• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

OldSoldier

What caregiver options are available for pre9/11 vets?

Question

I’ve been pretty messed up for a lot of years and physically mentally unable to do anything with my va benefits until a few years ago when I got help, so I was 50% for 20 years. With ptsd since Iraq and chronic fatigue / fibromyalgia since 2010, i just finally got rated 100% p&t effective 2 years ago. My wife my caregiver all these years but I lost all other financial benefits except va so I am trying to find out how to get caregiver for my wife. I am 90s vet. I did read about smc l but my experience with c p exams has left me in a place where I’d rather eat a bullet.

To get caregiver benefits probably means the same thing:  You would need a c and p exam to show you needed a caregiver.  Of course, that is, UNLESS you have it already documented that you need a caregiver.  

OldSoldier.

Broncovet is dead on.  The process has gotten easier, especially if you have all of your ducks in a row.  You should look at the SMC and see which area first your circumstances the best.  From what has recently happened to me, it is dropping the 5 star evidence and then a C&P is done.  Took about 20 minutes.

As for the fight it does not get easier, and it does suck to have to fight them so much.  It feel like a handout, for whatever reason we went in healthy and did not leave the same way.  There is a reason that soldiers have such a high disability rate.  There is a reason GULF WAR VETS have 5 presumptive conditions which one or two of them can cover hundreds of conditions.  

Also remember you part of the 1% of those in our country that will see war have probably see some awful things, which other Americans will never see.  So fight for what was taken from you!  We are all here to help our sisters and brothers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

About a year ago my wife tried to get caregiver through va but they said not eligible because only post 9/11 vets. My doctor filled out the aid and assistance form 21 something for me at the time.

Edited by OldSoldier

what is your S.C. Rating Percentage?

Are you a Vietnam combat veteran?

https://www.va.gov/health-care/family-caregiver-benefits/comprehensive-assistance/

It is my understanding that Pre  911 veterans are not yet able to get caregiver benefits. While it was approved, the va is required to go thru some kind of study before it will finally be open to all veterans. Also, you do not have to be a combat veteran for caregiver benefits, you will just have to show that you need a caregiver, if you already have Aid & attendance that is proof you need a caregiver.