VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep apnea secondary to Fibromyalgia

Rate this question

PEACHES1962

Question

I was surprised sleep apnea could be a secondary condition connected to fibromyalgia.  I just had a C&P exam and it looks like a favorable outcome. I have attached the documents. This might be helpful to someone.

Sleep Apnea DBQ.pdf Medical Opinion DBQ (Secondary Service Connection).pdf

Edited by PEACHES1962
could see personal information

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
16 minutes ago, paulstrgn said:

I do get the salesman calling every few months to let me know they will be sending the new supplies. Since I have been getting this through tricare I have been paying a co-pay for all supplies. This is why I am trying to get on with the VA to send me the supplies. 

That's a pretty good deal to just pay copays only. You're definitely doing the right thing by working to get them covered by the VA. 

My first CPAP machine was given to me by a non-VA doc, but I followed up with the VA to get replacement supplies. About two years ago, the VA neurosleep team said my old machine needed to be replaced. The new machine was much more quiet and had the modem enabled. I just send a secure message via myhealth e vet twice a year and the supplies come in the mail. After my heart attack, my sleep has been totally jacked up. I sent a secure message asking if they could check my numbers. They said I am lacking in the total hours sleep each night, but my apnea count was acceptable. Another good thing about the new machine is that it is BlueTooth capable. I loaded a Philips app on my phone and can download data, check sleep metrics, run reports, etc... It's pretty awesome.

16 minutes ago, Vync said:

You're definitely doing the right thing by working to get them covered by the VA. 

I am just waiting for them to assign me a PCM so I can give the last sleep study results to be sent to the sleep medicine section. It seems so crazy that I must go through a PCM just to give them my paperwork.

Now that my SA is SC I thought I might as well get this stuff for free. I do think I need a new machine. I like the idea of only sending a message to get my supplies. The app is nice to use.

Thank you @Vync the information you provided has been very helpful.

29 minutes ago, paulstrgn said:

I am just waiting for them to assign me a PCM so I can give the last sleep study results to be sent to the sleep medicine section. It seems so crazy that I must go through a PCM just to give them my paperwork.

Now that my SA is SC I thought I might as well get this stuff for free. I do think I need a new machine. I like the idea of only sending a message to get my supplies. The app is nice to use.

Thank you @Vync the information you provided has been very helpful.

Glad to help!

Of course, I had to go through my primary care doc and get a referral to the VA neurosleep clinic and wait to get in.

One thing I found interesting was both the non-VA sleep center and the VA neurosleep clinic used the same software and equipment for the sleep studies.

Below is the new CPAP machine I received from the VAMC: DreamStation Auto CPAP with Heated Humidifier by Philips Respironics. I'm not sure about the specific model number, but this should be similar to what you can expect to get. It's really a nice piece of equipment.

I also had to ask the VA for some sort of hose cover (like a cloth sock which wraps the tube between the machine and the mask). Even though the humidifier warms the air, it can get cold and wake me up at night. The cover really helps.

DreamStation Auto CPAP DSX500H11 with Heated Humidifier by Philips Respironics, No Tax

I have a feeling that the VA will require me to have a new sleep study to get a new CPAP, I am not sure how often they should be replaced (the one I have is about 4 1/2 years old). My last sleep study was 4/2018 and I bet they will say that is too old to use, I hope I am wrong. 

I like the look of the CPAP machine above, it looks much smaller than the one I have.

Now I just need the VA to set me up with a PCM, I was told it will be an outside doctor since they don't have any space available at my local VA.

42 minutes ago, paulstrgn said:

I have a feeling that the VA will require me to have a new sleep study to get a new CPAP, I am not sure how often they should be replaced (the one I have is about 4 1/2 years old). My last sleep study was 4/2018 and I bet they will say that is too old to use, I hope I am wrong. 

I like the look of the CPAP machine above, it looks much smaller than the one I have.

Now I just need the VA to set me up with a PCM, I was told it will be an outside doctor since they don't have any space available at my local VA.

I got my initial CPAP back around 2012. In 2018, they gave me the new one without requiring me to have a new sleep study. I just brought my old machine with me so they could check it out and read the data card. I think that if they can read the data card, they can see if you have been using it. I did have to attend a short seminar/class a few days later to teach me and a room full of other vets how to use the new machine.

• HadIt.com Elder

I got mine about 2 1/2 years ago. Had a great deal of issues with the mask staying in place (like we all do.) The other major problem is that the mask would tear and only last a month or so. The problem was that they only allow 3 masks for 6 months, and it was heartburn city to get them to bend the rules. I use duck tape to get extra time out of them; if you buy outside, they go for about $20 a piece. Funny, but the last shipment seems to last almost 2 months so it seems to be ok now. They must have changed the formula on the plastic or something. The other thing is I believe you can get an app for your smart phone (no comments needed here) from the VA and they can monitor your use right there without you having to bring it in. Pretty sure about that, although I never did it.