VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

USO access at Air Ports

Rate this question

Mitch242

Question

Hi, I am going to be relocating to the east coast, and I called the USO at DFW airport to ask them if I  could utilize the USO at the airport. The volunteer was not completely aware or knowledgeable, but she kept asking if I had a military DOD issued ID card that did not look like a veterans ID card issued by the VA. I am 100% Total and Permanent and have a military ID card with indefinite expiration date. Has anyone else used the USO at airports and not had any issues? I hate the crowds

Edited by Mitch242

I used the USO in service, but not as a Vet.  I guess I should ask why you want to use the USO?  

When we are in the military, we are often sent to unfamiliar places or even unfamiliar countries, some with unfamiliar language.  

Thanks for the replies. I wanted to use the USO while waiting to board my flight. I always get anxiety waiting in those little chairs in front of the terminal, and there is so much going on around. I havent flown in years since my last meltdown waiting in the bathroom down the hall from my terminal. DFW is a HUGE airport, and my agoraphobia kicks in. I also will be flying with my spouse, and our toddler who has never flown before. I know at this USO they have a little kids area with toys and books and it would make the trip a little smoother.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

About 10 years ago, I was traveling  for work and visited the USO at the airport in St.Louis. At the time, I was not 100% and did not yet have an ID card. I showed the volunteer my VAMC ID card and they said come on in. They were cool about it and explained that they knew it can take years to get through the VA red tape. I don't know if other facilities or volunteers share the same sentiment. However, the USO was only about 20% full, so they were not short of space at the time.

What makes that USO facility special to me was the fact that I had visited it before as a kid as a military dependent in the late 1980's. My mother and I flew out of Georgia to join my father who was stationed in South Korea. Our stopover was at St. Louis and we visited the facility. It was great.

• HadIt.com Elder

use your military ID card with the with indefinite expiration date.

you should have no problem,  but times have change with ''Homeland Security''  And the USA Security Service Since I was in..but I am sure the USO won't turn you away.

Edited by Buck52

According to the Military Times, 100% P&T vets can use the USO. Here's the link:

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/2016/06/18/waypointer-explores-seattle-tacoma-airport-s-new-uso-lounge/

"The USO Center is open to all active-duty personnel, 100 percent disabled veterans, retirees and their families, as well as Guard/Reserve/Defense Department employees on orders."