VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Glaucoma

Rate this question

Ranmic

Question

Sorry to keep bugging you all with questions but as I think of them I post them.  I was noted as a "Glaucoma Suspect" according to my medical documentation while about mid way through my time serving, but a few years after I was discharged I was diagnosed with Glaucoma and have been being treated for about 5 years now.  Would that be a service connected (or could it be) condition?  I'm guessing no as no further attempts to treat me were made.

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, it is possible. Do you have copies of your str, especially those relating to your eyes and eye exams?

6 hours ago, GBArmy said:

Yes, it is possible. Do you have copies of your str, especially those relating to your eyes and eye exams?

yes, i have everything they documented. Cant say it was a ton but I do have it.  Plus I have a few years of my private doctors treatment records.

4 hours ago, Oceanbound said:

Like GB said, yes, now order your c-file.

sorry but what is a "c" file?

You can order your C-file through your rep.  It is the record of all treatment and decisions the VA has made in your claims and medical care.  

I would file for Glaucoma and provide copies of your STR's and civilian treatment records to the VA.  Copies, not originals.

• HadIt.com Elder

Ranmic As Oceanbound and Vetquest suggest, you want to order your c-file. It quite possibly has additional info notes, etc. on your medical condition that you don't even know existed. You can order it from different sources. Read up on Hadit and do it . Next, I would recommend getting registered on ebenefits; not hard to do and you can find out a lot of info from the VA once enrolled. You can do that today. Once enrolled, what I would do is file an intent to file on ebenefits; again, very simple to do. The reason is it will lock in your EED, early effective date, for filing your claim. Once you file your claim, it takes the place of the ITF. You could also do this thru a VSO, but you can do it yourself and it will allow you time to research for a VSO, a rep or whatever you decide to do. A lawyer can't charge for legal advise before you have submitted a claim and been decided, but they can offer free advise (in anticipation of getting your case on appeal.) Now,yYou need to research on your condition. Go to https://militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/search.php and look up the diagnostic code for Glaucoma; possibly 6012 or 6013. If one of these works, it says that a minimum rating of 10% applies, so it starts from there and goes up. Your continuation of medical care is very significant in showing service-connection for your disability, so your civilian doc's records and input will be important to you. If you can get him to fill-out a dbq for you, it will qualify how severe you disability is and also time of care. Use the latest version of https://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-0960N-2-ARE.pdf Now it is a long form, but again, it is very important to include in your claim. If you have to compensate him to do it, it is worth it. If he is reluctant, tell him that is a necessity if you can be compensated for it by the VA. If you can get him to write an IMO for you also, again, that would really help. Offer to pay for that as well if necessary. You will have questions going forward, but this is a serious disability. You have to be aware how important this VA comp will be if your eye condition gets progressively worse so you are doing the right thing by addressing it now. It is important to you and your family. Best of luck.