went back to the VA? Thank you

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Did you filed a claim for it back in 2005 ? or just seek medical care?

Usually the early effective date is when the claim was first filed or facts found  but

Unfortunately, when you reopen a claim, retroactive benefits are not paid to you based on the date you originally filed a claim, but instead are based on the date you filed a request to have the claim reopened. 

Are you in the Burn Pit Registry?

https://www.va.gov/health/newsfeatures/2014/october/burn-pit-exposure-signup-now-in-va-registry.asp

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

Would the VA consider being expose to burning feces smoke as being qualified for Burn Pit Registry?  Every vet who went to Vietnam would have a case.  First thing I smelled when I got to the air base was burning S**t and diesel.

• HadIt.com Elder

LOL   

Sorry john 999   this don't apply to us old Nam Dogs

Just post 911 veterans.& post 90/91 Gulf War Vets

https://mobile.va.gov/app/burn-pit-registry

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

VA considers Nam dogs as walking dead men.  They are writing us off as we speak.  Did the VA ever expand the Care Giver benefit to our spouses?

First, I would like to say Thank You to all the Veterans who came before me and leading the way. How the Va treat different Eras of veterans gets my blood boiling. Treating WWI, WWII,NAM,GULFWAR1, Veterans different than Iraq and Afghanistan is unacceptable in my book.

Second to Point_break, I have gone through the same thing as you are going through and finally got service connected for Burn Pit exposure in Iraq last year after 14 years, I to served in Iraq in 2003. There has to be a diagnoses of respiratory issues, getting treatment, opinion that your breathing and or respiratory issues are linked or connected to the Burn Pits. I had a favorable C&P for the Burn Pit a year ago and the doctor was in tears saying you guys are getting treated just like the Nam Vets because all of the evidence in there in front of the VA and stated verbally to me if any Nam Vet ever had to see him for a C&P they would get what he or she has earned. I got kind of nervous because he started going off, so I asked sir are you a veteran? He replied no, I'am sick and tired of our veterans getting screwed over and then I left not knowing what was the out come of the C&P exam.