VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claim time frame

Rate this question

Arcticguy907

Question

Good afternoon all,

I am a little confused after talking to a VA rep. on the phone.

So,I just signed out on terminal leave and will be officially retired after 21yrs in the Army. I did a BBA claim,I think that's what it's called through my VSO and had all my CP exams done by QTC in May. I called the VA to make sure they received my DD214 and as we were talking the later said that all my C&P exam DBQs are in my file and so is my DD214, but she also said that they wont even start my claim until 01Sept..which is the day iam as I said be retired and also reflected on my DD214. So my question is, why would they sit on my claims until then if they have everything else they need? My VSO initially told me that it should be done by mid August,give or take. He is on leave now until 15Jul,so I cant ask him...any input battles?

Thank you GB, I certainly will make this work. I start my new job on 01August and will have insurance with them as well. I just dont see the point of a BBA claim when they brief us to start 180 days out from your retirement date if the VA does not start working on it until your retirement date. This is all very confusing to me.

VR 

Michael 

I do not feel the VA is wrong.

On your retirement date you officially become a veteran.

Thank You for those LONG years of service!

I suggest you carefully read over the CRDP CRSC here at hadit. I assume you have been to a briefing on these benefits- 

there are are more links and discussion if you search here for CRDP and CRSC.

The link above contains a link to  Military.com CRSC /CRDP info- 

https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/payment.html 

There is a lot here on these benefits, but Mil,com has to best explanation.

CRDP is automatic but CRSC has to be applied for.

Make sure you leave the Mil with a copy of your Service medical records, and Personnel records too, and make sure you get some contact info for any other inservice men or women in your unit- if you ever need a Buddy Statement.

Thank you for your input, by no means am I implying that the VA is wrong. However, I am on several medications including four for PTSD, to control my blood pressure and so forth. I did perceive a 90 day supply for some,but not all as they are controlled and can only be given in 30 day increments. How am I suppose to get my medication if none of my conditions are recognized by the VA before September? I do have all my records and I have no doubt all of my claims will be service connected. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Artic, this is a round-about solution on your meds cost. You can probably get financial assistance from one of several Veterans organizations for medical assistance, ex. VFW< American Legion, AMVETS, etc. I also would expect you might get some help if you talked to your VA hospital patient advocate-they should be able to help or offer suggestions.

• HadIt.com Elder

All I can say is Welcome to the VA world. It wouldn't be as much fun it they did things in a logical manner. Keep educating yourself, read here and other sources, and ask questions. We will try to offer help. Remember one thing DON'T Give up. Or as my friend always says "don't let the b.....ds win."

9 hours ago, Arcticguy907 said:

How am I suppose to get my medication if none of my conditions are recognized by the VA before September?

this sounds like you are mixing up a couple things.

VA is divided into three groups VAMC, VBA and VA-Administration.

none of them talk to each other on a regular basis. you will get used to this.

For your medications, When you leave the base on your last day, go to the nearest VAMC and say "Hi I am a Veteran as of Today, I have medications I need. Please let me see a Doctor. " Depending on the VAMC you may have to impress upon them the emergency nature of your medication needs to get in to see a doctor ASAP.

VAMC has NOTHING to do with VA Benefits Claims in any way that matters to you at this moment.

When you check into the VAMC, bring a copy of your medical files, only a COPY. NEVER give the VA original files, they lose stuff all the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The VAMC will ORDER your medical treatment records after you register with that VAMC, don't sweat that it is normal. Having the copy will show your new Doctor immediately what drugs you are on and why!

You may have to pay a co-pay or two until you get a Service Connected Rating. You will get those back after jumping through some hoops. Since you are Post 9/11 you should not have to make those co-pays but be prepared. The VA frequently ignores it's own rules.

As Berta said, at this moment you are NOT a veteran. You won't be one until the day you retire. It is a legal thing. The VA Benefits people cannot process your claims until you are a veteran. Think about it, you might just re-up....maybe not you, but others might so you get lumped with everyone else.

If push comes to shove and they cannot get you to see a doctor until after your meds will run out, go to the VAMC ER a couple days in advance of being out of those meds. Tell them the problem, you will get to see a Doctor (likely an Intern or Nurse Practitioner, but who knows on any given day) and they can prescribe some amount of your necessary medications to tide you over.

'Welcome to the Vet-World and the land of the VA Fuster-Cluck. If you ever thought the military had some messed up rules and regulations, hang on to your hat. This is Mister Toads Wild Ride.