VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

High level Discussion time! To request a call or no?

Rate this question

ShuMan

Question

Hey Fellow Vets, 

Let's talk about high level reviews! Once your claim is denied or you think you should of been rated higher, you can request one of three appeal lanes (HLR, Supplemental, BVA).

One of those appeal lanes is called a high level review. You can add no new evidence to a high level review (No new med records, IMO's)  but  you can request an INFORMAL CONFERENCE WITH THE HIGHER-LEVEL REVIEWER.

This is what I want to debate! Do you do the Informal conference or not?

In my option, No! The word Informal makes that entire call questionable. When dealing with the VA, you do not want anything informal! 

Also that call push's your timeline out on your appeal plus are you really going to be able to articulate yourself correctly in under 15 minutes? 

What you should do instead is when turning in your high level review form you can add a VA Form 21-4138 explaining why you deserve a higher rating or why you think it should be service connected.  This will be official and will be reviewed by the rater.  You can take your time and craft your argument based on things like CFR's,  probative value and outline the evidence in your file. 

LETS DEBATE! 

• HadIt.com Elder

Quote from broncovet

''Im not a fan of HLR.  And, Im not a fan of hearings or "conferences", video or otherwise, in no small part because I am hard of hearing and very uncomfortable in situations where Im expected to hear and understand the speaker. ''

As I understand in a situation such as your disability (hard of hearing) they do make accommodations to fit your needs of your disability  its a law they have to do that... 

couple of examples 

if you use sign language they have someone to come in and use that, or they can use a machine that you look into and read what is being said  it can be made for the words to be increase so you can read it better  ect,,,ect,,, but the point here is  they have was to accommodate your disability  and when you can show them your disability up close  it increases your chances of an approval. (imo)

• HadIt.com Elder

Note*

The reason I mention the informal hearing is recorded because that is debatable,  but when I had my informal hearing the DRO Mention this would be off record...I LATER found out I had a recorded transcript type out on every word that was mention during my hearing.  it was in my C-File.

AS WHICH I CAME ACROSS IT WHILE TRYING TO FIND THE ADJUICATION DATES FOR MY Correct EED AND LETTER FROM Dr's stating I could no longer work due to my s.c. disabilities.

But unfortunately they don't have anything in that that would help me with a EED.

• HadIt.com Elder

Just to add one thing.As stated, I'm not a big fan, but it works in some circumstances. But one thing no one mentioned is you can use it to buy time and keep your appeal going without a break. Say you recently received medical care and its would appear you could convert the results into NEW evidence. And say, time on your clock is just about run out for a year. You could submit a HLR and even if it is denied, the string isn't broken and it buys you time to get say a new IMO, etc. Could happen.