VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Just joined the board

Rate this question

Merc

Question

Hello all, Just joined the board. Stumbled on here after getting fed up with VA and their nonsense.

Since I started reading, I've made a leap of faith and reached out to a few of the respected doctors for some assistance with putting our stuff together. So far, Dr. Bash has been the most responsive. After speaking with me and my wife, he thinks he can move us both from 20% to 100%... It's not cheap - quoted $18k!!  But if he can deliver and maybe even get us some retro, it may be worth it.

Figured I'd chronicle the adventure here for the benefit of others.

Did you mean 'for you and your wife'- as you are both disabled vets with claims?

I paid Dr Bash for 2 IMOs many years ago and knew that ,because of the work I had already done on the claim I ,would succeed at the BVA-(the RO refused to read his IMOs) And I did succeed.

If I had not prepared a cover letter and refered in it to tabbed medical entries, in the stack of what he needed, I am sure the IMO fee would have been much higher.

But I am curious as to what is missing from you claim, at this point, for anyone to charge you that much money.

Can you scan and attach their last denial? (cover the C file ## and your name prior to scanning it)

Ms. Berta:  I think it's a matter of having a disjointed mess where nothing is connected to the other thing.   What I was looking for was to have an expert review our files and either tell us what we needed to do or to assist us with getting the file put together in the best way possible.  I think we have allowed the hassle and headache of our experience with this to push us in this direction.  My understanding is that we need DBQ, Nexus, IMO, IME, etc...  When we spoke with Dr. Bash, he was talking about tests/consults we should have ordered and connections that could be made to meet certain guidelines. This is all new to us so it's overwhelming.

You do say something that has me concerned "the RO refused to read his IMO's"--- WHAT??   If that is possible, how can anyone feel comfortable charging such a high fee? I can understand getting paid for services rendered, but if they are unable to be used, then that is an issue.

I am happy to scan our denials for your review. It'll have to be a later this evening though...  I'm curious to know your thoughts on this.

Please follow Bertha's advice and post your last SOC.  I realize that fighting the VA is a difficult and draining process but before you spend 18K upfront research all other avenues.  I had to hire a lawyer to get my final benefits but that was because the VA was violating CFR's.  My IMO's cost me $2500 and the lawyer took 20% of my award after it was awarded.  Maybe we can help you get you started.

I think $18k upfront is too much to ask someone.  There are some companies that can help you and you only pay based on what your increase is. I have been in touch with two companies that seem legit and they are expensive as well but you only have to pay if you get an increase.  I would look into them before sending such a large amount of money with no increase.  I will not mention names because I don't know if it violates any rules.  I personally did not use them but know a few people that have.  I felt I am able to do myself what they offered. Not everyone can put together a claim the right way.  I know I screwed it up myself with my first claim but I have learned a lot over the last year or so.  If you want information just send me a private message.  I can't guarantee their effectiveness because like I said I have not used them but if you need assistance maybe they can help or even an attorney as well. 

If you think you can do this on your own it is like Vetquest said.  Maybe we can help you out to get you started and then go from there. 

Last week our radio show producer said Craig Bash didn't have my phone # any more and wanted to call me-

I might have missed his call- maybe I should call him -to see if the other issue  he wanted to discuss with me ,was resolved by now,

and to run this by him-- but I sure would like to see why they denied you.....first---

That is the highest fee I have ever heard of him charging anyone.

The requested amount of money of $18k is the discounted rate for both me and my wife. He stated he usually charges $10k a person but for the two of us it would be $18k. This would include DBQ, orders, lay letter, retro pay review by his legal expert, nexus and the complete package would also have the scans, reports and his resume. He seemed extremely confident that our claims were severely underrated and that he could get us both to 100%. Then he ventured into the realm of SMC-L and started talking compensation numbers that felt a bit unreal...  (I heard Attig once mention 100% with SMC and it coming out to around $8k a month- for essentially worst case scenario quadriplegic, bed ridden, house bound.) Dr. Bash was talking close to those numbers (not THAT high) but much more than we ever anticipated.

As I said earlier, the fees requested seemed really steep to me as well.

Apologies, as I'm new here, all of my posts are bottle-necked until reviewed by moderator. I'm not being slow on purpose.

Edited by Merc
correction