Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&P Exam at the VA

Rate this question

paulstrgn

Question

I have been scheduled for a C&P exam with the VA. I have never had a C&P with the VA itself. My question is what should I expect?

I am concerned that they will be more arbitrary than seeing QTC or other contractor.

What should I expect? It is a re-exam for my back.

I am not an attorney or an a credited VA rep. These are my personal opinions and experiences, always remember what worked for me may not work for you.

You as the veteran are your own best advocate and no one knows your disabilities better than you. It is highly recommended that you as the veteran research and verify that any opinion given meets your specific situation.

59 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

check the rating criteria for what it is your having the C& P For

Thank Buck I will. As everyone does I am hoping for an increase at least till 40% but we will see what the C&P determines. I wish I knew of a good doctor who would be willing to write an IMO for my back but they can be hard to find. I want a local doctor so that they can do an accurate measurement for ROM. I know that is one part of the criteria. I am hoping I can show the VA when they do the C&P how I am able to bend and do less because of my back. I wish they took pain into consideration which I know they don't, as I have been told pain is not a disability. I say that is a bunch of BS for pain does impact our quality of life. I could do a hell of a lot more if it was not for this pain!!!

I am not an attorney or an a credited VA rep. These are my personal opinions and experiences, always remember what worked for me may not work for you.

You as the veteran are your own best advocate and no one knows your disabilities better than you. It is highly recommended that you as the veteran research and verify that any opinion given meets your specific situation.

Had my C&P at the VA in Hampton, Virginia. Not sure how I feel about it, she was telling me that I should not have been rated for some nerve issues because she does not see evidence of radiculopathy and that I should not have been rated for four I have been rated. She also asked the question if you lose these ratings will it drop you below 100%, I said yes. She also made a statement that once a person gets to 100% they should stop so the VA does not lower them. This exam was very painful, she moved me beyond where the pain started, she said they are now required too. I was in so much pain when all the exam was finished, it is still hurting me now that I am home.

Needless to say I do not have a good feeling about this exam, I now need to wait until I can download the C&P results.

Question where do I find the results for the C&P once it is uploaded into the system?

My healthy vet blue button

Set date range and down load everything. You want to see any notes taken as well as c&p

Sounds lije u may have a fightnon your hands. Get ready to get an imo

Also challenge her assertions about u should not have been rated for stuff.

Challenge her credentials for future fights

Will it be called a C&P or something else in the system?

I will, she said I need an EMG to determine the nerve issues but I just read an article on on Radiculopathy says you can also use an MRI. Depending on the results I will be ready to fight an get an IMO.

I will also look at her credentials, she did say they did not want a medical opinion so I am not sure if that is good or bad.

• HadIt.com Elder
2 hours ago, paulstrgn said:

This exam was very painful, she moved me beyond where the pain started, she said they are now required too. I was in so much pain when all the exam was finished, it is still hurting me now that I am home.

Paul: Check her credentials ASAP. If it looks like she is not qualified, call the scheduler for C&P's and tell him you were dissatisfied with the exam and the examiner and you request another one. Tell him what she said to you that they were required to go past your pain threshold, even when she was told it hurts. Tell him that you will bet a dollar to donuts that the VAHC director probably would like to know what she said and what she did. I've seen this before, like many of us. The examiner does this good cop, bad cop thing. Tells you you are going to fail the exam and why. Then implies that they aren't going to call it out. Guess what, if it is in her directions, she is supposed to call it out in her report. So, your position is this, say nothing, and it won't be re-scheduled. If you wait a little while, you won't be able to request a re-exam  anyway. You get a bad report and now you have to appeal. I just don't trust them. Why tell you you shouldn't pursue claims once you get to 100%? That's bs; you submit claims no matter what your combined ratings is if you feel you are justified. Don't like it at all. On top of that, if they send you a notice, you can appeal the reduction anyway. And your request would be part of the evidence, along with her comments. There is no reason she should have had that conversation with you.IMO

GB I googled her name and she is a NP. I agree about informing the right people about the issue, I am just not sure who I want to send it to yet. 

I now need to research if the requirements have changed about pushing the vets beyond hurting point.