VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Writing a book on TDIU

Rate this question

bassrunnin

Question

I am currently 70%  TDIU P&T for PTSD (mst) and Bipolar. I was thinking about writing a book about my experiences in the military and was wondering if it could affect my TDIU if I were to make a little money off of it. I suppose I could make the book free, but could even writing a book affect my disability pay? There is no way that I could go back to work at this juncture of my life and I doubt that I ever could. And I don't know for sure if I could even write a book. And even if I could that anyone would want to read it. It's just an idea that I'm kicking around. Thanks.

Edited by bassrunnin
better title

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Go for it.  Alex Graham is 100 percent and he already wrote a book.  Tammy Duckworth is 100 percent, worked for the VA, then became a congress critter.  The late Senator John McCain also was 100 percent, and nobody is talking about reducing any of these people.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Bassrunnin 

Certainly writing a book would be good therapy for you. If you didn't charge any money, can't imagine how that would cause a problem as you wouldn't be getting any money. Go for it; even if you don't publish it. Everyone should have a purpose in life, right?

Again, go for it.  Read the defination of TDIU.  "Unable to maintain SUBSTANTIAL GAINFUL Employment" due to SC conditions.  

Is writing a book SGE?  Maybe, maybe not.  If it turns out your book IS SGE, that is, it makes "more than the poverty level" during the next 12 months, then you can worry about it, that is "if" the IRS and VA count "royalty income from books" as SGE.  

You have a win/win.

IF your book makes it big, then you may have to try to live off the royalty income from it.  

But, if your book earns less than the poverty level (about 12 k per year), then you keep tdiu.  

My guess is the later.  But, I sure hope you do make millions from the book.  No one will likely know how much the book will earn..until a year or so after its written (and published).  

I think you should worry about something more likely to happen.  Worry about winning the lottery, and losing your tdiu.  

I have known people before who INSIST on finding "something" to worry about, or else they make something "worryable".  

As for me, investing a bunch of my time worrying, seems like the worst investment I could ever make.  

One person said that worrying is like paying a debt that may never come due.  

Bronco is right, go for it.

The intersection between TDIU and the royalties of a book is non-existent.

Writing a book is not parallel to showing up at the office 9-5, 5 days a week.

It is a mostly solitary endeavor that can be stopped and started as your conditions dictate.

While writing is a career, writing a single book is not.

While doing a book tour is "work" it is not a steady form of employment.

residuals from a book are, for IU purposes, akin to getting a monthly or annual residual from an investment you made. It is a passive income not related to the work standard of the 'average person' which is the standard the VA must use to rate our disabilities and abilities for compensation.

write your little heart out buddy... hope it is a best seller 🙂

On 9/30/2019 at 8:37 PM, GeekySquid said:

...residuals from a book are, for IU purposes, akin to getting a monthly or annual residual from an investment you made. It is a passive income not related to the work standard of the 'average person' which is the standard the VA must use to rate our disabilities and abilities for compensation.

write your little heart out buddy... hope it is a best seller 🙂

BINGO!  Write the book!  🙂