VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need some help with VA math

Rate this question

ShrekTheTank

Question

• Lead Moderator

Just got off the phone with the VFW rep at the regional office and said my Dercums is now at 60% but said I am not at 100% I have done 3 calculators now and I don't understand

tension headaches 30% Service Connected   12/10/2018
irritable bowel syndrome (to include claimed fecal incontinence, bowel condition, gastrointestinal problems, chronic hypertrophic gastritis) 30% Service Connected   03/06/2015
n        

multiple scars that are tender or unstable such as status post inguinal hernia scars; disfigurement from lipomatosis dolorosa; and upper extremity lipoma scars (previously 7805) 30% Service Connected   12/02/2013

left chest lateral posttraumatic 8th rib, episodic intercostal myalgia (claimed as left rib pain) 0% Service Connected

Predischarge Exam

12/02/2013
post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) (to include claimed cold sweats) 30% Service Connected

PTSD - Combat

02/12/2014

tinnitus 10% Service Connected   02/12/2014
left knee strain (previously rated as left knee retropatellar pain syndrome) 10% Service Connected

Predischarge Exam

12/02/2013
Dercum disease (lipomatosis dolorosa) 10% Service Connected   12/04/2014

status post right inguinal hernia repair (claimed as pain and numbness, status post right inguinal hernia repair) 0% Service Connected

Predischarge Exam

10/02/2004
hypertension 0% Service Connected

Predischarge Exam

10/02/2004
scars, status post lipoma excision, left arm 0% Service Connected

Predischarge Exam

10/02/2004
scars, status post lipoma excisions, right arm 0% Service Connected

Predischarge Exam

10/02/2004
left knee retropatellar pain syndrome 0% Service Connected

Predischarge Exam

06/01/2010

scar with minimal hypoesthesia, status post right inguinal hernia repair 0% Service Connected

Predischarge Exam

10/02/2004

left chest lateral posttraumatic 8th rib, episodic intercostal myalgia (claimed as left rib pain) 0% Service Connected

Predischarge Exam

10/02/2004

fibromyalgia 40% Service Connected   01/05/2016

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I calculated the ratings manually by using the combined rating table on the VA web site. Unless I am not following the directions correctly, it looks like you should be at 100%

No bilaterals found so skipped that part.

Next, I arranged your ratings from highest to lowest, discarding all the 0%'s, and started calculating:

60% dercum
40% fibromyalgia
30% headaches
30% IBS
30% PTSD
30% scars
10% tinnitus
10% left knee

You start by using the first two highest ratings together in the leftmost column and across the top and look for where they intersect to get the combined value:
1. 60% dercum + 40% fibro = 76% combined

Next, you find the combined value in the leftmost column and the next lower % across the top and look for where they intersect to get the next combined value. Rinse and repeat with each remaining lower % rating.
2. 76% combined + 30% headaches = 83% combined
3. 83% combined + 30% IBS = 88% combined
4. 88% combined + 30% PTSD = 92% combined
5. 92% combined + 30% scars = 94% combined
6. 94% combined + 10% tinnitus = 95% combined, which rounds up to 100%

It looks like you have an extra 10% rating (left knee) which should not affect the calculation.

Call them up and walk through the table with them. The only possible ways you could not be 100% is if they failed to calculate it correctly or your percentages are not correct. Looks like you copied/pasted directly from ebenefits, so I don't believe that is an issue.

I hope this helps. I hope it is correct. Keep in mind I had a heart attack recently and my head is still not back to normal.

• HadIt.com Elder

I figured in your 90% for what your rated for now.   with the

with the 3 =30% and the 4= 10% its actually 77.495  rounded off at 80%  so they must be giving you another 20 % to become 90% rated?

I know when I was 90% I had to get at least 50% on another  s.c. condition to reach the 100%...I got 70% on a seperate s.c. condition   but Iam still considered to be 100%   with 2 SMC Awards.  they say in e benefits I have a 100% final degree rating

• Lead Moderator
2 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

I figured in your 90% for what your rated for now.   with the

with the 3 =30% and the 4= 10% its actually 77.495  rounded off at 80%  so they must be giving you another 20 % to become 90% rated?

I know when I was 90% I had to get at least 50% on another  s.c. condition to reach the 100%...I got 70% on a seperate s.c. condition   but Iam still considered to be 100%   with 2 SMC Awards.  they say in e benefits I have a 100% final degree rating

it is 1=40% and 4=30% and 3=10% and they said unofficially the one ten is going to 60%.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Shrek  I never figure in your fibromyalgia  40% for  so you should reach the 100% in my opinion.  I don't think this would be pyramiding ?

Edited by Buck52