Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea

Rate this question

goose_716

Question

Has anyone tried to connect sleep apnea to being caused by working a rotating schedule.  I worked 2 days 2 swings 2 mid for about 13 years out of my 20.  Rest of my career was rotating schedule but it was not as xtreme. 

I stand corrected. I asked something 8 days ago (not 2) and the last activity before that was in 2018. Doesn't change anything. I don't 'argue' with anyone over there. I never have. 

VBN Dipshit Detector.png

I haven't read this whole thread-

this might help the original poster:

"ORDER

Service connection for right ear hearing loss is granted.

Service connection for a sleep disorder, diagnosed as shift work sleep disorder, is granted."

https://www.va.gov/vetapp13/Files4/1335205.txt

In part the decision states:

"The above medical opinions attribute the Veteran's shift work sleep disorder to his in-service shift work, but refrain from relating his sleep apnea to his in-service shift work, or to his shift work sleep disorder. (The Board comprehends the October 2007 opinion as stating that the Veteran's sleep disorder and sleep apnea contribute to his inappropriate sleepiness and fatigue-not that his sleep disorder contributes to his sleep apnea, a reading that has been suggested by the Veteran. See August 2008 Notice of Disagreement.) However, despite this, in construing the claim most favorably to the Veteran and categorizing his claim generally as one for a sleep disorder, the Board finds that such evidence supports an award of service connection, on the basis that his diagnosed shift work sleep disorder has been related to his in-service shift work. Additionally, the finding that the Veteran developed a sleep disorder due to his in-service shift work is supported by the Veteran's service treatment records, which were recorded contemporaneously with the timeframe in question. Such concurrent evidence weighs heavily in favor of the Veteran's claim. In sum, service treatment records document that the Veteran developed a sleep disorder during service. Such sleep disorder, currently diagnosed as shift work sleep disorder, has been attributed to his in-service shift work by private and VA doctors. Accordingly, the Board finds that service connection for shift work sleep disorder is warranted."

The VA stated my husband had Miner's syndrome- such as what problems coal miners have had with shift work and sleep issues.But that could only be attributed to post service jobs in a Nuclear Power Plant.It did affect his SC PTSD.

https://www.hillandponton.com/sleep-disorders-service-connectable/

Sleep shift disorder is mentioned under the Circadian Rhythm Sleep- 

There is plenty on the net about shift work sleep disorders.