VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tinnitus

Rate this question

Fat

Question

Is anyone service connected for tinnitus without a complaint in military service records.

How is tinnitus rated or determined?

I understand that tinnitus is determined by military event or job classification, statement from veteran or current diagnosis, and nexus or continuity of treatment.

A letter is also helpful detailing job description, exposure to noise, first symptoms, etc.

Ringing or sounds in the ear. Always write a letter to opine on the job and also the  symptoms you have like, "the loud obnoxious ringing sound effects your ability to concentrate and causes you headaches"

There is a list of MOS's that have 'noise exposure' indicators (high, moderate, low) that is used. If your MOS is on your DD214 or other records we mark those for review for when it gets to rating. The threshold is pretty low for tinnitus and hearing loss, though hearing loss less so because there are actual audiogram results that will be sent back from the exam (or your Private medical records). There are certain things that MUST be done a certain way by your audiologist. You have to have them do a puretone exam (which I think is pretty standard) and they have to use the Maryland Speech Recognition type of exam (for hearing loss). 

Tinnitus is a pretty easy rating to get provided you have current complaints about it, and were around noisy stuff, or in combat, or under fire at some point if not combat. We flag the exam request with a modifier that indicates the possibility of MOS noise exposure before we send it to exams. ITs not always ringing, either- sometimes its a whitenoise type of static-y sound, and it can come and go in severity in certain situations, also. 

Edited by brokensoldier244th

• HadIt.com Elder

I pretty much agree with the advise from brokensoldier and Miken2c74. It probably varies somewhat from ro to ro, but I don't think receiving a rating higher than 0% for hearing would be considered pegged to a low threshold. From what I have experienced and what I have observed the standard for a monetary grant for 10% or higher seems to be fairly hard to get. Not saying you don't have a hearing issue, but the VA sets a standard that it has to be pretty poor just to get the minimum. I've seen several veterans with obvious hearing problems receive the tinnitus rating (10%) but be rated 0% for hearing. I would also suggest that if you do get a low rating, even 0% you should try again in a year or two. Many are successful on the second attempt. IMHO

Thanks for the comments.

The job is on the list (Communications Operator); however it is listed as low.

A job in the MOS was working in a tactical switch board unit with headset.

The job was primarily answering phones, conferencing agency calls, and forwarding military personnel calls from stateside/overseas locations.

There was constant beeping of the phones and the secure phone lines linking personnel to ships worldwide.

I am visiting an ENT to have my ears cleaned and to schedule a tinnitus test.

I will move forward after the results.

🤠.......

Edited by Fat

Tinnitus is easy, same with hearing- the low threshold is so I can get it to exams, not in determining the rating, though. I don't see that part because im not a rater, im a developer. I build your case from your claim file for the rater, and order exams. I think its more heavily based on the Speech recognition part.

Brokensoldier 244th, thanks for the information.

What do you mean by low threshold?

And do I have to submit a statement with claim?  If so, what information is needed.

My personnel file should help verify the unit I was in during active duty.

🤠..............