VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How do I get copy of C@p exam

Ken Dillon

Yesterday I had C2P exam of cervical back, I was in and out 15 mins, my question is how do I get a copy of the exam? Is it usual to have a nurse practitioner to do c2p exam?  Last question is that the Nurse Practitioner said I have a rating ( which I  do for Lumbar)  this should be a no brainer but I am very skeptical of being what is being said.   Thank you, Ken

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi Ken It is common for a np to do certain types of exams for C&P. Not unusual. What she writes down is what is important; not what she says. You would want to see a copy of your C&P exam, like you said.

• HadIt.com Elder

You didn't say if you had it done at the VA or at a contractor. If done at the RO, give them a week and go and ask them for a copy. If it is done at a contractor, like VES for example, you have to send away for it to Janesville. I was told that if you go to the C&P office after 30 days, you may have success, but I'm not sure that is correct. If it is, it will be a lot faster. Form 21-5345 I believe.

If you had it done at a VAMC, give it a week or so and it should show up in your VA medical records. If you have a myhealth.va.gov account you can go there and click on blue button medical reports.

If it was done by a VA contractor you will either have to go to the RO and request a copy or file a FOIO request for a copy. I'm not sure if any ROs are open for walk-ins though.  

Also, the VA has moved to mostly nurse practitioners and contractors to conduct exams. About 75% of exams are now done by contractors. In the past when I had exams they were all done at the VAMC and conducted by doctors. You'd be hard pressed to find doctors doing these exams now. Nurse practitioners are much cheaper than doctors.  

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I had a C&P done about a month ago via LHI (a VA contractor). Once it was completed and uploaded into the VA system, my VSO was able to go into VBMS and obtain a copy of it for me.

You have been given good advice.  However, Vets have explained to me that, because VA pays for those exams, they own them, not us.  That makes sense.  Once I own something, I get to chose what to do with it, for example, whether or not to release (information) to others, and "who" do I want to release it to.  

I release my records to my wife, but not so much others, unless they have a compelling reason.  Unfortunately, VA has a "compelling reason" to release records to them:  We often dont get paid unless we do release records.  

VA choses whether or not to release your C and P exam.  Mostly, I have gotten them to release them, but if they refuse, I dont see much you can do.  Its a real problem.  

Often it results in delay, because we dont know if there was a "defective" exam, until we read the BVA's "RBA" usually done after the BVA decision..  GRRRRR..