VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question about my 100 percent rating

Rate this question

1stfastmarine22

Question

I used to recieve 70 percent and have individual employability. Went to a Exam in 2012 and was Raised to 100 percent. Had another exam a couple years ago and stayed the same. Had my last exam in October. Recieved a letter saying I was 100 percent and I was entitled to chapter 35 benefits. The award letter didn't say I was permanent and total. I went to ebenifits recently to print out a letter for a summary of benefits. On the letter it says that I am considered totally and permanently disabled solely to my service connected disabilities. It also has a line that says You are being paid 100 percent because you are unemployable due to your service connected disabilities. So I'm I 100 percent Permanent and total or have they somehow put me back on Individual Unemployablity? It doesn't say I am anywhere on it. Also can my wife and kids Get ChampVA since they rated me at 100 percent total and permanent? Thanks in advance for anyone that can help me understand. It also says there are no future exams

• HadIt.com Elder

1stfastmarine22 I believe you are P&T; your letter said your dependents have chapter 35 education benefits. I would call Peggy 1-800-827-1000 and ask them to clarify. You can also initiate an IRIS request on ebenifits under "contact us" tab. It is puzzling you didn't get anything on VAChamp but you did get Chapter 35? Get your response in writing.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I'm still quite surprised that the VA has not fixed this. It would be so much clearer if they would just tell veterans outright in the decision letter instead of using some vague status.

• HadIt.com Elder

Vync I am not surprised at all. It is such a easy fix that if they wanted to they could have fixed this misinformation years ago. So why don't they fix it, you may ask? Benjamin's! $$$ The only reason. If veterans who have earned significant benefits are not informed of what they  have coming, or, if not telling them it will delay or eliminate a financial benefit, the VA saves money. It should be standard boiler plate for veterans earing 100%. IMO

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@GBArmy I don't doubt it. Once I got P&T, I went over to the county tax assessor's office and requested a homestead tax exemption. I had to bring the original decision plus the letter from the online form generator. The VA often does not realize that their poor decisions have ramifications outside of the VA system.

Your P&T go to tax assessors office with the letter that says Chapter 35 benefits and go to the base and get your military card.

Congrats!  The letter should also indicate no further exams.

These terms are VAspeak for P and T:

"No Future exams are scheduled."

"Chapter 35 eligibility for dependents is established".  

As explained, VA loves to complicate and confuse in order to get out of paying more benefits.