Ask Your VA Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Why A C&p Exam At This Stage Of The Game?

Rate this question

LarryJ

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Yesterday I receive from the Dallas VAMC a notification of a C&P exam being scheduled for me.

Part of it states:

"Due to the complexity of the Exam(s) be prepared to stay most of the day."

First of all, it's been THREE and 1/2 years since my claim was filed.

I opted to go the BVA route. The BVA remands my claim to the AMC, etc.

In the BVA Remand it states "Have a VA physician review the veteran's claims file, including the service medical records (which are in a manila envelope) and provide an opinion at the the following question: Was the left ankle condition aggravated beyond the natural progress during the veteran's period of service?"

Now, I don't mind having a VA doc look at my ankle. Heck, I've got a whole bunch of x-rays that I can take with me to the C&P to help him out. Wish I coulda gotten them to take a look at my ankle 40 freakin years ago when they sent me home on crutches with a broker fibula. Wish they'd C&P'd me when I filed my original claim in the 70's. Wish they'd C&P'd me when I filed again three and a half years ago. Nope, don't mind that at all.

But, something smells fishy in Denmark.

Why, all of a sudden, do they want a C&P? They have all the documentation from two treating physicians. They have all the documentation from my Social Security claims file and the Disability Determination Service. They have 4 buddy statements. They have all my records from Balboa Nave Hospital..........they got all kindsa sh*t. Are they just hoping, this late in the game, to find some VA quack that's gonna tell them that all this documentation and all my problems are just a fig newton of my overactive imagination?

And WHY is it gonna take ALL DAY to look at my ankle? "Complexity of the examS" How many exams does it take to look at an ankle, and why would any orthopedic surgeon find looking at an ankle "a complex exam"?

Not to mention that the remand didn't say nuttin about no C&P.

WHASSSSUP?

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
Yesterday I receive from the Dallas VAMC a notification of a C&P exam being scheduled for me.

Part of it states:

"Due to the complexity of the Exam(s) be prepared to stay most of the day."

First of all, it's been THREE and 1/2 years since my claim was filed.

I opted to go the BVA route. The BVA remands my claim to the AMC, etc.

In the BVA Remand it states "Have a VA physician review the veteran's claims file, including the service medical records (which are in a manila envelope) and provide an opinion at the the following question: Was the left ankle condition aggravated beyond the natural progress during the veteran's period of service?"

Now, I don't mind having a VA doc look at my ankle. Heck, I've got a whole bunch of x-rays that I can take with me to the C&P to help him out. Wish I coulda gotten them to take a look at my ankle 40 freakin years ago when they sent me home on crutches with a broker fibula. Wish they'd C&P'd me when I filed my original claim in the 70's. Wish they'd C&P'd me when I filed again three and a half years ago. Nope, don't mind that at all.

But, something smells fishy in Denmark.

Why, all of a sudden, do they want a C&P? They have all the documentation from two treating physicians. They have all the documentation from my Social Security claims file and the Disability Determination Service. They have 4 buddy statements. They have all my records from Balboa Nave Hospital..........they got all kindsa sh*t. Are they just hoping, this late in the game, to find some VA quack that's gonna tell them that all this documentation and all my problems are just a fig newton of my overactive imagination?

And WHY is it gonna take ALL DAY to look at my ankle? "Complexity of the examS" How many exams does it take to look at an ankle, and why would any orthopedic surgeon find looking at an ankle "a complex exam"?

Not to mention that the remand didn't say nuttin about no C&P.

WHASSSSUP?

Larry,

Do I trust them, the answer is NO! I am kind of like you. Why not one sooner and the remand doesn't state to give you one. Why all day. They probably don't know either

My remand stated to send my records back to the two psychaitrist to reconcile their differences. The AMC wasted their time, as no doctor is going to change their minds.

Sounds like you have been fighting this thing for about as long as I have my claim. I started in 1978 and still going to it.

Ask to speak to a Supervior at the AMC and ask her what is going on. Her name is Ms Byrd.

Always,

Joephine

Larry

I just had 3 C&P at the Dallas VA hosiptal. One was for hearing. It took one hour I reported in 7:30 AM. The next week I had two one at 10:30 AM and one at 11:30 AM. I got in at 10:30 AM and was out by 11:30 AM. Both was done at the same time. All of my letters for the C&P said to be prepared to spend all day. I believe it is standard wording.

Gunny

• HadIt.com Elder

if you don't show up they can automatically deny it, based on failure to show up, the rules are in their favor on that issue....

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

• HadIt.com Elder

Well you have to go to a C&P if scheduled. Don;t forget to get your travel pay. I had 2 C&P the first time. One was professional and the other was done by a hack.

Go to the C&P's and take your evidence with you. In most cases they will have your Medical Records in the "C" File which they are supposed to review.

Be very careful how you dress and they also look at how you handle yourself. In short if you are having problems or pain be sure to tell them.

Take your wife or a trusted friend to be with you. Never be on your own at the VA if you can help it.

Good Luck and I had 4 C&P's at Dallas VA. It can also be a good thing because they usually make a decision within a couple of months after you have the C&P's. I have said this before but I don't know a single case where a Veteran won a claim without a C&P. So you can at least think that you are getting close.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder

Oh, I'm gonna show up for the exam. I did NOT go through all this BS just to have it kicked out due to the fact that I didn't show up for the exam. I just keep wanting to know WHAT they are planning on examining! And WHY? I don't mind the fact that I'm FINALLY getting a real, honest-to-goodness VA physician/nurse/lab tech/orderly/whatever to actually acknowledge that I exist. No. I don't mind that.

I just can't get over the feeling that THEY are "doctor shopping", or something. I haven't trusted the governmint, ever since they told me that Lee Harvey ACTUALLY was the only dude in Dallas...................................but, that's fodder for another conversation, and not here, either.

Oh well. What tha hell. The saga of my Victory just got another chapter added to it.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Chief Joseph

• HadIt.com Elder

Pete, thanks for the good words, I was getting a little upset. But, to hear you say that I might be getting close...........that helps me feel better.

Chief Joseph