VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Meniere's Syndrome

Rate this question

GBArmy

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I'm scheduled for some testing which I believe will include testing for Meniere's Syndrome (MS). I read many entries here and I am not sure if Tinnitus is secondary to MS, or the other way around. I believe that Berta said MS  can be secondary to Tinnitus. I am already s-c for tinnitus. I am curious if anyone has had experience with the exam and what is done. My rack of testing is scheduled for 4 hours; so I don't have any idea how long the MD part might take. Any input on what goes on would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, GBArmy said:

FlyboyLeRoy

Technically, Meneire's doesn't always require the drunk gate; per DC 6205

Hearing impairment with vertigo less than once a month, with or
without tinnitus....................................................................................................... 30

I knew that but I believe at that point it’s considered a vestibular disorder and is basically rated as Ménière’s, minus the “drunk walk” supplemented for vertigo 

16 hours ago, GeekySquid said:

i was referring to max rating...

You don’t need the drunk walk for max rating either.  Tinnitus, hearing loss, and vertigo on an occurance of more than 4 Times a month can get you 100% under a peripheral vestibular disorder or endolymphatic hydrops.   

• HadIt.com Elder

GB Army

After all your testing see what the Dr

opinion is?

Now to get tinnitus which is a 10% rating.

With tinnitus there actually not a test for that  its a subjective condition ..it can be related to a lot of other conditions  but with the VA it don't matter what condition that is...

so what you need to do is tell the Audiologist that you have this ringing buzzing, humming, sounds in your head  and its constant (what ever yours sounds like) it never goes away  and worse a lot worse at bed time .

This is known as ''tinnitus''   like I said they can't test you for tinnitus,  the Veteran him self has to mention these sounds in his head....we can't say its tinnitus Because  thats for the Dr's to say....but if you do this  9x 's out of 10 you will get a diagnose for tinnitus and its rated for both ears at 10% only.  Usually secondary to hearing loss but it can be related to other conditions as well.

They truly don't know what causes Tinnitus  (jmo)

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA Dr are reluctant to help us with tinnitus  or they never mention it to us....>.so we need to let them know about these sounds in our heads that flat drives us batty.

6 hours ago, FlyboyLeRoy said:

You don’t need the drunk walk for max rating either.  Tinnitus, hearing loss, and vertigo on an occurance of more than 4 Times a month can get you 100% under a peripheral vestibular disorder or endolymphatic hydrops.   

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/4.87

6205 Meniere's syndrome (endolymphatic hydrops):  

Hearing impairment with attacks of vertigo and cerebellar gait occurring more than once weekly, with or without tinnitus     100

Hearing impairment with attacks of vertigo and cerebellar gait occurring from one to four times a month, with or without tinnitus     60

Hearing impairment with vertigo less than once a month, with or without tinnitus     30

Note: Evaluate Meniere's syndrome either under these criteria or by separately evaluating vertigo (as a peripheral vestibular disorder), hearing impairment, and tinnitus, whichever method results in a higher overall evaluation. But do not combine an evaluation for hearing impairment, tinnitus, or vertigo with an evaluation under diagnostic code 6205.