VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea Secondary to PTSD

Rate this question

Jonathan AF

Question

I recently did a home study from the VA, and my results are as follows (see attached):

Min SpO2: 78.0%

Total RDI: 50.2

Findings: Snoring & Obstructive apneas/hypoapneas

Impression: OSA (G47.33) ("severe" is handwritten next to this).

They set me up with a CPAP machine to wear each night.

I am currently 30% rated for PTSD.  Based on this, can anyone tell what my rating would be filing sleep apnea as secondary to PTSD?

Edited by Jonathan AF
add attachment

• Answers 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Quote from Jonathan AF

''From what I've read, a Supplemental Claim would be more applicable, since I have "new evidence''

Yes this is the correct lane to choose

if you choose the HLR you can't submit any new or relevant evidence.

Update.  The "Request for Higher Level Review"  was filed on 3/29/2021.  On 6/10/2021, the status changed to "closed".  When I checked on 6/11/2021, it was changed to the following:

0?ui=2&ik=567636b980&attid=0.3&permmsgid=msg-a:r-5899509018782639118&th=17a000ffbd655852&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ9HHjJdgNYNQIz7J7Udcx2mlUmP6zYb8wXWehY5IR4EsGUi9DI-i1aFAS5b8O4-0BEw8kSHa29v-pJc16jrbBJFzcPyWk5ILrS7c36_4GyUG9fyk3DYwB3qCD8&disp=emb&realattid=17a000feaa56c86d42b2

I called the VA to see what was actually happening, and they said they mailed me a decision letter on 6/10, but could not give me any other details.  Any thoughts on whether this is a good sign?  I feel like it is.

• HadIt.com Elder

Not sure you will get an increase on your PTSD but if they approve you for sleep apnea  secondary to your PTSD its more than likely a 50% rating for the Sleep Ap,  so they will combined your ratings  and give you a  rating of what these 2 combined to in VA math   likely a 70% rating  depends on your sleep apnea/or increase on your PTSD?

On 6/14/2021 at 10:33 AM, Buck52 said:

Not sure you will get an increase on your PTSD but if they approve you for sleep apnea  secondary to your PTSD its more than likely a 50% rating for the Sleep Ap,  so they will combined your ratings  and give you a  rating of what these 2 combined to in VA math   likely a 70% rating  depends on your sleep apnea/or increase on your PTSD?

Now they want me to do an online C&P to link obesity to PTSD.  Lawyer said since my ptsd & depression caused me to be an alcoholic (12+beers a night, every night), then I need to bring that up.  That amount of alcohol surely caused me to gain a lot of weight.  I do not drink anymore, but I do still have sleep apnea, requiring a nightly CPAP machine.

Scheduled for the 29th.  Will update.

image.thumb.png.4bf5f290660c2407a0014aea6c24608f.png

image.thumb.png.3b60cb631200c63d8eee0a82ea84cd8c.png

Edited by JonathanAD

Ok, so the C&P was 9 minutes.  The guy was friendly, but did not even once ask anything about obesity.  He just asked if I had a hard time sleeping and if i had a cpap machine and if the va kept the cpap in working order for me.  That's about it.  I wonder WTF....who knows...Anyway, back to the waiting game.

• HadIt.com Elder

JonathanAD BMI is used to determine obesity.You were weighed and your height are of record withy the VA. So BMI is simply read off a chart; if you are x tall, your BMI is Y. They don't have to ask any questions about whether or not you are obese; they have the chart.