VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Secretary Praises Departments Model Path to Ending opioid addiction

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Sounds promising

I do not know about this.  I take pain meds in the lowest does possible to control pain so I can function and sleep.  I am still in pain but it is bearable.  I noted that they are going to stop using opioids for new patients.  Sometimes there is a need for these drugs to function effectively.  I resisted opioids for six months until the pain was more than I could handle and I think this was the right decision for me.  We should let the patient and doctor decide on whether this medication is necessary on a case by case basis instead of writing a policy that denies this option.

The problem with this is that those that actually need pain medication  cannot get them. I was given some stuff to help me with back and knee pain.. it did nothing to help.. and the VA primary care doctor required me to take a urine test every three months... I finally told him to keep his "aspirn".. its no wonder vets self medicate.  After I had surgery to remove my gallbladder ( in march)  I was given exactly 8 Oxycontin pills.. this was to last me 5 days... yea right..... 

• HadIt.com Elder

Roger that

I think this is only a trial run  and see how it goes.

People can't suffer  and until they find a better way of putting up with the pain  the opioids will have to keep coming   (jmo)

I am hoping they pass a law for every state to use marijuana  that works for pain better than anything...maybe it does distort the brain  but it makes the brain say you don't have the pain you did have.  if it turns me into a pot head  I;ll take that over the pain anyday.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

When I had my heart attack earlier this month, I was given fentanyl during two procedures and a bunch of either morphine or norco during recovery. No urge to take more. 

However, the coming challenge is already here. I used to take NSAIDs daily with norco as needed to control my chronic pain, but cannot take NSAIDs regularly any more due to the cardiac risk. Acupuncture worked really well, too, but can't continue because I am on a ton of blood thinners. I'm taking tylenol daily now, trying not to use my norco unless it approaches unbearable levels. I'm not even back at work yet, so I don't know how I will deal when it when I return.