Marijuana and controlled substances

Rate this question

Anthony333777

Question

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Every 3 months? How long does THC stays in the system? Depends on weight and how much you smoke I heard. 

This is the "grey area".  However, you "should" be able to discuss this with your doctor, especially if/when he establishes your trust.  Its a great question.  

As often occurs with VA, there may not be a nationwide policy on it, "except" that, officially, Marijuana is illegal federally, and with VA.  

While I do have a family member who is an MD, she is "exceptionally guarded" at giving out medical advice.  Ditto for my wife, a retired RN.  My wife's response is always the same, when asked a medical question: "You should ask your doctor about that".  

VA (allegedly) wants to earn Veterans trust.  This would be a great place to start!  

Im pretty sure "its not" illegal to ask your doctor questions on THC/marijuana.  In fact, Im not sure its illegal to ask your doctor any question(s).  

This said, you dont want to be "identified" as a "drug seeker".  Still, if you word your question carefully, and dont admit to marijuana use, even if you do, it should help.  

Example:

Doc. Jones, may I ask a question?  While I dont personally use marijuana, (dont lie here, but you also dont need to admit something maybe you dont want your doctor to know, either.  It should be ok, to put your toe in the water, even if you dont know how to swim..  )

Im sure you know medical marijuana is legal in my state.  "If" I were to go to the trouble and get a "marijuana card" for my state, would this mean any of my current meds would be discontinued for that reason if tests showed THC levels in the blood? I dont have a marijuana card now, but Im curious as to how that would affect VA care, should I decide to get one?  

I think this is a good question and should be answered by your doctor, but not label you as a drug seeker.  But that is just my opinion, and your doctor could have a very different opinion.  Your doctor should be able to      

I should have added to the top, but ill add here instead. You surely CAN talk to your VA doctor about MJ use. The worst that happens is it goes into VBMS, they ask you about it with some regularity at checkups, and you don't get opioids anymore. I see VHA files every day where the veteran uses MJ, CBD, tincture, distillate, whatever for pain for for PTSD. Its just added in the notes like any other thing. 

• HadIt.com Elder

I use VA pain meds. I get drug tested every time I use the VA.  They are really concerned with my health......Not!  VA got me addicted to pain meds back in the day when they prescribed oxycotin, percoset and morphine for a bad headache.

I hope you're doing well! Regarding your question about medical marijuana, it's important to note that laws and regulations can vary from state to state and it's always a good idea to consult with your doctor before making any changes to your medication routine. That being said, there are some high-quality CBD oil products that have been gaining popularity as a natural alternative for pain relief, devineboston.com is one such company. That offers a range of CBD products that are third-party tested for purity and potency. Perhaps you should look into this issue.

Edited by AishaAliyu

Sorry for bumping into an old conversation. It's great that you're exploring your options for managing your health conditions. While medical marijuana is legal in many states, it's important to note that it's still considered a controlled substance by the federal government. If you're interested in that topic, I suggest you read this article about the best CBD product. I hope that helps you!

Edited by VaneGreat