Jump to content
VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

  • homepage-banner-2024-2.png

  • donate-be-a-hero.png

  • 0

Reference for medical opinion for wrong service condition

Rate this question



  • Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
  • HadIt.com Elder

A medical examiner is supposed to eval the veteran's condition. If he /she comes across another condition that is related to the one they are evaluating, if they are qualified to review and eval it they should. If not, they should make a note of it in the file , IMO. For example, the veteran is having a C&P for his back and the examiner notices symptoms of severe heart disease. Obviously, they can cause more harm than good if they are not qualified to do a through eval which is often the case if they were to rate inadequately.  Any comments will be considered when determining a disability, and it could be given too much weight in the development process. Certainly, if it were added to your claim then rated incorrectly, you would have to get your own supporting medical opinion/evidence on appeal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
  • Moderator

Chris Attig talks about "inadequate exams".  However, this is a great reason I 

Do not advocate getting too specific when you apply.  


Doc A may diagnose you with arthritis.  Doc B may say its bursitis.  Do you want to be denied because docs differ in their opinions??  I dont.  Instead, I say.  "I want to apply for pain and stiffness in my shoulder".  The regulations state the Veteran need only point to the body part to apply for benefits, he need not memorize the differences, for example, between Bipolar, Schizo, PTSD, MDD and the like, and know the differences between DSM IV and DSM V.  

Let Doctors be doctors, and Veterans..well do what you are good at.  If you really wanted to practice medicine, then go to med school.  Dont try to diagnose your own conditions, either.  And, dont take sides if Doc A and Doc B disagree on your diagnosis, this is normal.  

Edited by broncovet
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
  • HadIt.com Elder

I agree with broncovet,&GB Army, let the Dr's do there work, and make a diagnose, then after you get a dx LOOK UP THE RATING % CRITERIA for that condition and the severity of it  its always good to make sure this examiner was or is qualified to do your exam..if he is not and you know this for sure ask the Dr if he is qualified to do this exam...if not then check with the C&P Chief at the C&P OFFICE ask to be rescheduled..it could mean a long long wait for your benefits if you don't 

Edited by Buck52
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use