Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New conditions caused by service related conditions

Rate this question

nancygail

Question

Hello!

My daughter and I are working hard on my husband's disability to get it increased as his condition has deteriorated to a point he cannot function normally.  As we're getting different information depending on who we speak to I wondered if I could get some clarification.

He has several conditions that manifested themselves years after his original Medical discharge. A major one being sleep apnea so severe his doctor felt he could have a heart attack anytime. 

For those wanting specifics my husband is 50% service disabled  and was given a medical discharge for conversion disorder in 1988.  he is  also currently being treated for PTSD which is tied to his conversion disorder. His sleep apnea is caused by PTSD symptoms.

Could I get some advice on how we  can get sleep apnea attached to his disability? 

Thank you so much,

Nancy

1 hour ago, nancygail said:

We are definitely doing the IU.    What is really frustrating is we checked on SSDI. Though he has enough credits overall from earlier years of work... or whatever they are called... as his condition worsened he's been unable to work hardly at all for most of the last decade. To qualify for SSDI a certain number of his credits has to be in the last 10 years. So basically his disability kept him from working and because he could not work he can't get SSDI. 

If you checked on SSIDI and he does not have the required credits he can apply for SSI, social security insurance.  It is most used by vets with few points.  It does not pay as well as SSIDI but it is about a thousand a month I believe.

• HadIt.com Elder

Good point by Vetquest  I had thought your hubby was on SSDI?

But I certainly understand about the work credits not having enough work credits SSA will deny every time. SSA WILL NOT Budge nor offer any other information like Vetquest pointed out.

SO GO FILE FOR THE S.S. Insurance ASAP.

File for the IU But first you need to get him sign up for the VA Voc Rehab program and they can see if he can do any type work  or train him to do special type work jobs   but if they can't due to his Service Connected Disability's   the counselor will or if requested  write a letter  to say

something like this  ''due to this veterans S.C. Disabilities  it is not feasible to retrain this veteran at this time;;

That along with a qualified Dr stating he can't do any type work due to his S.C. Disability t& a statement from you detailing his disabilitys and why he has not worked in years  ect,,,ect,,,  you know him better than anyone  so your  detailed statement they should take in consideration.

That should be enough evidence to prevail a claim for IU & Possibly  P&T  Which has more benefits  especially for the spouse  to go back to school  and Champva Insurance  and commissary Privileges  and DOD I.D. Cards ect,,,ect,,, also if he is100% scheduler  or TDIU then if you guys own your home or paying for it    he qualifies for total property tax exemption.  that is a big benefit.

17 hours ago, vetquest said:

If you checked on SSIDI and he does not have the required credits he can apply for SSI, social security insurance.  It is most used by vets with few points.  It does not pay as well as SSIDI but it is about a thousand a month I believe.

SSI is income dependent and only around $700 and they  count ALL household income against that so most veterans will receive very little if anything at all if they are receiving VA compensation if awarded SSI, especially if they also have a spouse who is earning. 

"The income limit for the SSI program is based on the federal benefit rate (FBR). The federal benefit rate represents both the SSI income limit and the maximum federal monthly SSI payment. In 2019, the FBR is $771 per month for individuals and $1,157 for couples. (The FBR increases annually if there is a Social Security cost-of-living adjustment.)

To qualify for SSI, your countable monthly income cannot exceed the FBR. However, the SSA counts only some of your income when it determines whether your income is over the income limit. (This is called the earned income exclusion. Also, the SSA ignores some types of income altogether; see our article on what income counts toward the SSI limit.) For instance, if you are earning money from work, less than half of your monthly earnings are counted toward the income limit, so you can make more than $771 per month."

Here is  a good site that explains SSI https://www.disabilitysecrets.com/resources/social-security-disability/supplemental-security-income-ssi/income-limits-eligibility.htm