VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is eBenefits supposed to update after HLR?

Rate this question

ed33

Question

Hi everyone,

My Higher Level Review was completed last week. When my initial claim was completed ebenefits updated my "disabilities" section long before I got my decision letter. Does anyone know if the same is true for the HLR? Basically if the decision was reversed should it be already showing in eBenefits? Because it doesn't even show anything about my appeal anywhere on ebenefits.

Thanks

Edited by ed33

4 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

Definitely worth the wait! I had claims from 2010 that were denied on the initial claim and after a de novo review by the DRO. My other claims were granted which ultimately got me to 100% but I kept the denied claims going through the appeals process. It sat at BVA for about 3 years and was remanded back to the original C&P examiner because the judge was skeptical of the denials. I finally got those claims granted using a supplemental claim in February 2020 but the effective dates were wrong. I filed an HLR in March 2020 to have the effective dates corrected and they were corrected last month. I got backpay just short of $30K.  

Deedub... what did your decision say on VA.gov??  MY HLR I submitted April 16th closed on September 3rd. "VA has a made a new decision"... 

But I have had crickets on everything... my letter/rating hasnt been updated for an increase on ebennies or VA.gov.  

My VSO doesnt see anything either (mainly because I think) my benefits letter still says 90% at no change. 

11 days and no letter either. Let me know. Thanks

1 minute ago, DLRogers said:

Deedub... what did your decision say on VA.gov??  MY HLR I submitted April 16th closed on September 3rd. "VA has a made a new decision"... 

But I have had crickets on everything... my letter/rating hasnt been updated for an increase on ebennies or VA.gov.  

My VSO doesnt see anything either (mainly because I think) my benefits letter still says 90% at no change. 

11 days and no letter either. Let me know. Thanks

HLRs don't give much information on va.gov. Mine said, "VA mad a new decision." I had asked for an informal conference and when the DRO called me she told me she agreed that the effective dates were incorrect and that she was going to correct them. It took about a week before showing up on eBenefits and then after a couple more days I got the deposit.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Deedub I am curious on what happened to you. Did this "informal conference" take place recently, and how did you request it? I didn't think they did informal conferences under the AMA? I had a "VA mad a recent decision ", but I couldn't get a straight answer out of them until I got the decision letter. (They made a mistake and had to further develop my evidence.)

On 8/20/2019 at 7:19 AM, ed33 said:

Hi everyone,

My Higher Level Review was completed last week. When my initial claim was completed ebenefits updated my "disabilities" section long before I got my decision letter. Does anyone know if the same is true for the HLR? Basically if the decision was reversed should it be already showing in eBenefits? Because it doesn't even show anything about my appeal anywhere on ebenefits.

Thanks

HLRs don’t give any info on va.gov other than to say a decision has been made. If things are granted and/or effective dates change it will update the disabilities section on eBenefits just like any other claim. I saw the changes on mine well before I got the letter in the mail. 

7 minutes ago, GBArmy said:

Deedub I am curious on what happened to you. Did this "informal conference" take place recently, and how did you request it? I didn't think they did informal conferences under the AMA? I had a "VA mad a recent decision ", but I couldn't get a straight answer out of them until I got the decision letter. (They made a mistake and had to further develop my evidence.)

On the HLR form there’s a block that you check and put in your phone number if you want an informal conference. I sent my HLR form in near the end of March and had my informal conference with the DRO on August 11. It was a quick call and she agreed that my effective dates were wrong. It took about a week for eBenefits to update with the changes. 

• HadIt.com Elder

OK, now know what you mean. I usually don't request a an informal hearing. I heard from a couple of VA sources that I trust that it probably isn't worth it for most claims. Since it is a HLR, you can't submit any NEW evidence; all your evidence is already submitted. When you submit a HLR you are asking a "more qualified senior rater" to re-look at the evidence again. So if you had a good case and the evidence was complete, what do you have to gain by telling the new rater what is in the evidence? I was told by one that he has yet to get verbal argument that made a difference in the decision process. Everything is there. But it does delay the process, because they have to schedule a phone call with you so there is some queue time there. This is MHO; it may be important for some to do, but I doubt if I will ever use that option myself.