VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Another Military Benefit Starting to Disappear

Rate this question

paulstrgn

Question

I hate seeing the benefits promised to us retirees disappearing. I guess the government forgot about this promise also to all the retirees.

I receive emails from Military.com about More than 3 dozen Military Hospitals to Stop Treating Retirees, Families, Memo Shows. Here is the link to the article: https://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/02/07/more-3-dozen-military-hospitals-stop-treating-retirees-families-memo-shows.html?ESRC=eb_200210.nl

Back in the 80's most Naval Hospitals stopped seeing dependents.  Camp Pendleton got sued and rightfully so.  A dependent on base was hit by a military vehicle and the hospital refused to see her.  She died on route to a civilian hospital.

I can understand smaller military bases that don't have the capacity, it has always been like that since the late 70s. I don't know if Lackland AFB hospital still does this but they used to take civilians from downtown because they were a level one trauma center. Perhaps that has changed too.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

It does stink. My parents have received their treatment at Redstone Arsenal for decades, but lately they have been outsourcing some aspects of their healthcare. Speaking of Redstone Arsenal, they used to have an official military hospital with emergency room, but it was downsized to a clinic. They transfer emergency cases to the hospitals in Huntsville, AL.

Fort Hood has already started denying service to retirees that are not yet enrolled. And they are referring retirees out for any specialty clinics..  basically leaving us with just primary care.. which really sucks because all the primary care can do is basic stuff anything else they refer out as well.  So much for Tricare for life .. and the DOD promises to retirees... this is not the first time they screwed retirees on medical care....I think if I had it do do over again I would not have stayed to retirement...considering my medical problems it just wasn't worth it...

Ironically, they used the Veteran Population in the area as one reason to build the New  Darnell Medical Center

Edited by Richard1954

2 hours ago, paulstrgn said:

I don't know if Lackland AFB hospital still does this

They don't in fact about 7  or  8 years ago they stopped seeing retirees  and our care was picked up at BAMC, and transferred all level one trauma to Brooks Army Medical Center... I used to get care from them before I moved back to Killeen from San Antonio  

Edited by Richard1954