Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can a VSO request a re-examination?

Rate this question

VeteranNadine

Question

I just got the results from my C&P and my total percentage of disability was increased to 80%. For me and my situation I find this a very favorable result. I was working with a great VSO who has worked with me over the years and I really liked and trusted him. He has helped me a lot. But he just retired. He recommended me someone else after he left. I asked the new person a question about when my new rating benefits would take effect? He explained the process to me, and demanded my social security number to check on things. I gave it to him and he looked up my case. He had already answered my question without the SSN.  He seemed disgusted with the case. He was gruff and dismissive.  He is new to the system and he doesn't seem for the Veterans. 

Now I really wish I had not seen him or given him my social security number.  

I'm now afraid he might put in for a re-eval and decrease in percentage of disability. Is this even possible? Am I worried about something I don't need to be worried about? Or can a VSO request re-eval and decrease?

Thanks,

-maybe i'm worried about nothing VeteranNadine

• HadIt.com Elder

Well they can if they think you need one or  your old one was not favorable  because the examiner never read your evidence or included it in his/her report ?

but I don't see why he is requesting another one unless you got low balled and he disagrees with the decision? but its a good Ideal this VSO lets you know this before he does it  I mean you guys need to be on the same page here.

• HadIt.com Elder

USUALLY

The staff at your local VA medical center or a local doctor’s office that we (va)partner with will contact you. They’ll either send you a letter by mail with the date and time of your exam, or call you to find a time that works for you.

Make sure both the VA regional office and the VA medical center nearest you have your up-to-date address, phone number, and email address so you get your exam notice in time.

• Adminstrator
14 hours ago, VeteranNadine said:

I just got the results from my C&P and my total percentage of disability was increased to 80%. For me and my situation I find this a very favorable result. I was working with a great VSO who has worked with me over the years and I really liked and trusted him. He has helped me a lot. But he just retired. He recommended me someone else after he left. I asked the new person a question about when my new rating benefits would take effect? He explained the process to me, and demanded my social security number to check on things. I gave it to him and he looked up my case. He had already answered my question without the SSN.  He seemed disgusted with the case. He was gruff and dismissive.  He is new to the system and he doesn't seem for the Veterans. 

Now I really wish I had not seen him or given him my social security number.  

I'm now afraid he might put in for a re-eval and decrease in percentage of disability. Is this even possible? Am I worried about something I don't need to be worried about? Or can a VSO request re-eval and decrease?

Thanks,

-maybe i'm worried about nothing VeteranNadine

I know normally a VSO can't do anything with your approval.  Unless he saw something that was a blatant lie.  

I am guessing they may have just had a bad day?   Also you don't have to work with him. typically there are more VSO's you are able to see.  Did he say we need to put in to reduce you?  This just sounds very odd.  

I dont think you have much to worry about, but, if you dont like the VSO, switch.  

VSO's are charged with representing the Veterans best interests.  

And, asking VA to give you a reduction exam is not in your best interest.  I think that is spelled l-a-w-s-u-i-t.  

• HadIt.com Elder

This is the way I see it. Maybe, just maybe, you are trying to compare your old vso with this new guy. You trusted the older guy and he worked great with you over the long haul. Now he retires and, well, you know, the newbie just isn't quite right. But, here is the point, first impressions are important; you can only do it once. For whatever reason, you just aren't clicking with this new guy. No worries; just go into ebenies and remove his name. Tell him you just don't need his services now and thank him. In the future, if you have need for a new vso, get one you can work with. Like is too short; if you aren't comfortable, you don't have to put up with it. Trust your instincts.

On 4/30/2019 at 5:12 PM, Buck52 said:

...because the examiner never read your evidence or included it in his/her report ?

Thank for saying this in particular!