Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

INTENT TO FILE

Rate this question

Ronc531

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi Ronc531 Peggy is what we affectionately call the VA's general inquiry number. 1-800-827-1000. It isn't very accurate or informative either , but sometimes you can get a rep that can tell you something. Maybe you can get some results. Just know that the inaccurate posting on ebenies will eventually go away,  so don't let it bother you too much.

10 hours ago, Ronc531 said:

Then my wife saw that you are only aloud to do this once in your lifetime. 

Not sure where you got this information from but it is not true.  A veteran or his/her representative can file an intent to file a claim to reserve their effective date at any time, there is no limit.  After a veteran files a claim and it is rated and service connected, the veteran can then file new claims for service connection as many as he/she wants.  Keep in mind that sometimes secondary service connection disabilities don't appear until months/years later.  I don't understand the once in a lifetime statement.

• HadIt.com Elder

I totally agree with pete992

You can file as many ITF as you want  it preserves you an EED  And gives you an extra year to get medical records C-FILE ec,,ect,, before filing your claim  Actually the ITF is a good thing 

example 

IF YOU FILE ELECTRONICALLY 

you file the ITF  you have 12 months actually 11 months and 29 days before you need to actually file the claim as long as you file it before a year is up once you file the ITF..Say you wait 11 months and 29 days to file  then you hit the submit button and file your claim , if it takes the VA another year to approve your claim   then you get 1 year 11 months and 29 days retro..but my reason I like the ITF is  it gives the veteran time to request a lot of paper work he will need to perfect his/her claim.

Note** IF YOU FILE USING U.S. POSTAL SERVICE  YOU NEED TO PREPARE AND FILE A WEEK OR TWO BEFORE THE YEAR IS UP SO YOUR R.O. WILL BE SURE TO GET IT BEFORE THE YEARS DEADLINE. , AND REMEMBER TO ALWAYS CERTIFY  YOUR SENT IN APPLICATIONS TO YOUR CLAIM WITH CERTIFIED RETURN MAIL RECEIPT.  &  HANG ON TO THAT RECEIPT.

Main thing is do not let the ITF GO OVER 12 MONTHS BEFORE FILING.

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

Just wanted to make a ''Correction'' on the above post

I mention to send your Claim application in to your R.O.

I think they changed that in the last 3 or 4 years now.

Now we need to send our application for claims to the claims intake  processing center. Janesville Wi

On 1/31/2020 at 2:07 AM, pete992 said:

Not sure where you got this information from but it is not true.  A veteran or his/her representative can file an intent to file a claim to reserve their effective date at any time, there is no limit.  After a veteran files a claim and it is rated and service connected, the veteran can then file new claims for service connection as many as he/she wants.  Keep in mind that sometimes secondary service connection disabilities don't appear until months/years later.  I don't understand the once in a lifetime statement.

Thanks, not sure where she saw it, but my wife is always right :)