• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Merc

Just joined the board

Question

Hello all, Just joined the board. Stumbled on here after getting fed up with VA and their nonsense.

Since I started reading, I've made a leap of faith and reached out to a few of the respected doctors for some assistance with putting our stuff together. So far, Dr. Bash has been the most responsive. After speaking with me and my wife, he thinks he can move us both from 20% to 100%... It's not cheap - quoted $18k!!  But if he can deliver and maybe even get us some retro, it may be worth it.

Figured I'd chronicle the adventure here for the benefit of others.

Good Morning all!  

Lots of good info and things that I have considered. Both my wife and I have been out of the military for over 20 years. After fighting with the VA all this time we're UP to a meager 20% each. We've grown weary of the fight. All we ever run into is a hassle and inconvenience at the VA. The doctors are apprehensive and don't want to really consider our issue. My wife needs to use a cane for her issues and they give us grief for requesting a signature to get a disabled parking placcard. It's ridiculous. The VA doctors and C&P examiners make us feel like we're asking for something that we do not deserve, like we're somehow stealing benefits or something like that.   I'm 10% for tinnitus and 10% for a messed up wrist. I have sleep apnea and the CPAP, rhinitis and probably GERD as well. Also, have lots of pain/joint issues and raynauds.  Wife is 10% for hip issue and 10% for migraines (misdiagnosed MS)---   She was a paratrooper and has a bunch of foot, leg, back, neck issues. Apnea as well/cpap, etc.  Thus, we've started to feel like we should get some expert help and sometimes you will actually get what you pay for.

That said, $18k is a HUGE amount of money and not something we can readily afford. And when we spoke to the Dr. he did NOT guarantee 100%. He merely stated that he thinks we were severely underrated and that we should be at 100% with my wife possibly in the realm of SMC-L...  He did think that he COULD get us to the 100% mark.  I agree with you all that there are no guarantees and anyone who gives a guarantee in a business like this is surely not to be believed. He did state that he could offer some sort of payment plan and that it was basically on the honor system as we would have his work before he would have his fee in full. 

I did reach out to several "options" but it was surprisingly difficult to get responses from anyone.  I've reached out to Attig twice (not even a return call or email);  I reached out to REE Medical and they claimed they could get my wife to 70% for $1800. (nothing they could do for me);  I reached out to Anaise and got a return email recommending I read his book, nothing further; reached out to Bash and received an email reply, a phone conversation last night for about an hour, and another call this morning. While he is super expensive, he at least appears to be responsive.  I'm still nervous about this, but I need to do something. 

My hope is that there is way to get all of this sorted in a timely fashion, and maybe be able to reach back for retro pay as well.

I understand that this is a public forum and that Dr. Bash is a member here as well as others mentioned earlier. My intent is not to disparage or dissuade. I am merely documenting our journey for the benefit of others. I welcome any and all input from the more experienced folks here. 

Did you mean 'for you and your wife'- as you are both disabled vets with claims?

I paid Dr Bash for 2 IMOs many years ago and knew that ,because of the work I had already done on the claim I ,would succeed at the BVA-(the RO refused to read his IMOs) And I did succeed.

If I had not prepared a cover letter and refered in it to tabbed medical entries, in the stack of what he needed, I am sure the IMO fee would have been much higher.

But I am curious as to what is missing from you claim, at this point, for anyone to charge you that much money.

Can you scan and attach their last denial? (cover the C file ## and your name prior to scanning it)

Ms. Berta:  I think it's a matter of having a disjointed mess where nothing is connected to the other thing.   What I was looking for was to have an expert review our files and either tell us what we needed to do or to assist us with getting the file put together in the best way possible.  I think we have allowed the hassle and headache of our experience with this to push us in this direction.  My understanding is that we need DBQ, Nexus, IMO, IME, etc...  When we spoke with Dr. Bash, he was talking about tests/consults we should have ordered and connections that could be made to meet certain guidelines. This is all new to us so it's overwhelming.

You do say something that has me concerned "the RO refused to read his IMO's"--- WHAT??   If that is possible, how can anyone feel comfortable charging such a high fee? I can understand getting paid for services rendered, but if they are unable to be used, then that is an issue.

I am happy to scan our denials for your review. It'll have to be a later this evening though...  I'm curious to know your thoughts on this.

Please follow Bertha's advice and post your last SOC.  I realize that fighting the VA is a difficult and draining process but before you spend 18K upfront research all other avenues.  I had to hire a lawyer to get my final benefits but that was because the VA was violating CFR's.  My IMO's cost me $2500 and the lawyer took 20% of my award after it was awarded.  Maybe we can help you get you started.

• Like 1

I think $18k upfront is too much to ask someone.  There are some companies that can help you and you only pay based on what your increase is. I have been in touch with two companies that seem legit and they are expensive as well but you only have to pay if you get an increase.  I would look into them before sending such a large amount of money with no increase.  I will not mention names because I don't know if it violates any rules.  I personally did not use them but know a few people that have.  I felt I am able to do myself what they offered. Not everyone can put together a claim the right way.  I know I screwed it up myself with my first claim but I have learned a lot over the last year or so.  If you want information just send me a private message.  I can't guarantee their effectiveness because like I said I have not used them but if you need assistance maybe they can help or even an attorney as well. 

If you think you can do this on your own it is like Vetquest said.  Maybe we can help you out to get you started and then go from there.