VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Partially Rated + Deferred claim questions

Rate this question

HONDOII

Question

Hey everyone,

Long time lurker but decided to finally sign up.

I recently received a partial rating on my initial claim (10 years after separation from the Army - 11B). My question with this portion is as follows:

I had a C&P through VES for a benign growth, left testicle service connected at 0%. Now I know for a fact that when asked during the exam how often I urinate, I told the examiner a couple times every hour (side note: it reallyyy sucks) and watched them check the box for that answer on the DBQ. A few weeks later I looked up the eCFR in which benign growths (neoplasms) can be rated as voiding dysfunctions, which can evaluate to urinary frequency, and it's rated at 40%.  I know that it's only speculation since I don't have the DBQ (yet) but barring the examiner changing my answer after leaving the room, what would be the best recourse for correcting the rating?

Second situation:

I received a deferred status on bilateral shin splints but my secondary condition I claimed for left knee pain was rated at 10%.  I didn't think that secondary conditions were allowed to be rated if the primary contention wasn't service connected as well?  Is this an indication that perhaps at least my left leg shin splint issue was approved but requires further examiner clarification for a rating?  Or is there a possibility of the VA revoking my secondary condition award based on the outcome of the primary claim?

As always, I know I need to wait for my BBE and possibly request my C-File, but I figured I'd ask to see if anyone had any similar experiences in either case.

-Paul

Edited by Mrpdbo

Did you apply for "voiding dysfunction"?  If not, you should do so, pronto.  We have learned not to expect VA to connect the dots for you.  Its exceptionally rare when they do.    They might, but dont count on it.  

Second situation:

No.  If you dont have a primary condition, then there is no secondary.  Maybe that is why it has been deferred?  

In other words, if you are seeking secondary sc, and the primary has not yet been SC, then maybe they will adjuticate the primary first, then the secondary.  It cant be the other way around.  You have to have a primary before any secondary.  

30 minutes ago, broncovet said:

Did you apply for "voiding dysfunction"?  If not, you should do so, pronto.  We have learned not to expect VA to connect the dots for you.  Its exceptionally rare when they do.    They might, but dont count on it.  

Second situation:

No.  If you dont have a primary condition, then there is no secondary.  Maybe that is why it has been deferred?  

In other words, if you are seeking secondary sc, and the primary has not yet been SC, then maybe they will adjuticate the primary first, then the secondary.  It cant be the other way around.  You have to have a primary before any secondary.  

Broncovet, 

Thanks for the prompt reply. I initially claimed testicular condition, left.  Once service connected, it appeared on my rated disabilities as a benign growth.  Should I claim the voiding dysfunction ("urinary frequency") as a secondary or would it be a request for increase under this pretense, or alternatively file a NOD based upon missing connection once I receive my award letter/BBE?

As for the secondary SC, perhaps I'm misreading your reply but I was definitely awarded my left knee pain claim that I filed as a secondary to "leg condition" (was the option when filing the claim using eBenefits). Are you saying that even though they somehow rated the secondary, they'll revisit it again after rating the first? My only other hypothesis is that it somehow got promoted to a primary claim based on my C&P as it's listed as a completely different contention ("left knee patellofemoral pain syndrome").

Thanks again for the reply.

Edited by Mrpdbo

• HadIt.com Elder

Excuse, me but does anyone have the Regulations Requirements for the 

''Voiding Dysfunction'' and what exactly does this mean and pertain to??

• HadIt.com Elder

Buck, voiding technically is defined as emptying the bladde. But if you look at the dbq 21-0960j2 section 3b thru 3e it is talking about the whole thing; storage of urine, peeing, stop peeing, leakage or dribbling, etc. It is better defined at https://urology.ucsf.edu/patient-care/adult-non-cancer/endourology-nephrolithiasis/male-voiding-dysfunction So, as typical with just about any C&P, the definition defined by the VA is going to be a moving target, especially as it relates to the examiner.

1 hour ago, Buck52 said:

Excuse, me but does anyone have the Regulations Requirements for the 

''Voiding Dysfunction'' and what exactly does this mean and pertain to??

Hey Buck,

Here is the formal eCFR:

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&rgn=div5&view=text&node=38:1.0.1.1.5&idno=38#se38.1.4_1115a

In the section below that link (diagnosis), there are several categories for situations and how to rate them accordingly. Mine should fall under "7529   Benign neoplasms of the genitourinary system" which states to rate it as one of the several scenarios in the link I provided.

I'll call my DAV rep today and see if he can shed some light on the rating code used for my exam.

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks Guys

I may have Voiding dysfunction

My PCP prescribes me PEE PADS from dribble from a swollen prostate, but its benign so I don't think I could file a claim.

However my PCP is one of these type Dr that if you ask about your condition   the first thing is they think your going to be filing a claim  and not very helpful after that..I been using these Pee Pads For over 5 years now.

I have rinnutius  and gerd. and arthritics in my both knees  and pernicious anemia  (low -B-12)..which I never had in the military  these came up after  military and I am also Diagnose for Mild to moderate Sleep Apnea (I use a VA Prescribe C-PAP but got this S.A. because of my PTSD Medications....My VA MH Phyistrist had me do a sleep study because I was not sleeping good and always tired during the day  as my spouse would wake me up during the night from me not breathing  I mention this to my VA MH DR and   hench why I need a C-PAP.