Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep apnea

Rate this question

JWILK

Question

I have severe ptsd from service trauma and am trying to connect my severe sleep apnea, I have gained considerable weight since separating from the service and because of my PTSD , I don't exercise anymore or go out in public. I also have asthma which keeps me from exercise as I have exercise induced asthma attacks. How can I convey this information to my C&P doctor? I have an  exam January 27th at the va

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

If your asthma is also s-c, ask the C&P examiner if your meds for that as well as for PTSD, many of which make you put on weight, also cause weight gain. Weight gain can  definatetly be connected to OSA. Look up the cautions on your prescriptions and show them if they say no. If yes, ask them to include it in their exam notes.

Both shrek and GBArmy are correct.  I would put together a package of your doctors notes and treatment records with tabs to mark the most important evidence.  You can offer the doctor these copies and give these to the examiner, most will accept them.  I once had a VA C&P doctor go through all of my records and pull out the most important facts, this is unusual.  Most doctors are not given enough time to read all of your records and some of them do not.  

Be respectful and do not let the examiner upset you.  If they allow; bring your spouse with you, if you have one.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Hopefully you will get a good C&P Examiner to discuss this all with, as  Shrek and GB Army & Vetquest mention  ...>good advise

Remember if the examiner ends the exam without any of this discussed with you  Bring it to his/her Attention

I had and a PTSD EXAM one time and I mention that the Phyistrist sent me to the VA  Sleep clinic and they did a private sleep study and I was diagnose for Mild Sleep Apnea...I forgot to mention this to this examiner  and it sure would have saved time...Now I will have to file a secondary claim to my PTSD if I want my sleep apnea Service connected.

other wise I believed she would have helped me out  Sometimes they do not read all the records for other issues but just what your there for.

but like I said if I had mention this to this examiner  I'd probably be service connected for my Sleep Apnea Now  eh!!!

So don't forget to bring up any issues you may have at your C&P at this C&P You have for Jan 27th at your VA

My C&P Exam was with QTC  a very nice Black Lady. Not sure how the VA PTSD Are?

I wish you the best outcome.

Edited by Buck52