VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New claim secondary to service connected disability

Rate this question

Kuwaitin08

Question

6 answers to this question

That is what I have done for the following reason. 

1. The raters know that you know what they are suppose to know.

2. They have no excuse to say there is missing documents or medical evidence of the original disability.

3. They know you have your own copies of proof of disability and service connection and that you are a good record keeper so you have put them and the BVA on notice.

I practice what I preach and have sent them duplicate copies on several occasions for my claims and appeals for over 30 years.  Sometimes they return the copies with a big red D stamped on the pages but it has not hurt my claims or appeals at all.  Better safe than sorry as the VA is very tricky tricky about saying there is no evidence (lie), etc.

As a follow up to my first response.  If your original service connected disability involved a ton of paperwork in you VA medical records then obviously you need not send all this in with your new claim but maybe a few select important documents to remind them you have "ALL" the records if needed to prove again your first disability.

My information is not legal advice as I am not an attorney, paralegal or VSO

good question and good advice. i am about to submit some secodary claims and have been working on getting all the relevant documents together but hadnt even thought to give docs pertaining to the already SC stuff..

GOOOD CALL 

I also include more information than they ask for.  I have had them include information on the evidence list as duplicates but I look at the previous denial and they were not listed.  You can never trust the VA to do the right thing and my records are massive.  I therefore include pertinent information that might be overlooked.

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree. If it is necessary for a favorable decision, include it. These raters are notorious for not reading your claim, especially background support stuff. Include again.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

If the documentation included non-VA medical records, be sure to also include a signed release of medical information authorization form. This is just a time saver. If they don't get it, your claim will be put on hold until you get it to them. No reason to wait if you include it.