Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Renouncing US citizenship, Still eligible for veteran compensation?

Rate this question

von

Question

Hello, im getting married to a Jamaican woman. I do not plan to come back to the united states due to family issues. If i renounce my US citizenship, will i still be eligible for veteran compensation? Thank everyone for their feedback and time. 

I agree you should seek legal advice... but I do not agree that you would lose your military retirement , veterans benefits or social security.  These are all earned benefits, and we have non- citizens  who serve in  the military and retire  from the military, or are collecting social security and va benefits...many non citizens never become citizens....  I will say if you give up your citizenship that is a real drastic move, and perhaps the dumbest move any one could make. Anyway we could all be wrong so go check with a lawyer.

Edited by Richard1954

I am not a lawyer so take my opinions with a grain of salt...

If I had listened to the nay sayers, I would never have acheived any ratings after I was awarded TDIU in 1999. Now I have not one but two 100% ratings, a TDIU  and 4 SMC awards !  I say JUST GO For It

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” -Albert Einstein.

What value do you see in giving up your U.S. Citizenship?

Unless you have some serious income that you don't want to pay U.S. taxes on, it is hard to picture the reasoning for just giving up citizenship.

You can be an ex-pat and still be a U.S. citizen. You just live in the other country, and as others point out in some cases you can get dual citizenship.

If an individual has become disillusioned with the state of U.S. politics, while understandable, it is not a reason to cut off your nose to spite your face.

also consider this, and no insult meant by it, but relationships and marriages don't always last. Geographic and cultural upheavals can add additional stress to even the most solid relationships. So consider what happens if you do make this big change and then your reasons for giving up your U.S. Citizenship changes? what will you do then?

I am not telling you what to do, but consider all the possible angles. As others have said, check with an immigration lawyer. Consider what you will be giving up by making that extreme a choice.

and to directly answer you question. No! you will no longer be eligible for your VA compensation, Military retirement, Social Security, Medicare/Medicade, and even property you own might become suspect and attachable under certain circumstances.

What Buck52 said.

I can't imagine though, that you could renounce your citizenship and expect to get the benefits of having served the nation for whom you swore to defend all enemies from. Doesn't make sense.

BOHICA

@Hamslice he wants to become a citizen of Jamaica not Japan. I agree about the best country being the US!!!!

I am not an attorney or an a credited VA rep. These are my personal opinions and experiences, always remember what worked for me may not work for you.

You as the veteran are your own best advocate and no one knows your disabilities better than you. It is highly recommended that you as the veteran research and verify that any opinion given meets your specific situation.

1 minute ago, paulstrgn said:

@Hamslice he wants to become a citizen of Jamaica not Japan. I agree about the best country being the US!!!!

Way too early for me to be typing on here...

LOL,

Hamslice

“There is no hook my friend. There's only what we do.”  Doc Holiday