Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

FormerMember

Question

I get asked by Vets what VBMS looks like and what we can see. The truth is we can see quite a bit. We can see about a week ahead when your claim is getting ready to be granted. Often we can see the denial brewing by the little blue symbols that look like a judge's gavel beside important documents.  Well, here's a peek at our new Windows 10 version that came out several weeks ago. Of course, I woke up January 15th and realized I had no idea how to get in. I had to call IT for help. VA contracts out to an outfit called the Enterprise Service Desk. The babe who answered had no idea what to do either. Nobody had briefed her in yet. I finally stumbled through it until I got in. Anyway, just for the experience, I thought i would share it with you fellow members. 

https://asknod.org/2020/01/27/va-the-new-vbms-users-primer/

6 answers to this question

I guess the last video says it all.  Once you dig into deeply into VBMS, there are rattlesnakes they dont want you to know about.  You have got to find (the snakes) and remove them carefully.  They put at least one rattler in every claim.    But, most of us dont even know there is a rattler in our claims file, its well protected with VBMS, and Veterans cant go there to remove the rattler.  

Only lawyers/non attorney practioners (with VBMS access AND knowledge how to use it), and maybe a few VSO's can find the rattler.

For the rest of us, we never know when that rattler comes out and bites our claims.  But we do know if we dont get help quick, its all over.  

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

Looks all Geek to me  grrrrr

I wonder if they have a time limit once you get in?

I'm not so sure I could til anything about it if I was sitting there with the user...

I still think they should declassify this and make it usable for the Veterans and let the Veterans figure it out...seems like they like to hide things from us or don't want us to see some things....I don't know what difference it makes they still have to process these claims the correct way.

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

I agree with Buck, we should all have access to VBMS.  My status is still set to not let my VSO into my VBMS though.  Even if they let us have access we probably would not have access due to the security levels set.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@asknod Is there a button they use to issue rubber stamp denials?

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

Negatory on an actual button, sir. I can smell a denial or a grant from the appearance of little blue flags next to important DBQ opinions. In VBMS, you may see 12 DBQs for different facets of Parkinson's and then there will be one for the opinion. Could be if the rater doesn't like the answer, they'll ask for a supplemental opinion to get into the "not at least as likely as not" area. 

In a Veteran's profile section, they have a series of  entries called "Flashes" regarding entitlement to fees, AO exposure, Vietnam boots on the ground, homeless. If I file it brand new and we win, I get nothing. If it's denied and I win, then I get paid. The entries will say 1) attorney fee when I file the POA. 2) is after I file a 526. It says attorney fees possible. 3) will never appear unless I file a 995 and win. Then it will have "attorney fees due". Funny thing is it will say that two weeks before I win. Go figure.