VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Increasing Rating how to get an increase

Rate this question

Bee at Home

Question

I'm the wife of a Vietnam Vet. He's currently rated @ 130% for back injuries (8 back surgeries), Agent Orange Parkinson's, Tinnitus, & Neuropathy. Has been diagnosed with Chronic PTSD but never wanted to make a claim - afraid they'd take his guns.  Have tons of documentation on the VA.gov site in support of claim.  He's having a Psych exam this week. Wondering if we should download his medical records for the Psych doc or just upload it to the claim site.  Also getting a C&P exam for worsening back, legs & feet.  Any thoughts on if he can get @ least a 50% PTSD rating if that will be enough to get him to 100%? He's currently paid @ 80%.  So frustrating! Noone can understand why he isn't already getting 100%. Would help our financial situation being retired on fixed income for sure. Any thoughts or encouragement appreciated! We have a DAV rep but reaching out for any & all advice...thanks!

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi Bee at Home Welcome to Hadit. You state he is at 130% and also he is rated at 80%. I think the first thing you should do is provide a copy of his decision letter listing his percentages. Redact any personal info like name, ssn, etc. Just because he may be rated for PTSD, it doesn't necessarily mean they will take his guns away. It depends upon whether he is a threat to himself or others. That would come out in his eval. If he can't work/hold down a job he should have been eval for TDIU, which pays at 100% rate. Do you have anything from the VA addressing that? There are several members here that have much  more knowledge about his condition and will jump in. You will have to provide more info on specifics of his symptoms. 

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Some more tips can also be found here:

Im not getting your question.  You posted, 

He's currently rated @ 130% for back injuries 

Once you achieve "100 percent", the only way to increase this is through Special Monthly Compensation.  (SMC).  For example, if your husband did apply and was awarded 100 percent for PTSD, then you should get SMC S, for an additional 370 per month.  

If he needs Aid and Attendance, or has "loss of use" he may also get SMC.  

If you think he is eligble, simply apply using the applicable form or file for it online.  

The reason Im confused is you said he is currently paid at 80 percent.  The discrepency between 80 percent and 130 percent "could be" because of VA math.  If he is only getting 80 percent, then by all means apply for PTSD if you think he is eligible.  The comp for 100 percent is WAY more than 80 percent.  

Im not getting your question.  You posted, 

He's currently rated @ 130% for back injuries 

Once you achieve "100 percent", the only way to increase this is through Special Monthly Compensation.  (SMC).  For example, if your husband did apply and was awarded 100 percent for PTSD, then you should get SMC S, for an additional 370 per month.  

If he needs Aid and Attendance, or has "loss of use" he may also get SMC.  

If you think he is eligble, simply apply using the applicable form or file for it online.  

The reason Im confused is you said he is currently paid at 80 percent.  The discrepency between 80 percent and 130 percent "could be" because of VA math.  If he is only getting 80 percent, then by all means apply for PTSD if you think he is eligible.  The comp for 100 percent is WAY more than 80 percent.  

I will add, however, I can not guarantee he can still purchase a weapon "if" he is rated 100 percent for a mental disorder.  I can tell you I have 100 percent for MDD, and I purchased a weapon AFTER I was so rated.  

It probably depends on your doctor.  If your doctor says you are at risk of harming yourself or others, then you may not be able to buy a weapon.  

FOR ME, the way I read the "rate tables" a married Vet at 80 percent gets 1795 per month while a married vet at 100 pecent gets 3270 per month, a differnce of 1475 per month.  

That means I could buy a lot of "non gun" toys for an additional 1475 per month.  I could buy, for example, a pretty nice 4 wheeler, or a boat, jet ski, new pickup, etc, etc, and I would be able to play with "those toys" instead of guns for 1400 more per month.  

I am receiving 70% for PTSD and am still able to purchase a gun.  I believe the gun prohibition that they were talking about for disabled veterans are the veterans with a conservator to handle their finances.  Please have him apply.

Hi all, thanks for the feedback & sorry for any confusion. Yes, we're dealing with VA 'math' whereby he has combined rating percentages for multiple issues & now we're adding PTSD. Totally understand the difference between the 80% & 100% payment! Would mean the world to have that extra $1500 a month! Not living check to check, travel & overall breathing room. Just hoping if he can get @ least a 50% rating for PTSD which brings his total gross percentage to 180% will that be enough to bump him to 100% payment rate...