Weird Issues Status on Appeal

infernoskream

Question

Hello Everyone!

I had a weird question. I did an appeal for a secondary condition. Va.gov or vets.gov says that the case has been closed with no decision information.

However, when I click on the issues tab next to the appeals it says "In Review: Compensation Issue." What does that mean? The VA won't tell me and I'm assuming I'm going to just have to wait on the BBE. I've never seen that type of issue before. I wasn't sure if it meant that the appeal was granted and they were calculating compensation or what. Any light that could be shined on this would be helpful. Thanks, everyone!

Edited by infernoskream
misspelling (see edit history)
  • Confused 1

JoshBirch, don't assume anything. ebennies, va.gov are not always reliable or up to date. So don't assume you were anything. You need to wait for the bbe (big brown envelope) to arrive. Actually, a note saying "compensation issue" could mean it is at a side bar where finance are figuring out what they owe you. Don't know, wait for whatever in writing.

Edited by GBArmy
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Do you have another claim open?  The VA is now very bad at combining everything into one claim now.  Also it could be on another page.

I just had one recently also. You can call the 1-800 number (Peggy) and see if they can tell you where else you can call if they can't give you an answer, you could call the white house hot line and complain that the site doesn't give out answers and that is the whole reason why the site exits and see if you can get a quick response, you can call the Regional Office you submitted to and see what they say, and you can call your Congressman's office and speak to the Veteran rep. The answer is this is a  new (delaying) tactic the VA now has  and if we don't complain, they won't fix it.

• Like 2

About 100,000 claims were "resolved" by the VA simply deleting them, without a decision.  Its "shreddergate 2", which is accomplished easier, now, by the use of the "delete" key.   I read this recently, and no, I dont have a link. 

Its not anything new.  There is pressure for VA to reduce the backlog, and "poof", the backlog is gone compliments of the delete key.  

This said, ebenefits and vets.gov is unreliable.  You need to get a representative to look into VBMS to see if its there.  Or keep calling..you choose.   

You have made a point that the PRO SE Vet is discriminated against.  He cant see his VBMS file while with many representatives (that chose to jump through the hoops to gain access to VBMS) can.  

I think its a violation of due process, ripe for a writ of mandamus.  Vets have a right to see their file, and the one they mail you is out of date by the time it arrives by snail mail.  (Stuff is constantantly added or deleted to your cfile, on a daily basis).  

There are 3 reasons why VA denies pro se Vets access to their VBMS file:  

1.  It saves them money and keeps Vets in the dark.  

2.  It is a IT security problem that VA does not want to solve.  (The VA really already solved it.  You see, your ebenefits account is where you change your bank account info, so it has to be secure and not allow unauthorized access.  The VA does this by requiring an "in person" authentication (usually by the VAMC librarian).   

3.  Because they can.  

Edited by broncovet (see edit history)

I currently have the same status on my claim. The claim was completed but no information on the decision is available. Under the “issues” tab it did say Sleep Apnea, now it says “Compensation Issue”. I’m curious as to what you e found out since you first posted this. I’ve checked ebenefits and tried to generate a benefits letter, both of which have my old info and percentage. I’m thinking it was denied because of this but I can’t be sure yet.

The best thing to do is just wait, .. there is a reason for the status even if it isn't apparent yet.. some   of the comments made  in response to your question are conjecture  , no one knows the answer to the question that is why it is just best to wait and see .....

My appeal was completed 4 days ago.. it says current review.. compensation issues. I don’t know if I’ve been denied. I’m hoping the VA acknowledges the proof I sent in, I just didn’t understand the c and p exam.. if I had proof of diagnosed disability in service and I’m still being treated today for it, then why the c and p exam?  I don’t trust c and p exams. I’m looking to see what happens to your claim. I wish you the best.  Keep us posted. God bless. 

Update on my claim. It said claim complete, with compensation issue. I got my decision letter and all three things were denied. I don’t know why the VA keeps denying my appeals when I give substantial amount of proof of injury in service and I’m being treated for these ailments today. So compensation issue doesn’t mean you’re approved. I’m going to appeal again and probably go the higher level review route. Good luck to everyone else. 

GodisGood You might have better luck if you start by posting the decision letter after redacting your personnel info. We need detail in order to advise, what you're claiming, what is your evidence, what are your symptoms, what is in your c-file., etc. 

As GBArmy says I would redact and post your recent denial.  We may be able to help you with why you are denied.

I would not go with an HLR right out of the gate.  I think a supplemental appeal might be better as you can add new evidence.

Godisgood.

Welcome to hadit.  Please ask your question in a New post, rather than in someone else's.  You are new so, I will answer your question this one time.  

Appealing your decision with HLR (Higher level review) is not recommended UNLESS you have a copy of your cfile, and its recent, AND you have all 3 Caluza elements documented.  

If you are unsure of what is in your file, OR you are missing one or more Caluza elements, then file a NOD with Supplemental Claim lane and include, as evidence, documentation of a diagnosis, in service event or aggravation, and a nexus.  (Caluza elements).

As GBArmy posted, I agree you should post your decision especially the "reasons and bases" and redact your name and address.  You also need a copy of your cfile.   Now, if you sign up with a VSO, do so with one who has access to your VBMS file...which is basically your cfile in real time online.  

If your VSO does not have access to your VBMS file, then they probably wont be that much help.  If you already have a VSO, ask to see your VBMS file.   

To reiterate, please post your decision along with details in a new post.  

Edited by broncovet (see edit history)

i filed a  compensation  claim for  backpay and it showed up under  my supplemental claim as a compensation issues  which to me means they  made a mistake in  my  compensation date as  my claims go back to 1978 and  they didnt  start paying me  till mar 2018 after i filed a copy of my service medical records which were lost since 1979, i am owwed compensation from 1979 when i  first got out of the service , as they could not find my service records they could not pay me  till they found  those service medical records that  proved my medical  claims were  service connected   disabality as they were in my  service record , they now must pay me from the onset of my  service connected  disabality  or the  date of my first claim for  compensation which would be 1982 , they have only paid  me from  mar 2018 so far and are  calling it a compensation issue  as they figure out my retro backpay , that is my  thoughts on  compensation issue 

I just received a check in the mail equaling 90% disabled. No BBE no word from my rep, nothing. I first went to VA.gov and it says my appeal (started in 07 and continualy disputed) is now closed. Under the issues tab there are 7 bullet points and all say Compensation issue. I finally found out my rating and what for on the E-benefits site. Personally I'm wondering if all those bullet point "Compensation issues" mean that they're calculating back-pay.

Edited by Dwise741 (see edit history)

If you have received your check and still no BBE it should be coming soon.  I would call peggy and ask what it up.  They can look at your case but they usually do not give information out unless you ask nicely and they are in a good mood.  They should at least be able to tell you when the BBE went out.

Unbelievable.....

Hopefully this a technical glitch and not file cleansing.

On 9/2/2019 at 8:11 PM, JoshBirch said:

I currently have the same status on my claim. The claim was completed but no information on the decision is available. Under the “issues” tab it did say Sleep Apnea, now it says “Compensation Issue”. I’m curious as to what you e found out since you first posted this. I’ve checked ebenefits and tried to generate a benefits letter, both of which have my old info and percentage. I’m thinking it was denied because of this but I can’t be sure yet.

I had seve condition s listed in the issues box all . say the same . but case closed