Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×

asknod
This thread is over 365 days old and has been closed.

Please post your question as a New Topic by clicking this link and choosing which forum to post in.

For almost everything you are going to want to post in VA Claims Research.

If this is your first time posting. Take a moment and read our Guidelines. It will inform you of what is and isn't acceptable and tips on getting your questions answered. 

Remember, everyone who comes here is a volunteer. At one point, they went to the forums looking for information. They liked it here and decided to stay and help other veterans. They share their personal experience, providing links to the law and reference materials and support because working on your claim can be exhausting and beyond frustrating. 

This thread may still provide value to you and is worth at least skimming through the responses to see if any of them answer your question. Knowledge Is Power, and there is a lot of knowledge in older threads.

Question

I get asked by Vets what VBMS looks like and what we can see. The truth is we can see quite a bit. We can see about a week ahead when your claim is getting ready to be granted. Often we can see the denial brewing by the little blue symbols that look like a judge's gavel beside important documents.  Well, here's a peek at our new Windows 10 version that came out several weeks ago. Of course, I woke up January 15th and realized I had no idea how to get in. I had to call IT for help. VA contracts out to an outfit called the Enterprise Service Desk. The babe who answered had no idea what to do either. Nobody had briefed her in yet. I finally stumbled through it until I got in. Anyway, just for the experience, I thought i would share it with you fellow members. 

https://asknod.org/2020/01/27/va-the-new-vbms-users-primer/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 answers to this question

I guess the last video says it all.  Once you dig into deeply into VBMS, there are rattlesnakes they dont want you to know about.  You have got to find (the snakes) and remove them carefully.  They put at least one rattler in every claim.    But, most of us dont even know there is a rattler in our claims file, its well protected with VBMS, and Veterans cant go there to remove the rattler.  

Only lawyers/non attorney practioners (with VBMS access AND knowledge how to use it), and maybe a few VSO's can find the rattler.

For the rest of us, we never know when that rattler comes out and bites our claims.  But we do know if we dont get help quick, its all over.  

Edited by broncovet

Looks all Geek to me  grrrrr

I wonder if they have a time limit once you get in?

I'm not so sure I could til anything about it if I was sitting there with the user...

I still think they should declassify this and make it usable for the Veterans and let the Veterans figure it out...seems like they like to hide things from us or don't want us to see some things....I don't know what difference it makes they still have to process these claims the correct way.

I agree with Buck, we should all have access to VBMS.  My status is still set to not let my VSO into my VBMS though.  Even if they let us have access we probably would not have access due to the security levels set.

• Like 2

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@asknod Is there a button they use to issue rubber stamp denials?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Negatory on an actual button, sir. I can smell a denial or a grant from the appearance of little blue flags next to important DBQ opinions. In VBMS, you may see 12 DBQs for different facets of Parkinson's and then there will be one for the opinion. Could be if the rater doesn't like the answer, they'll ask for a supplemental opinion to get into the "not at least as likely as not" area. 

In a Veteran's profile section, they have a series of  entries called "Flashes" regarding entitlement to fees, AO exposure, Vietnam boots on the ground, homeless. If I file it brand new and we win, I get nothing. If it's denied and I win, then I get paid. The entries will say 1) attorney fee when I file the POA. 2) is after I file a 526. It says attorney fees possible. 3) will never appear unless I file a 995 and win. Then it will have "attorney fees due". Funny thing is it will say that two weeks before I win. Go figure. 

• Like 1

• veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines