Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep apnea secondary to Fibromyalgia

Rate this question

PEACHES1962

Question

I was surprised sleep apnea could be a secondary condition connected to fibromyalgia.  I just had a C&P exam and it looks like a favorable outcome. I have attached the documents. This might be helpful to someone.

Sleep Apnea DBQ.pdf Medical Opinion DBQ (Secondary Service Connection).pdf

Edited by PEACHES1962
could see personal information

• HadIt.com Elder
20 hours ago, paulstrgn said:

This I understand, but I see it as being required for the SA. It does not say the veteran must use it (now it would be stupid not to), I think is what would happen is the VA would stop issueing CPAP machine and the supplies.

I have hypertension if I am stupid enough not to use my meds I would still have the same rating. I might die quickly from not using them, but it is not a requirement.

My last C-PAP I got through tricare which means I had a small co-pay, my last sleep study was last year. My doctor on base said I should have a a sleepstudy every few years.  

I need to get a PCM at the VA so I can get referred to sleep medicine, I would like it if I could at least get my supplies through them. It is such a hassle to get a PCM with the VA, I have been waiting for a week for them to call me back. It will probably be a civilian PCM which is fine with me, I just need my paperwork forwarded to get my supplies and possibly a new CPAP machine.

Well I guess they assume we use it   if they find out we don't use the VA Prescribe C-pap machine   you can bet your boots they will send a proposal to reduce benefits.

A 50% VA sleep apnea rating “Requires use of breathing assistance device such as continuous airway pressure (CPAP) machine.” Until recently, VA was prone to ignore two little words in the rating criteria. ... The result – service-connected veterans who did not use a CPAP did not get a 50% rating for VA sleep apnea

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

2 hours ago, Buck52 said:

Well I guess they assume we use it   if they find out we don't use the VA Prescribe C-pap machine   you can bet your boots they will send a proposal to reduce benefits.

I don't disagree with what you are saying Buck, but I interpit the requirements as needing one not that they use one but require one. But with that said a veteran is placing their health at a greater risk by not using one. I do recommend that they use one if it is needed, it does help.

Plus in case I am wrong (which won't be the first time) you don't want to lose that 50% rating but not using it.

Just wondering Buck, how often do you go to the sleep shop at the VA? Since I got mine through tricare I don't ever go. I do get a new sleep study though every few years per my PCM.

I am not an attorney or an a credited VA rep. These are my personal opinions and experiences, always remember what worked for me may not work for you.

You as the veteran are your own best advocate and no one knows your disabilities better than you. It is highly recommended that you as the veteran research and verify that any opinion given meets your specific situation.

11 hours ago, Buck52 said:

Vetquest  is this a full mask that fits over mouth and nose? Was this  from the VA? or Private? 

what does it look like ? can you describe it a little better?  is this the mask that has the air hose that fits around the head and has the Nostril Fit?

It is a relatively new mask, I get it from a private doctor.  It is a full face mask where the hose attaches in the front.  It has a top headgear strap and two straps that go around the bottom.

IMG_0919.JPG

Edited by vetquest
Deleted picture

1 hour ago, vetquest said:

It is a relatively new mask, I get it from a private doctor.

I was reseraching the mask and found it for $99 and free shipping. for orders over $99. I may buy it, not sure if my insurance will cover the cost of it or not but the price seems good. 

https://www.thecpapshop.com/resmed-airfit-n30-nasal-cpap-mask-with-headgear?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o9&scid=scplp64223-BUNDLE&sc_intid=64223-BUNDLE&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrvyi16Hy5QIVDZSzCh15eABBEAQYCSABEgItvvD_BwE

I need a mas that will work.

I am not an attorney or an a credited VA rep. These are my personal opinions and experiences, always remember what worked for me may not work for you.

You as the veteran are your own best advocate and no one knows your disabilities better than you. It is highly recommended that you as the veteran research and verify that any opinion given meets your specific situation.

• HadIt.com Elder

Oh okay 

Roger that.Thanks Vetquest.

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

Paul This one should work for you....also they  have a mask that has less straps to hold it on   the strap is also the air hose and it fits around the head and into the nastrails ...the lead air hose fits from the cpap snaps directly onto the mask itself (the nose piece)  kinda like this one vetquest put up  it just don't have a mouth cover like this one...I can't think of the name of it.

I have problems with a full mask that covers the mouth...it irritates my skin  so I have to use the special cut out cloth pads between my mouth and the facemask itself.  its a lot of trouble lining up those pads every night and when I knock the mask off have to get a new pad    its aggravating.

have to have those straps fairly tight  other wise it will leak  so the pressure with that  is why it irritates my skin